clownfish in a 1 gallon

  • Thread starter Thread starter ReeferBill
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ReeferBill

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 22, 2008
Messages
832
Reaction score
249
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on putting one clownfish with minimal liverock in a 1 gallon tank? It would be the only fish in there, maybe some crabs and small inverts. Anyone try this and succeed or fail?
Thanks,
Bill
 
Definitely not. They normally need a 20 gallon minimum, although 29 is preferred. I wouldn't put any fish in there at all.
 
Succeed for how long is the question.

I do not feel it's enough water.
 
I have seen the being bred in aquariums that were 10 gallons or even 5 gallons and they survived for years. But I wasnt sure about that small either. Thanks for the reply.
 
I have two in my 12g and they're happy and healthy.
 
I have one in my 8 gallon and it is fine. It is a very tiny tiny little cutie though. Luckily, I do have larger tanks that I can move him into when he grows up.
 
I kept two small clowns (and a yellow watchman goby) alive in a five gallon bucket with an airstone and a heater for three weeks while a new tank cycled, swapping it for a fresh bucket of water each week. The fact that this emergency measure succeeded doesn't mean it was necessarily a good idea. "Can" does not equal "should".
 
I vote no.
 
I vote no.

I agree... just because something is small does not mean it doesn't like space. Something can "survive" in awful situations and it's not ideal. 1 gallon for a clown fish is like a clown car for a bunch of clowns... funny but not really...
 
I agree... just because something is small does not mean it doesn't like space. Something can "survive" in awful situations and it's not ideal. 1 gallon for a clown fish is like a clown car for a bunch of clowns... funny but not really...

I agree. Clownfish aren't strong swimmers but they still like to move around. Plus in my experience they're happier in pairs. Good luck!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 2 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new