Clownfish is hosting hammer, will it move to an anemone eventually?

banghair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title states my clownfish has been hosting my hammer, only got a week ish. I have an anemone and my clown hasn’t seemed to even care about it. Will it eventually notice the anemone and move to it? Or will it stay at the hammer?

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as clowns are captive bred nowadays, most have never seen an anemone nor have their great great great grandparents. While they probably still have some instinct to find something that will host it (willingly or not), it is up to chance whether they will choose the anemone over the hammer. What kind of clownfish do you have and what kind of anemone?

OP
OP
banghair

banghair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as clowns are captive bred nowadays, most have never seen an anemone nor have their great great great grandparents. While they probably still have some instinct to find something that will host it (willingly or not), it is up to chance whether they will choose the anemone over the hammer. What kind of clownfish do you have and what kind of anemone?
Black Ice Ocellaris, I actually have two anemones, but one hides at night.

White bubble tip, and acid rain anemone. Acid rain is the one that’s out always.

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black Ice Ocellaris, I actually have two anemones, but one hides at night.

White bubble tip, and acid rain anemone. Acid rain is the one that’s out always.
Yeah I mean I have 2 regular Ocellaris and neither of them care about any of the 5 bubble tip anemones I have. I’m hoping as they sexually mature they will looking to the anemones to host them. The one I assume to be female has shown the most interest in my anemones but I have yet to see any interaction. Some have been successful with taping pictures of clownfish in anemones, others have reported using ipad videos on replay for their fish, some have taken both the clowns and anemone into a basket in the tank so they are in closer proximity but to be honest I would just give them time.

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something I have done that helped clownfish host an anemone is use a coral feeder to mysis about an inch from the tentacles. The clownfish will go after the food diving into the anemone. For me it took about a week of doing this and they started hosting the anemone full time.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More concerned about a white BTA than whether or not it will host the clowns. Clowns do what they do. Took mine over 2 years to be hosted and now they bite me any time my hands in the tank.

OP
OP
banghair

banghair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

More concerned about a white BTA than whether or not it will host the clowns. Clowns do what they do. Took mine over 2 years to be hosted and now they bite me any time my hands in the tank.

That’s just the type of anemone it is. Maybe it’s called something different but that’s the name it was sold under. I guess I’ll just have to wait and see. Thankfully it’s pretty gentle with my hammer.

OP
OP
banghair

banghair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something I have done that helped clownfish host an anemone is use a coral feeder to mysis about an inch from the tentacles. The clownfish will go after the food diving into the anemone. For me it took about a week of doing this and they started hosting the anemone full time.
I will definitely try this!

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That’s just the type of anemone it is. Maybe it’s called something different but that’s the name it was sold under. I guess I’ll just have to wait and see. Thankfully it’s pretty gentle with my hammer.
Have a picture of it? Usually the only time you see white BTA are when they're bleached. As far as an anemone hosting a clown I would just be patient. It took me over 2 years, hundreds in anemone and being persistent with every trick I could find on the internet. Now they are territorial and bite me every time I have a hand in the tank.

OP
OP
banghair

banghair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a picture of it? Usually the only time you see white BTA are when they're bleached. As far as an anemone hosting a clown I would just be patient. It took me over 2 years, hundreds in anemone and being persistent with every trick I could find on the internet. Now they are territorial and bite me every time I have a hand in the tank.
I dropped my phone in a lake this weekend so haha, so these are the best photos I have as it’s hiding right now because the lights are ramping down. Don’t have an orange lens for my camera so the colour is a little off compared to the link but in real life it pretty much looks exactly the same as the picture.

Attachments

• 0847C3B8-6C7A-4505-8B9E-A918B1B1FD23.jpeg
    0847C3B8-6C7A-4505-8B9E-A918B1B1FD23.jpeg
    559.4 KB · Views: 63

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dropped my phone in a lake this weekend so haha, so these are the best photos I have as it’s hiding right now because the lights are ramping down. Don’t have an orange lens for my camera so the colour is a little off compared to the link but in real life it pretty much looks exactly the same as the picture.
Tomorrow when the anemone comes back out post some pics in white light. Curious now.

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah agree, an all white (almost translucent) BTA might be bleached but there are some color morphs that have some very light colored tips that they are calling "white tipped BTA". I heard acid washed and my immediate thought was that they might have got their nems from AquaSD who seem to be importing a lot of these acid washed color variants. They are also the ones that I have seen "white tipped" BTAs.

1658843443977.png

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get it from? Almost looks like some of the torches out there. Those tips look too bright under the blues to be bleached in my opinion. Typically under blues a bleached specimen will just be drowned out by the blues, this almost seems like the tips are fluorescing. They might also be calling the tips white but more likely they are some other color that is just really light in color.

FurrierTransform

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try that, my clownfish is being aloof to the anemone.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't seen a BTA look like this before.
@Eagle_Steve @Rtaylor @Lost in the Sauce @F i s h y can we get a ruling on this?
I used to have one exaxtly like that. It was a purplish/green (green was when lights were close to 10,000k and purple was when lights were closer to 20,000k and if all blue led bars were on, it kind of looked almost black) with very white tips. it was a BTA and acted just like most GBTA do, (in regards to usually lower light in a tank than an RBTA would typically go to). Sadly, it decided to move, rolled into my neon green haddoni (the massive one) and the haddoni ate it.

With that said, If a pic of the mouth and foot could be obtained, I could tell you for sure if it is a bta. Sometimes sebae come in looking like this and even bubble up a little at the tips. Not common though and the fact that the nem is in the rocks and not at the sand steers me away from even thinking of it being Sebae. I have even seen baby mags look like this, so that is even a possibility, but I doubt it.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the clowns have only been at the hammer for a week, there's a chance you can move it and they forget about it. Easier said than done though.

I have a mature mating pair who were hosted by a beautiful large Sherman. When I moved the Sherman to the anenome tank, the clowns chose a large bubble coral, rather than a rainbow bta in the same tank. They Know better, they just don't care to comply.

Better pics of the foot, and mouth may help determine what it is.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back