Clownfish QT troubles

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is longer than I expected, but I've tried to do what I could to put all the details up front right away. Thanks for reading it attentively before asking questions based solely on the topic title and photo.

This is an established QT that's been online for a few months. Ammonia and nitrite are 0, and nitrate is in the 10ish area. Nothing else lives in this tank. Water changes typically happen using display tank water, which follows my salt parameters pretty closely. Calcium 450, alk 9.0 and Mg at 1400.

On Saturday I picked up a tank bred black ocellaris in the hopes to recreate my pair after losing my female a few months back. It's not going well. Here's exactly what I've done so far:

Got home, floated the bag in my QT for a half hour or so while I dropped the salinity a few points to match, then started adding small amounts of tank water every 5-10 minutes for about an hour, and dumped the bag in.

I left the lights off, and came back an hour later to see if it would eat a little, and sure enough, slurped down what I put in the tank, avoiding anything that wandered too close to the airstone. I figured I was good to go, and brought the tank up to 50% copper ( 0.25 with cupramine) in the evening.

Sunday morning, no so enthusiastic, but still ate a couple of mysis. I dismissed it as stress since it was the first time I'd turned on the lights. Later in the afternoon, I added another 5 drops cupramine to bring things up to about 3/4 of the target 0.5. Testing (Salifert Cu) showed somewhere between 0.25 and 0.5, more or less where I wanted to be.

Sunday night feeding, no reaction at all to the food, so something was up. I decided to push back the last increase in copper from Monday to Tuesday, but I wasn't aware of any special considerations using copper with clownfish.

Monday morning and evening, still no reaction to food. By this point all my instincts are telling me I've landed a copper sensitive fish, and BIG WATER CHANGE RIGHT NOW. Mondays are busy and aside from running home to change and eat (and feed the fish) I'm gone from 7AM until after 11PM.

Tuesday night after work I rush home to do as big a water change as I could muster (about 75%), and put a fresh carbon pouch to remove the last of the copper.

This morning before work, still swimming in place mid-water, no reaction to food, but seemed more active (that could just be me convincing myself there was some improvement). I can already see it getting skinnier after not eating for 3 days, and the pectoral fins look like they are getting ratty. Really not able to get a decent pic, but there's no marks, spots or cloudy areas on the body despite what it looks like in the photo.

Meds are hard to come by, so what I've got is what I have available, and that's it. There's cupramine, prazipro, focus and reef rally. I've also got a bottle pf prime.

Not sure where to go now, or what I did wrong. All I can think of doing is adding some rally and prime, and hope for the best.

IMG_20200219_073020.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
W1ngz

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried a bit of mysis in garlic guard, still no reaction.
Added reef rally. Hope he pulls through.

Can't say I'm not disappointed that not a single person has offered any kind of ideas of what I should be doing.

Stege_saurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like fin rot?

IMG_20200219_180049 (1).jpg
This is really quite odd. I've never came across it, but you may try just leaving him in normal non medicated water for awhile and see how he does. Let him gain a little weight and then try a freshwater dip. I know that some people say copper slows down the metabolism, and it may possibly get rid of his appetite all together. My guess is it's something internal that was sitting dormant, and the conditions became just right for it to activate itself. If possible, order API General Cure. It treats a variety of internal parasites or pathogens and just may help your little guy.
I hope this helps a little.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Were there any other rough looking fish in his/her tank at the LFS?

Could be a bacterial infection which would require antibiotics. Are you dosing Rally to the QT or doing a bath? If dosing, maybe try a 90 min bath (1tsp Rally: 1 gallon of bath water).

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the rally bath and since you have it already. Also, is there some thing in the tank he can hide in. I know clowns tend to be weird and swim in the corners or wherever but they do still like a place to seek cover.

Keep the lights low for now of you can.

I had a clown that didnt eat for like 5 days. I called the LFS and they said..I swear to god... sometimes they get lonely and stop eating. I thought it was crazy but I threw him in another QT tank with some tangs and he started eating.

Maybe try to get your hands on some LRS frozen food. Fish LOVE that stuff.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@W1ngz ~ do you know if it was captive bred or wild caught? I’ve kept my fair share of clowns. Just picked up two ocean caught a week ago. One died after doing well. One lived and is eating and living in a BTA. Since wild caught are usually caught using cyanide, it’s a slow death that starts with sickness and usually seems to be the problem. Just a hunch but if I have a clown make it 2 weeks, it won’t die from disease.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry about the loss. That fish looked very sick in the first photo and was likely not well when you purchased it. Skinny, fin rot,possible sloughing. Could have been severe brook infection. Meticulously watch fish in store, look for other ill fish, watch breathing, look at every millimeter of skin, look at body weight. If you get a healthy specimen and do your QT again you will likely be more successful. Sorry again

OP
OP
W1ngz

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry about the loss. That fish looked very sick in the first photo and was likely not well when you purchased it. Skinny, fin rot,possible sloughing. Could have been severe brook infection. Meticulously watch fish in store, look for other ill fish, watch breathing, look at every millimeter of skin, look at body weight. If you get a healthy specimen and do your QT again you will likely be more successful. Sorry again

This fish, nor any others in the tank looked that way when I selected it. I've been doing this for 6 years, I know better than to choose any fish in a store that has raggedy half-dead fish in their tanks.

OP
OP
W1ngz

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I can think is that something ended up in my QT, although the last one through there is doing very well for a couple months in my main tank now. I suppose if it was some sort of bacterial issue that could have survived quite a while even in a tank that's sat empty since Christmas.

I'll be draining the QT and run it for a day or two with tap water and bleach, and reset it.

Last edited:

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The only thing I can think is that something ended up in my QT, although the last one through there is doing very well for a couple months in my main tank now.

I'll be draining the QT and run it for a day or two with tap water and bleach, and reset it.

Yeah, after a death in QT I would definitely break down the QT, sterilize everything before you put any other fish through that QT.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had apparently normal looking fish deteriorate like that too and I suspect that once they’re removed from subtherapeutic meds at the store they’re carrying disease that show very soon after they’re removed from the medications.

Since the copper was not treating it, it very well could have been brook.

definitely sterilize the tank

The only thing I can think is that something ended up in my QT, although the last one through there is doing very well for a couple months in my main tank now. I suppose if it was some sort of bacterial issue that could have survived quite a while even in a tank that's sat empty since Christmas.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back