Clownfish Died - Nitrate Spike

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't ask about surface agitation but with 2 MP40s I assume you have quite a bit of water surface movement for gas exchange?

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty new to this also but, kinda sounds like your fish had either ick or velvet and it wasn’t detected. I had fish mysteriously die until I decided to start qt’ing them and copper treating and prazipro treating. Now I’m just waiting for my fallow period to be done so that I can reintroduced them to my DT. Qt’ing is an initial pain in the a** but, gets routine once it’s done. Outta the 6 fish I had 2 are still kicking and look happy as can be. Qt’ing is definitely part of my new fish routine. Good luck, hope this helps!

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unseen disease seems to be like the only thing that could make sense here at this point... I would put a snail in your tank just to start with and see if it goes a week before trying to fish again.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the clown drip acclimated properly?
From what I’ve learned.....Clowns are hardy fish. If I’m correct, if your salinity is lower than the salinity from where you bought your fish, just temp acclimating is necessary (it’s a fish bladder thing). If it’s not, temp acclimation and a few oz of DT water into bag with fish should be fine with a clown, based off of my experiences. My LFS keeps their salinity higher than I do (seems to be the trend with LFS’), so I temp acclimate them and then they go directly into the qt tank for treatment period. Inverts need to be drip acclimated....

redeyejedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I’ve learned.....Clowns are hardy fish. If I’m correct, if your salinity is lower than the salinity from where you bought your fish, just temp acclimating is necessary (it’s a fish bladder thing). If it’s not, temp acclimation and a few oz of DT water into bag with fish should be fine with a clown, based off of my experiences. My LFS keeps their salinity higher than I do (seems to be the trend with LFS’), so I temp acclimate them and then they go directly into the qt tank for treatment period. Inverts need to be drip acclimated....
I know what your saying. But ive never acclimated a coral, only bring it up to temp with 0% failure. I only drip acclimate fish whether they are hardy or not as it then depends on how fast you transfer the water to the bag.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what your saying. But ive never acclimated a coral, only bring it up to temp with 0% failure. I only drip acclimate fish whether they are hardy or not as it then depends on how fast you transfer the water to the bag.
They only livestock I’m really careful with have been my mini carpet nem, rockflower nem and my shrimp. Fish, in my experience have been pretty hardy with the acclimation process. I’m just trying to keep OP from going down to many rabbit holes. This hobby is overwhelming at times.

redeyejedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They only livestock I’m really careful with have been my mini carpet nem, rockflower nem and my shrimp. Fish, in my experience have been pretty hardy with the acclimation process. I’m just trying to keep OP from going down to many rabbit holes. This hobby is overwhelming at times.
If all the op parameters are in check then its still a possibility that water was added to fast.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all the op parameters are in check then its still a possibility that water was added to fast.
Being genuine....... what’s the timeline for a clownfish death if not acclimated right? Saturday to Tuesday sounds a lil long for the fish to be normal then suddenly die. I have seen normal fish activity for weeks then sudden death, that is why I’m skeptical on the acclimation process being done wrong rather than fish disease.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back