Clownfish Flashing/rubbing on rock

JeancC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys just wanted to make a post here and show a behavior I notice my clownfish do recently. It’s always only just the same rock he would rub against on and then go about his day swimming. I read some articles saying it could seem just natural and what they do but it also could be an external parasite. Any thoughts would be appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_2255.MOV
    69.5 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey guys just wanted to make a post here and show a behavior I notice my clownfish do recently. It’s always only just the same rock he would rub against on and then go about his day swimming. I read some articles saying it could seem just natural and what they do but it also could be an external parasite. Any thoughts would be appreciated
This is clear scratching from some type of irritant and likely flukes. Before reacting with treatment which would be prazi Pro, you can give it a 5 minute freshwater bath using tap water the same temperature as the display tank. It will offer relief and dislodge what is irritating it. If behavior continues, you can then apply praziPro by applying initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite. If running a skimmer, leave cup off first 24 hrs as skimmer will go nuts from the glycol solution in Prazi

OP
OP
JeancC

JeancC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is clear scratching from some type of irritant and likely flukes. Before reacting with treatment which would be prazi Pro, you can give it a 5 minute freshwater bath using tap water the same temperature as the display tank. It will offer relief and dislodge what is irritating it. If behavior continues, you can then apply praziPro by applying initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite. If running a skimmer, leave cup off first 24 hrs as skimmer will go nuts from the glycol solution in Prazi
Would it have to tap water or could RO water work? My tap water in the area I’m in isn’t the best so I wouldn’t know if that would be more harmful.

OP
OP
JeancC

JeancC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also bought a cleaner shrimp recently for reasons like this. Is there a chance the cleaner shrimp would assist this clownfish?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Would it have to tap water or could RO water work? My tap water in the area I’m in isn’t the best so I wouldn’t know if that would be more harmful.
For tap - Use a pinch of Baking soda or baking soda in RO. RO is lower in ph why tap is often used but bad water a no-no

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I also bought a cleaner shrimp recently for reasons like this. Is there a chance the cleaner shrimp would assist this clownfish?
Cleaner shrimp are a myth when it comes to parasite removal and other issues such as flukes and get their name from their interaction with aquatic life. They in essence pick off minute parasites, mucus, dead tissue, and other microorganisms such as flukes and even food particles attached to mucus of fish.

OP
OP
JeancC

JeancC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For tap - Use a pinch of Baking soda or baking soda in RO. RO is lower in ph why tap is often used but bad water a no-no
Okay ill be sure to water a freshwater dip video at work and try this out with the RO water and baking soda for 5 minutes like you said to see if that'll get rid of the flukes on him. Appreciate the insight!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay ill be sure to water a freshwater dip video at work and try this out with the RO water and baking soda for 5 minutes like you said to see if that'll get rid of the flukes on him. Appreciate the insight!

In addition to this likely being flukes, the larger clown is hassling this one. If that doesn't settle down, you may need to separate them.

Jay

OP
OP
JeancC

JeancC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to this likely being flukes, the larger clown is hassling this one. If that doesn't settle down, you may need to separate them.

Jay
I'll definitely note that and keep an eye on the bigger one. the hassle has never been super bad with nipping fins or fighting, it seemed moreso that the so to be female was just asserting dominance to establish who what in the pairing. I'm not super sure where they are in the pairing process completely though. They so swim together sometimes and sleep in the same corner sometimes as well. I've been trying to see if they could host a frogspawn to have a better place to sleep together.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 56 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back