Clownfish hiding all of a sudden

CaliCO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 29 gallon with two 1" clownfish and a blood red fire shrimp thats about 2". This morning I looked in my tank and couldn't find the smaller non-dominant clownfish anywhere. I thought maybe the fire shrimp took him out in the night. I then found a super sneaky little cave the clownfish is hiding in. I got him to come out when I turned off all the flow during feeding, but he didn't really eat anything and was swimming kind of slow. I noticed a little nip out of his top fin. Who do you think the culprit is? Dominant clown attacked him or the shrimp? Will he regain his confidence and come out eventually? I'm thinking maybe the dominant clown was just exerting its dominance and now the little guy is scared to come out. Are fire shrimp known to attack smaller fish?

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be the other clown. They might settle down and act as a pair, they might not. How long have you had them and did you pick them out yourself out of dozens to chose from?

OP
OP
C

CaliCO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be the other clown. They might settle down and act as a pair, they might not. How long have you had them and did you pick them out yourself out of dozens to chose from?

They've been cruising around together just fine in the past with only minor aggression from the dominant one. Have had them together for two weeks and yes I picked them out of a group. One is clearly bigger than the other. As the day has gone on, I'm starting to think the little guy might not make it. Water parameters are good but he's swimming really weakly and seems sick or something. Just chillin in a cave at the bottom and not really moving much. The dominant one keeps going to check on the other one and chill with him for a bit.. and then goes back to swimming around exploring.

MaxxuM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish are funny that way. They can be together for a month, the next they are arguing again. The pecking will come and go. To help reduce this behavior you can feed more often (in smaller amounts) and stay further away from the tank. Your presence can rial them up and activate their defense mechanism.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The larger is likely a female and aggressor. Assure the hider has no damage, torn fins, etc causing it to retreat.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to consider isolating him. They make isolation boxes that you can put him in within the tank. This will give him a chance to heal while still allowing them to interact.

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely aggression from the other clown... sooner or later one will win the fight and become the dominant one.. thus becoming the female.. clowns are weird little creatures.

giphy.gif

OP
OP
C

CaliCO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I don't think the little guy is gonna make it. He was getting tossed around in the flow so I turned everything off for a while. Now hes bumping into stuff and swimming with no control kind of in rapid spirals at times. It looks like both of the sides of the white stripe above his head are kind of pinkish not on his gills but like his temple region. Double checked my parameters again and everything is perfect. Any idea what this could be? Just one of those fish that dont make it I guess.

OP
OP
C

CaliCO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a case of swim bladder actually considering my parameters are spot on.. Poor little guy.

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're not maroon clowns I assume.
As previously stated the larger male is establishing he's in charge and in about 12 months time will become a female.
Depending on how bad he is, you need to isolate your weaker clown as previously suggested, for respite, otherwise you could lose him if the attacks are sustained. If he is resting in a cave by himself taking shelter then this is just part of the process and I suggest you leave him. The fighting should reduce eventually and they should pair up.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back