Clownfish are savages

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just about all fish are opportunistic swine. If they ‘think’ they’ve an advantage, or see opportunity, they’ll press it. The last time I ran a small tank, the dominant was a large piece chalk basslet - supposed to be mild mannered ..... not mine! BTW, it is common for clowns to actively feed their host anemone. It part of the mutulaistic relationship. Fish feed anemone and chase away nippers; anemone provides shelter and protection.
Mine steel food from my anemone.

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally just made a thread about my experience in the clownfish and anemone section.
My Allardi clowns feeding live ocellaris to my anemone. Now I understand exactly what people mean about their savage nature.

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally just made a thread about my experience in the clownfish and anemone section.
My Allardi clowns feeding live ocellaris to my anemone. Now I understand exactly what people mean about their savage nature.

Looks like you win the "Savagist (?) Clownfish Award". Congrats to you and your little savages

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here are my Bullet Hole clowns or how I like to refer to them as, Chicago Clowns. Meet Bonnie & Clyde. Bought them from Pacific East Aquaculture. Pick them up on Saturday.

Beautiful! Definitely post pics of them in your tank!

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful! Definitely post pics of them in your tank!

Thx, Daniel. I'm picking them up on Saturday and should have some pictures of them on my build page some time Saturday night. But I'll try to stop by here too and post a pic or 2.

Last edited:

autoxgt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The paired clowns in my 20 are monsters. They have fed their nem a six line wrasse and a target mandarin. Both of which were in the tank first. Both killings took place with-in a week of each other. Of the 6 clowns I have, these are the only ones that actively feed their nem.
These guys also attack anything that goes in the tank. so its just them and a cardinal that is too big for them to man handle at this point.

3 of my other 4 clowns are absolutely docile and the big female in my 90 is only as aggressive as she needs to be to keep the other fish away from her area.

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update on my clowns. They had these new tank mates since last year November and everyone has been getting along really well. I saw my wrasse swimming through my anemones tentacles the other day. He dosent seem bothered by it.

After lights out.

exasperatus2002

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I removed a live rock from my display and didnt realize one of my damsel was hiding in there. He was out for a few minute and I put him back into the display. He was alive trying to catch his breath and then suddenly my 2 clowns dragged him into my bubbletip. RIP damsel. Couldn't react fast enough.
Everytime I see this thread pop back up all I can think of is the scene from Riddick....

RalphTech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Max and Moritz were paired snowflake bullet hole sharing a tank with a large cardinal and pajama cardinal. When I viewed Max jerking and rubbing Moritz I thought mating had begun after a year together. Next day Moritz was distressed an sideways so I quarantined but it was too late. so Max murdered his tank mate. He seems okay but I remind him what he did.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back