Clownfish and diamond goby compatibility?

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what you ended up doing? I have a diamondback goby in a 215g tank with 2 mature clowns, he was bored in the 20g quarantine tank! I had one years ago in a 75g, I think that's the right size, just upgrade to a 75 lol My large tank is in the process of being stocked, 2 Tangs are in quarantine right now, being treated for Flukes...highly recommend quarantining fish now!! I never used to, but I'm glad I started to!

The yellow clown goby is a cool fish, I tried to get one online but it died in shipping :( I still plan on getting one for my Biocube 16g, which has 2 black and white clowns and a fire shrimp...who may or may not move to the big tank one day.

I didn't realize there were so many pages of answers on this post! I read page 1 when I commented!

OP
OP
Lily Lemire

Lily Lemire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what you ended up doing? I have a diamondback goby in a 215g tank with 2 mature clowns, he was bored in the 20g quarantine tank! I had one years ago in a 75g, I think that's the right size, just upgrade to a 75 lol My large tank is in the process of being stocked, 2 Tangs are in quarantine right now, being treated for Flukes...highly recommend quarantining fish now!! I never used to, but I'm glad I started to!

The yellow clown goby is a cool fish, I tried to get one online but it died in shipping :( I still plan on getting one for my Biocube 16g, which has 2 black and white clowns and a fire shrimp...who may or may not move to the big tank one day.

Hey ! I finally bought a yellow clown goby and its very happy by himself in a 10 gallons (thinking of upgrading to 20 or 30 and put another fish with it ^_^!) It was ectremely thin when i bought it but fed cyclops and brine shrimp and he is better now . He s one of my fav fishies ♡

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey ! I finally bought a yellow clown goby and its very happy by himself in a 10 gallons (thinking of upgrading to 20 or 30 and put another fish with it ^_^!) It was ectremely thin when i bought it but fed cyclops and brine shrimp and he is better now . He s one of my fav fishies ♡
I'm planning on putting a yellow clown goby with my 2 clown fish in the 16g when I can get more fish.
Petco does their $1 a gallon tank sale once a year, that's a great time to upgrade to a 20g. I'm not sure the max tank size @ $1 a gallon, but I know there is a cut off.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm planning on putting a yellow clown goby with my 2 clown fish in the 16g when I can get more fish.
Petco does their $1 a gallon tank sale once a year, that's a great time to upgrade to a 20g. I'm not sure the max tank size @ $1 a gallon, but I know there is a cut off.

This is also done way more often now. Matter of fact I know since about June I have seen it twice and it may have been more times than that.

10gal = $10
20gal = $20
29gal = $29

For Larger aquariums like the 40gal, 55gal, and 75gal they are 50% off instead of $1 per gallon.
Some Petco will let other smaller size under 30 gallon at a dollar per gallon also like 15 gallon.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say that they make a mess...you mean they they are sand sifters?

Not just sandsifters, SANDSTORM creators. I definitely wouldn't put one in a 10 gallon tank. A single medium sized Diamond Watchman Goby can cloud up a 90 gallon tank. After a couple of deaths, I switched to conch snails and have been much happier with the results. I would add something smaller like a Rainsford/Court Jester Goby and I would definitely pick the tank with a single clownfish provided it hasn't been in there for a long time. The pair of well established clowns would very likely view ANY new addition as a threat/intruder in a tank that small.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think it's 29 gallon, although personally in that range, I would go with the 20 Long for useable space and will be easier to light for corals due to the more shallow depth.

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not just sandsifters, SANDSTORM creators. I definitely wouldn't put one in a 10 gallon tank. A single medium sized Diamond Watchman Goby can cloud up a 90 gallon tank. After a couple of deaths, I switched to conch snails and have been much happier with the results. I would add something smaller like a Rainsford/Court Jester Goby and I would definitely pick the tank with a single clownfish provided it hasn't been in there for a long time. The pair of well established clowns would very likely view ANY new addition as a threat/intruder in a tank that small.

I love my diamond Goby, he's in the 215 now, he's not creating any sandstorms, he has moved around some sand and he's cleaned up pretty well, he's also been out in the open and he seems to really like hanging around the Clown fish territory! They haven't bothered him much but he did swim up to them with his mouth open, not sure why. My 2 orange/white clowns are 9 yrs old, they've been in the 215 for a year.

I also put a conch in the big tank, I haven't seen him since, this was 3 weeks ago, he burrowed under the sand and disappeared! Does your's do this? He burrowed almost immediately, I saw his shell barely visible that night and then nothing since.

I have 2 black/white clowns in a biocube 16 for about 4 months now, but I've had them about a year, they bonded in quarantine.

I just added a Fire Shrimp to the biocube, the clowns couldn't care less about him. I'm thinking a yellow clown Goby would be okay since they stay so small. I don't have corals, just a a few rocks formed into a bridge so they can hang out underneath. I read that clown gobies like to sit on top of the rocks, I'm thinking this would be okay?

Hijacked this post a little... :)

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My conch snails buried for a couple of days after my Melanurus Wrasse tried to make a meal out of them. They popped up a couple of days later during the night time and now are active/feed regularly at night (they are generally nocturnal anyways). A Single conch would get lost much easier in a 210 than 5 would in a 90 gallon though. As for the Diamond Watchman Goby, I am not surprised that he isn't clouding up your 210 much since it has more space/displacement than my 90 gallon does. The OP had just a 10 gallon tank though and the Diamond Watchman Goby would be a terrible choice for a tank of that size as they couldn't possibly get enough food in a tank of that size and would definitely create a mess. As for the Clown Goby in your cube? It should be okay as long as the clowns haven't claimed the whole cube as their own.

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My conch snails buried for a couple of days after my Melanurus Wrasse tried to make a meal out of them. They popped up a couple of days later during the night time and now are active/feed regularly at night (they are generally nocturnal anyways). A Single conch would get lost much easier in a 210 than 5 would in a 90 gallon though. As for the Diamond Watchman Goby, I am not surprised that he isn't clouding up your 210 much since it has more space/displacement than my 90 gallon does. The OP had just a 10 gallon tank though and the Diamond Watchman Goby would be a terrible choice for a tank of that size as they couldn't possibly get enough food in a tank of that size and would definitely create a mess. As for the Clown Goby in your cube? It should be okay as long as the clowns haven't claimed the whole cube as their own.

I did notice the conch was still during the day and active late at night when he was in the QT, I feed later at night too, but there's probably enough in there for him to live under the sand for months! having a bit of an algae problem in that tank, the Goby loves the sand. My 2 clowns in the big tank, have been in there mostly alone for a year, I see them venturing to the other side of the tank, I see the male on one side and the female on the other..I'm worried they're starting to realize they're alone and taking over the mansion! When I see this, I put a net in the water and they go back to their area, usually it's weeks before they start venturing again.

Yes, I agree, a diamond Goby needs space to roam a graze, mine was bored in the 20g QT, I added a little sand just or him, which made him much happier and he loved the Fire Shrimp..who I still feel guilty about putting in the biocube and not with the Goby! :) Maybe some day I'll reunite them.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 31.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 46 26.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 20.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back