Clownfish losing scales

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

Over the past couple of days I have noticed that my clownfish appears to be missing scales on both sides of her body

20211013_220649.jpg

I have had her for a couple of months now and this is the first time this is happening. There is also a Neon Goby in the tank with her and it some times nibbles on her. I thought this was the Goby just trying to clean the clownfish, but now I'm becoming skeptical of that theory.

The clownfish also has paired with a hammer in my tank and I'm suspecting that the hammer might be causing this irritation on her.

But what does everyone think? Should I remove the Goby and see if her scales grow back? Or do you think it might just be a result of her trying to acclimate to the hammers polyps?

20211013_220638.jpg

The hammer in question is in the bottom right of the above photo.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

Over the past couple of days I have noticed that my clownfish appears to be missing scales on both sides of her body

20211013_220649.jpg

I have had her for a couple of months now and this is the first time this is happening. There is also a Neon Goby in the tank with her and it some times nibbles on her. I thought this was the Goby just trying to clean the clownfish, but now I'm becoming skeptical of that theory.

The clownfish also has paired with a hammer in my tank and I'm suspecting that the hammer might be causing this irritation on her.

But what does everyone think? Should I remove the Goby and see if her scales grow back? Or do you think it might just be a result of her trying to acclimate to the hammers polyps?

20211013_220638.jpg

The hammer in question is in the bottom right of the above photo.
I've seen this a few times here, but never in my own fish. It is always on the white part of the clownfish. I don't think it is Uronema because the fish don't die right away. I think it may be a bacterial disease, but I am not certain.

Jay

OP
OP
duesmortem

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen this a few times here, but never in my own fish. It is always on the white part of the clownfish. I don't think it is Uronema because the fish don't die right away. I think it may be a bacterial disease, but I am not certain.

Jay
How would you recommend I treat this issue? H2O2 dosing or dip?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you recommend I treat this issue? H2O2 dosing or dip?
That’s the trouble, I don’t know if anyone knows for sure what causes this. If it is bacterial, you would need to move the fish to a isolation tank and treat with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic. Sorry I can’t be more definitive for you….
Jay

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely should remove and treat. Consider metroplex for uronema and kanaplex for other bacterial infections

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use API General Cure?
GC doesn't work for Uronema or bacteria. I don't think this is Uronema, clownfish rarely get that and the symptoms are not the same. Here is an article I wrote about that disease:

Jay

OP
OP
duesmortem

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GC doesn't work for Uronema or bacteria. I don't think this is Uronema, clownfish rarely get that and the symptoms are not the same. Here is an article I wrote about that disease:

Jay
Thank you for the link! Should I treat this as a bacterial infection and use metroplex or kanaplex?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the link! Should I treat this as a bacterial infection and use metroplex or kanaplex?
Kanaplex. Metroplex is limited to anaerobic bacteria, and external infections, bathed in water, won't be that.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use Kanaplex to treat my display tank? I have only one other fish (Neon Goby) in there with the clown plus corals and invertebrates
No - I typically do not recommend people dose their main tank with antibiotics. I tired running a search here for the other clownfish I've had reports of having this same issue, but all I found was one where the person never got back to me....

Jay

OP
OP
duesmortem

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - I typically do not recommend people dose their main tank with antibiotics. I tired running a search here for the other clownfish I've had reports of having this same issue, but all I found was one where the person never got back to me....

Jay
Gotcha, thank you for all the help! I don't have an extra tank to use so I'll set up a QT system in a 5 gallon bucket with a heater and air stone to treat the clown for two weeks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, thank you for all the help! I don't have an extra tank to use so I'll set up a QT system in a 5 gallon bucket with a heater and air stone to treat the clown for two weeks
Do you have a plan to manage the ammonia build-up in the bucket? My worry is that the ammonia will spike, killing the fish.

Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 109 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back