Clownfish are savages

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if this is the start of severe aggression. I haven’t seen her nip the blenny but she’s definitely on her tail when she’s cleaning the glass... that being said, I’m planning some cardinals eventually and will add a rock archway for those. What’s the chances she goes after those when I add them? First pic is her mean mug she bites at me but it tickles my betta is twice her size and bites me when I feed so that’s probably why it doesn’t bother me as bad
30411C06-EA37-4FFB-AF46-DBC5F19F2946.jpeg
4256EDAD-C2FD-4A44-9806-7D0FA6CDC3BE.jpeg

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of clowns are those? I don't recall seeing that pattern before.
I love these guys. Where did you get them? I will share a photo of mine tomorrow. I have two pairs. My older pair is around 8 years old. I have learned to not put angels in their tank. Yes their tank. 65 gallons for them. There is a mandarin pair and a purple firefish with them. They asked me to not rent out space to other fish. I respect their choice to privacy.

They were sold to me as frostbite bullethole clowns, they came from TSA. I used to know the name of the place they order clowns from but I can't remember it now.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were sold to me as frostbite bullethole clowns, they came from TSA. I used to know the name of the place they order clowns from but I can't remember it now.

That's what I plan on getting, and I've only seen one place that sells them or at least describes them as bullethole clowns, Pacific East Aquaculture. Regardless, out of the 5 or 6 fish i planning on having, I'll be adding them last. Thx for sharing. Really beautiful.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When the New York Yankees manager, Aaron Boone, made a reference to "savages in the box" this past year most people thought he was referring to his players in the batters box -- who knew that he was actually referring to clownfish in an aquarium!?! ;Wideyed

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My larger Maroon. Maybe 2 inches. She's fed the bta a yellowtail damsel, and has drawn blood from my girlfriends hand. She'll swim 4ft just to bite the **** outta me while working in the tank.

20191119_144124.jpg

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Never heard that before. What kind of Clown fish are they? I've heard Maroon Clowns are pretty aggressive.
I got a pair of flurry clownfish. They will bite and shake causing bleeding. I have to wear gloves if I put my hands in my tank. I've tried flicking at them and chasing them to scare them of my hand, but they don't give a dang. They even tried biting me when I tried to net them to move them to a new display.

exasperatus2002

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I removed a live rock from my display and didnt realize one of my damsel was hiding in there. He was out for a few minute and I put him back into the display. He was alive trying to catch his breath and then suddenly my 2 clowns dragged him into my bubbletip. RIP damsel. Couldn't react fast enough.
dang, that was cold. Makes me wanna ask, was the damsels name...Kenny? Gotta love nature.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I must have the least aggressive clowns ever...Laura (the big female) doesn’t mess with her mate (Mini-Me) and only lazily messes with my damsel. It’s almost like it’s fun for her rather than mean spirited. She has never bitten me or tried to, and always tries to photobomb when I’m next to the glass. Even with I added the second clown (months later like a fool) she just kinda swam over and looked at him, and he did a shudder move and that was that, they’ve been inseparable ever since.
9A1E111D-2683-4CA9-9AA9-9AC00635604D.jpeg

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I must have the least aggressive clowns ever...Laura (the big female) doesn’t mess with her mate (Mini-Me) and only lazily messes with my damsel. It’s almost like it’s fun for her rather than mean spirited. She has never bitten me or tried to, and always tries to photobomb when I’m next to the glass. Even with I added the second clown (months later like a fool) she just kinda swam over and looked at him, and he did a shudder move and that was that, they’ve been inseparable ever since.
9A1E111D-2683-4CA9-9AA9-9AC00635604D.jpeg

How lucky!

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if it’s a trend or not, but many of these posts seem to be describing “designer” clowns, (What I call GMO clowns). Either way, it’s always better to be lucky than good!

It very well could be. I also have a smaller lightning Maroon, he does nothing but hangout by the gyre on the opposite side of the tank all day. He could care less what anyone else is doing. Now the bigger Thunder maroon on the other hand... the only things she leaves alone are my yellow tang and my Betta. She even chases the 2 shrimp and picks at my long spine urchin. I feel bad for everyone living in that tank. I've caught her with mouth fulls of bristleworm as well. Didn't even know I had any until then.
I can't catch her to pull her out, so I'm just waiting for something to get her for me so we can all live happily ever after

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if it’s a trend or not, but many of these posts seem to be describing “designer” clowns, (What I call GMO clowns). Either way, it’s always better to be lucky than good!
Pretty sure mine would be considered "designer" and they are pretty much docile. They don't bother me or any other fish I have in my tank and the female doesn't pick on the Male. They are some of the smallest of my fish though.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It very well could be. I also have a smaller lightning Maroon, he does nothing but hangout by the gyre on the opposite side of the tank all day. He could care less what anyone else is doing. Now the bigger Thunder maroon on the other hand... the only things she leaves alone are my yellow tang and my Betta. She even chases the 2 shrimp and picks at my long spine urchin. I feel bad for everyone living in that tank. I've caught her with mouth fulls of bristleworm as well. Didn't even know I had any until then.
I can't catch her to pull her out, so I'm just waiting for something to get her for me so we can all live happily ever after
What a lovely creature ;)

saw a post on here the other day, poor guy had a clown decide to destroy his new high end acro frag. Even after he moved it lol

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine love my wedding ring, if I don't glove and do a quick reach in to pick something up etc (frag got knocked over for example) they all attack the wedding ring, thankfully rings don't bleed so my hands stay safe. My ring is alexandrite btw if someone else wants to try it as a distraction.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back