Clownfish brooklynella, need quick advice!

mkuhl70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I recently added a new clown to my existing 30 gallon bio cube that has had a different clown in it for over a year. I qt'ed the new clown for 2 weeks before putting him in. Im sure I did not do this process right as both clowns now appear to have brooklynella (I am 99% sure it is brooklynella, all classic symptoms are there). I have no LFS close to me, my only options that I have is a Walmart. I picked up "jungle ick guard" that has the active ingredient "nitromersol and Victoria green", im hesitant to add this to to the tank. I also ordered seachem metroplex and ruby red reef rally. They are not getting to my house until Tuesday and friday respectively. Basically im asking if there is anything I can do to save these guys. I have been adding Kent extreme garlic as thats the only meds I have. Should I use the jungle ick guard as a last resort? Any advice is welcome at this point. Thank you.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can freshwater dip your clowns to try to buy you some time until your meds arrive. Here’s Humblefish’s method:

Fill a bucket with RODI water, and use a heater to match the temperature to the water the fish is coming from. Aerate the water heavily for at least 30 minutes prior to doing the dip, then discontinue aeration while performing the dip. Fish aren’t overly pH sensitive for short durations like this, but you can squirt a little saltwater into the dip just before the fish goes in to help bring it up.

Place the fish in the freshwater (FW) dip and observe closely. It is not unusual for them to freak out a little at first. Also, some fish “play dead” during a FW dip. The important thing is to watch their gills; they should be breathing heavily at all times. If breathing slows, it’s time to exit the dip! (It’s also important that the fish remains upright & swimming at all times, so chase him a little with your finger if he lays on the bottom.) Dip the fish for no longer than 5 minutes. Multiple dips may be done, but it’s important to give your fish 24-48 hours to recuperate in-between dips.

OP
OP
M

mkuhl70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can freshwater dip your clowns to try to buy you some time until your meds arrive. Here’s Humblefish’s method:

Fill a bucket with RODI water, and use a heater to match the temperature to the water the fish is coming from. Aerate the water heavily for at least 30 minutes prior to doing the dip, then discontinue aeration while performing the dip. Fish aren’t overly pH sensitive for short durations like this, but you can squirt a little saltwater into the dip just before the fish goes in to help bring it up.

Place the fish in the freshwater (FW) dip and observe closely. It is not unusual for them to freak out a little at first. Also, some fish “play dead” during a FW dip. The important thing is to watch their gills; they should be breathing heavily at all times. If breathing slows, it’s time to exit the dip! (It’s also important that the fish remains upright & swimming at all times, so chase him a little with your finger if he lays on the bottom.) Dip the fish for no longer than 5 minutes. Multiple dips may be done, but it’s important to give your fish 24-48 hours to recuperate in-between dips.
Ok thank you I will do this

OP
OP
M

mkuhl70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok both clowns received a 4 minute 45 second freshwater dip in RODI water. They are both still breathing heavily but at the bottom of the tank. I aimed my power head at the surface and placed an air stone in the tank so there will be maximum O2 circulation. My plan of action is to do this tomorrow and Tuesday and then begin my metroplex treatment as well as the Ruby reef rally when they get here. Hopefully they make it until then.

OP
OP
M

mkuhl70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new clown was dead when I came back to work. The original clown has a new lesion on his head. My Metroplex doesn't get here until tomorrow afternoon. All I can do is perform another freshwater dip and hope for the best. This really is heartbreaking ive had only this fish for a year and right when I get him a friend he's gonna die.

OP
OP
M

mkuhl70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Surviving clown is still alive as of Tuesday. I received Kanaplex and metroplex by Seachem and have dosed the tank to the manufacturer recommendations. Fish has 2 spots on him that don't look great but aren't horrible. Tail is rotted all the way down to the orange color. Im not sure how fast this stuff works but im hoping I can get him to eat, if he does that I think he will make it.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear that your original clown is hanging in there and that you’ve begun treatment. Any chance you can post a pic of him?

OP
OP
M

mkuhl70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on Wednesday. He is still alive, Im hoping he will eat tonight but im not to hopeful. The photo is hard to see but he has white stringy poo, some white spots/lesions, and his tail has deteriorated almost all the way off. Will this grow back?

pic 1.png pic 2.png

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting the pics. It looks like he has a pretty aggressive infection. Any chance you can get a hold of Furan-2 medication? It can be dosed with Metroplex and Kanaplex. I’ve saved a few fish with this combination. If the tail loss is down to muscle the tail won’t grow back.

OP
OP
M

mkuhl70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 weeks and 4 days after I noticed the disease, my last fish has died. Initially he started doing better, was eating my medicated food eagerly everyday/ every other day. Then yesterday he didn't eat and I knew he was about to be gone. I did a bath in ruby reef last night again but today he died. Lessons learned are to do a medicated quarantine, not just an observation period. Also, keep a bottle of various fish meds on deck because that 2 day amazon shipping isn't going to be fast enough. And also be wary of memfish LFS in Memphis, TN. Clearly the clowns there at least are carrying something.

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 weeks and 4 days after I noticed the disease, my last fish has died. Initially he started doing better, was eating my medicated food eagerly everyday/ every other day. Then yesterday he didn't eat and I knew he was about to be gone. I did a bath in ruby reef last night again but today he died. Lessons learned are to do a medicated quarantine, not just an observation period. Also, keep a bottle of various fish meds on deck because that 2 day amazon shipping isn't going to be fast enough. And also be wary of memfish LFS in Memphis, TN. Clearly the clowns there at least are carrying something.
yea thats the bad thing about it most times when you notice something it will take you a few days before you have everything to treat a fish disease so you gotta have everything on hand before anything pops up

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back