Clownfish is hosting hammer, will it move to an anemone eventually?

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found one online that is being labeled as a pacific white tipped BTA, polyp morph looks similar and with white tips. @Eagle_Steve don't the striations around the mouth a characteristic of only bubble tips?

1658857910884.png

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found one online that is being labeled as a pacific white tipped BTA, polyp morph looks similar and with white tips. @Eagle_Steve don't the striations around the mouth a characteristic of only bubble tips?

1658857910884.png
The striations would help to ID if we knew the OPs had them. It would eliminate a mag from the mix, but some sebae also have striations on the oral disk.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree that it looks most like a bta from the pics provided. Pics of the mouth and column would help confirm.

OP
OP
banghair

banghair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have one exaxtly like that. It was a purplish/green (green was when lights were close to 10,000k and purple was when lights were closer to 20,000k and if all blue led bars were on, it kind of looked almost black) with very white tips. it was a BTA and acted just like most GBTA do, (in regards to usually lower light in a tank than an RBTA would typically go to). Sadly, it decided to move, rolled into my neon green haddoni (the massive one) and the haddoni ate it.

With that said, If a pic of the mouth and foot could be obtained, I could tell you for sure if it is a bta. Sometimes sebae come in looking like this and even bubble up a little at the tips. Not common though and the fact that the nem is in the rocks and not at the sand steers me away from even thinking of it being Sebae. I have even seen baby mags look like this, so that is even a possibility, but I doubt it.
dang literally saw it’s foot today! If I see it again I’ll snap another pic.

OP
OP
banghair

banghair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get it from? Almost looks like some of the torches out there. Those tips look too bright under the blues to be bleached in my opinion. Typically under blues a bleached specimen will just be drowned out by the blues, this almost seems like the tips are fluorescing. They might also be calling the tips white but more likely they are some other color that is just really light in color.
Canada Corals which from my understanding is pretty reputable for corals.

Link here: https://www.canadacorals.com/products/white-tip-bubble-tip-anemones

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The heart wants what the heart wants.
So true, my clowns are very rough lovers… they love things to death unfortunately!
They are hosting a green and purple hammer currently, opposite side of the tank as the dragon soul and pink tip,
Right now I’ve given them some gsp that I’m hoping they’ll host, fingers crossed

bxclent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title states my clownfish has been hosting my hammer, only got a week ish. I have an anemone and my clown hasn’t seemed to even care about it. Will it eventually notice the anemone and move to it? Or will it stay at the hammer?
Who knows ???
My 2 tank raised percula clownfish ignore everything and my baby frostbite hosts a clove coral even though I have anemones, torch and 2 hammers. Clownfish will do what they do.....

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title states my clownfish has been hosting my hammer, only got a week ish. I have an anemone and my clown hasn’t seemed to even care about it. Will it eventually notice the anemone and move to it? Or will it stay at the hammer?
Just be glad something other than a top corner of your tank isn’t the host spot for yours. Mine has chosen a corner and they like to splash water all over the rim. Currently have 9 nems all around 5 inches away from the spot they chose.

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clowns will eventually kill your hammer or torch or whatever other euphyllia coral that hosts them - my guess is that the constant stinging depletes the euphyllia to the point of death. I've had this happen 2x already. Got rid of the nems as they become more of a nuisance once they start multiplying in my 180 mixed reef. Now clowns are hosted by Goni - no problems so far.

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns don’t host
Truth. It’s like you going over to someone’s house who is throwing a party then saying that you are hosting the party because you are there. Unless it’s a disease…then they host.

Smoke-Town

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My black and white clown finally killed this goni after a few months of violently hosting it. And they have 3 large bta that they host. But still leave and now hosts an alveopora near the anemones.. luckily it seems to tolerate the clowns much more than this coral did. This goni I belive was wild caught tho.

20220507_142118.jpg

Clowns will just host all sorts of things over time. Doesn't even need to be long polyps or soft or even aliv3. Could be a powerhead or the scrapper magnet or an overflow. No ryhme or reason. Just random nonsense

Back