Clownfish possibly attacked?

pw9988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to see what your speculation is as to what may have happened to one of my clowns. I just noticed that one of them lost both ventral fins and almost looks like it's abdomen is torn open, but it might just be how the wound looks. The clowns are just shy of an inch long from mouth to tail, so they're pretty small. Other inhabitants include a yellow tang (2.5-3"), strawberry dottyback (2.5"), hippo tang (1.25"), diamond watchman goby (2.5"). The clowns have been in there a couple days and have been acclimating to the tank well--keeping together, doesn't bother other fish and I haven't see other fish bother them. We're not sure if maybe the yellow tang attacked it? It would be the most likely suspect if it did. I haven't seen it display aggression to any fish other than a damsel that we removed from the tank (The damsel was harassing everyone but the Yellow tang was the only one large enough to punk it back). The fish were fed a few hours ago and there's still nori on a clip for the tangs to graze on. I would assume the yellow tang would would attack the small hippo if anything.

Is it possible that it could have darted into a power head? Perhaps startled by a person walking by or another fish? I got 2 Vortech MP40s (with the filters on), so it would have had to dart straight into the opening.

See below for picture. I made it a spoiler because not everyone would want to see a photo of a clownfish in this condition
IMG_7348.jpg

Last edited:

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally suspect one of the other fish more than the power head. Several suspects there including the other clown. Any damage to the other one?

OP
OP
P

pw9988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally suspect one of the other fish more than the power head. Several suspects there including the other clown. Any damage to the other one?

Thanks for the reply. The other one is the slightly larger clown and seems fine. We added both to the tank at the same time a couple days ago and they've stayed together for the most part.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back