Clownfish laid eggs, help!

Oliver8223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I need help, earlier today I noticed my 2 clown fish were not moving away from one of my rocks. I took a closer look and noticed that there was a carpet of eggs in the rock. This is my first saltwater tank, running now for a little over a year. My 6 line wrasse was trying to eat the eggs and the clown fish kept fighting him off. I was able to catch the wrasse an I placed him on a breeder box I had. I know I can’t leave my wrasse there for ever and I don’t want to give it up either. I need help on what to do next. At this time I don’t have another saltwater tank running. I guess my options are either get another tank and get it running ASAP. Should I move the rock with eggs to that tank or move the wrasse to it? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
2A84A9F3-D3EF-4A30-9DEF-9E3B6F1A584D.jpeg

Marten

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Near the Mt. that's Magic in Southern California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off congratulations on having happy clown fish that spawned for you. The next step would be to read as much information about breeding clown fish and rearing the young, lots of great info on this forum. Once you understand the process then decide if you want to take on the challenge of continuing with the clown fish spawn. Best of luck in whatever you decide.

BlueZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke with a local guy who used to breed clowns and seahorses. He got asked the same question you did all the time. Basically he told them no, it’s too late. If you want to raise clowns, you have to be fully setup prior to them laying eggs.

If it’s something you are serious about getting into, there is tons of resources on the web about it. It’s exciting to see it happen but once clowns start they will do it pretty regularly usually, mine do every other week usually.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fry will turn into fish food(even the parents will eat the fry)...there’s no point in keeping the wrasse in a container.
I would read up on the clownfish breeding threads if you’re looking into raising the fry

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back