Clownfish Fighting

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, about a week ago my clownfish started fighting. Ive had my clownfish for about two years now, and they have never fought before. My smaller clownfish is now picking on the bigger one. They are similar in size, but one is a little bigger than the other. The bigger ones fins are getting tattered and now spends most of the day hiding from the other. They used to swim together and sleep together for the last two years, but now they don't. Im wondering if I should be doing anything to keep them from fighting, or if I should remove one of the clowns. Thanks! My tank is a 93 gallon cube btw.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the more aggressive clown in sump time out for a few days.
If that doesn't help remove both an put them in a 10 gallon tank with a divider so they can see each other but don't fight each other.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's rare, but sometimes a male will transition to a female, even with a female present. When this happens fighting can get pretty bad. If one doesn't let the othet out and about, then one needs to be removed, as neither will revert back to male, and females can be quite intolerant of each other.

OP
OP
Longnose Hawkfish

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. If the fighting continues for one or two more days than I will try to separate them for a bit and go from there.

OP
OP
Longnose Hawkfish

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Segalplayer after about 5 days of fighting they stopped but ever since have never been as social to each other as before. The smaller clownfish is now the same size as the bigger one, but they get along fine. No more fighting between them thank goodness

Segalplayer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to separate bcs she was tearing up his right side fin and I don’t want him to get more hurt...how long should I seperate them?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to separate bcs she was tearing up his right side fin and I don’t want him to get more hurt...how long should I seperate them?
Once aggression gets bad enough where they need to be separated in the first place, they most likely can't be put back together.

OP
OP
Longnose Hawkfish

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well poop that makes me very sad

If it gives you any hope, my larger clownfish was getting her fins torn and I was about to remove her the next day and then they stopped fighting. I was probably lucky though. Hope everything works out for you.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back