Clownfish has some sort of rot/infection

Colenew1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I have a clownfish with a rotting patch near its anus, I noticed his fins are splitting a bit. I introduced a second clown last week from a different fish store and it died within 2 days I’m wondering if it transmitted its disease to this one! he’s eating fine but seems a bit lethargic, my LFS said it is either bacterial or fungal so I have done a freshwater 3 min dip and dosed with metroplex and am hoping this will clear it up, water parameters are normal! I love this little dude and I just would love to know what’s wrong!
79E72075-3E3C-4CBC-A427-B10FFE14F89E.jpeg

this is my first saltwater aquarium so I’d love any information!

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand. For bacterial infection it is best to treat the water column with Furan and Seachem Neoplex. You should in addition feed these two medications and bind them to fish food by applying Seachem Focus into the mix.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me clarify though. These medications are not reef safe and will have ill affects on inverts, coral, etc.

By adding Seachem focus in the food mix it now binds to the food making it reef safe technically.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks bacterial to me as well, but I know some parasites that reside in the fishes vent (bum) can cause internal hemorrhaging, which can look similar to that.

OP
OP
Colenew1

Colenew1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me clarify though. These medications are not reef safe and will have ill affects on inverts, coral, etc.

By adding Seachem focus in the food mix it now binds to the food making it reef safe technically.
I was about to ask! I'm going to run to the store and get them right now thank you so much!

OP
OP
Colenew1

Colenew1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks bacterial to me as well, but I know some parasites that reside in the fishes vent (bum) can cause internal hemorrhaging, which can look similar to that.
I did a freshwater dip just in case it was a parasite, anything else I can do to help with that?

Also how often should I be doing dips during this time?

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would not be the worst idea to grab Seachem Kanaplex and Metroplex while you're add it. Start to equip yourself with an arsenal of medications just in case.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait 24 - 48 hours between dips. Did you notice anything fall off the fish? Was there any improvement?

OP
OP
Colenew1

Colenew1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would not be the worst idea to grab Seachem Kanaplex and Metroplex while you're add it. Start to equip yourself with an arsenal of medications just in case.

Good luck! Keep us posted.
Will do thanks! Also your tank is absolutely stunning

OP
OP
Colenew1

Colenew1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately he just passed away :( any tips on how I can prevent this kind of thing in the future?

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. The best way is to QT before adding to your display tank. I'd let your tank run fallow (without fish) for minimum 6 weeks just to eliminate the possibility of parasites.

If you choose not to quarantine moving forward you risk this happening again in the future. You can purchase from reputable vendors that have some quarantine process in place such as LiveAquaria Divers Den or Humblefish Aquatics. Conduct FWD upon arrival before placing in display and hope for the best.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Colenew1

Colenew1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m going to invest in a QT tank! Wow you read my mind my next question was how long until I can restock! Thanks again for all your help!

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure man! QT tanks can be pretty easy and inexpensive. All you need is 10 or 20 gallon tank. Petco is running special where you pay $1 per gallon so a 20 gallon will cost you $20. You'll need a HOB filter, aquaclear filters are great and less than $25. A cheap heater and powerhead. You can find these on amazon for pretty cheap. Last thing is an ammonia alert badge and PVC piping for hiding spots for the fish.

Here are some links.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and a bottle of BIOSPIRA to get the bacteria going. Good luck!

Let me know if you have any questions. :)

OP
OP
Colenew1

Colenew1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow wow wow this is so helpful! Can I use this to QT coral frags as well? I guess I’d need a light right?

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll need a light and you eliminate administering medications if your fish gets sick. In that case if you want to QT corals and inverts you would need 2 separate QT tanks which is a smart idea but do you have space and $$$ is the real question. LOL

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 9.2%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 39 27.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 68 48.2%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back