Clownfish Couple

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by Deniss, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Deniss

Deniss Active Member

Hi there,

I have had these clownfish for over a year now, they were always fine. One colored darker then the other, never attacked each other. But since yesterday the "black"colored clownfish is always searching up the other clownfish... to a point that he is not even hosting his euphyllia anymore but sitting in corners of the tank.

What does this behaviour mean, they were always fine with each other, each hosted there own euphyllia.

crabs_mcjones likes this.
    Tags:

2. crabs_mcjones

crabs_mcjones Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

How small were they when you first got them?

3. Deniss

Deniss Active Member

They were really small, baby clownfish. I bought them from LFS, where they sat with 50+ in one tank. I have them for a good year in my tank now, the one that colored darker during this period is chasing the other
    all the time now. They were fine for all these months, ate together, hosted each there own euphyllia. And suddenly it's big beef, the clownfish that gets chased doesn't fight back. Sometimes it looks like, they do a sort of dance to each other.

4. crabs_mcjones

crabs_mcjones Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

What's most likely happening is that they've reached sexual maturity and they're establishing which one will become female and which one will become male. They will fight, and one will do like a jittery shake to the other. It's just them determining which one will become male and female. Nothing to worry about :)

Deniss and DieHardPhotog-Reefer like this.
  5. DieHardPhotog-Reefer

DieHardPhotog-Reefer Member

Thanks for sharing this! We just started our tank about a month ago with 5 Percula clowns and they've started this jitter dance (it looked like they were having seizures) and it would often happen when one was being chased by another. How long does this last and should we care which one becomes female? Note: they were all bought from the same tank in our LFS as we bought 5 of the 6 in that specific tank.

6. crabs_mcjones

It usually lasts a couple months, youll start to see one get bigger and one stay about the same size. The one that becomes larger will be the female. And you shouldn't care which one becomes female as there isn't really anything you can do about it, they're going to make the choice lol :)

7. Deniss

Deniss Active Member

Thanks mate, so i let them do there thing?

The poor guy is now trying to hide, but the other keeps searching the whole tank just to find him.

Draft saved Draft deleted