Clownfish Shortage?

Zeeter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting back in the hobby after some years off and as far as livestock goes, I'm seeing very few clownfish available at online stores. They seem to have tons of designer Ocellaris and maybe a clarkii or two, but that's it. No Perculas. At least not from the places that don't charge $200 a fish.

Has the hobby turned almost completely to designer clownfish at this point? I just want a traditional looking Percula.

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found plenty for sale at LSFs. But yes, I also see More designer clowns than standards. It takes the same amount of effort to breed and raise designer and they sell for more $$$ so the incentive is there. But like I said, I’ve always been able to locate them locally. We even have a store near me that specializes in clowns. Must have 150+ last time I was there with probably 60 of those being standard coloration.

OP
OP
Z

Zeeter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It only looks like the funky ones are everywhere because they get listed under fifty different varieties while the natural ones get listed once... dr reef has wild-type captive bred percula and ocellaris, so do all the 'big box stores'.
How strange...

I placed the order with them but they didn't ask for my credit card or anything. How do they bill?

BTW, thanks for pointing me in their direction.

OP
OP
Z

Zeeter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found plenty for sale at LSFs. But yes, I also see More designer clowns than standards. It takes the same amount of effort to breed and raise designer and they sell for more $$$ so the incentive is there. But like I said, I’ve always been able to locate them locally. We even have a store near me that specializes in clowns. Must have 150+ last time I was there with probably 60 of those being standard coloration.

Maybe I'm just in an area that doesn't have may fish stores. The nearest one to me is That Fish Place and they have mostly ocellaris.

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How strange...

I placed the order with them but they didn't ask for my credit card or anything. How do they bill?

BTW, thanks for pointing me in their direction.
They send the bill around the time that the fish are ready to ship, so you might not get the actual invoice until a few days or a week later/whenever the fish clears quarantine

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly correct. I have to admit that I breed Onyx and Onyx Picasso because I know I can make more money per fish than say a Darwin Ocellaris. That said, the bigger breeders (like ORA) are breeding all varieties so they shouldn't be hard to find. Just ask your LFS to order what you're looking for. There definitely isn't a shortage.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly correct. I have to admit that I breed Onyx and Onyx Picasso because I know I can make more money per fish than say a Darwin Ocellaris.
The darwins have been creeping up around here - they're often priced as high as the snowflakes and other weird ones.

OP
OP
Z

Zeeter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly correct. I have to admit that I breed Onyx and Onyx Picasso because I know I can make more money per fish than say a Darwin Ocellaris. That said, the bigger breeders (like ORA) are breeding all varieties so they shouldn't be hard to find. Just ask your LFS to order what you're looking for. There definitely isn't a shortage.
Doesn't that also have an effect on the more traditional clownfish, though? If everyone is breeding designer clowns, including ORA, then they're breeding fewer traditional ones, thus driving the prices of those up due to a lack of availability.

Ocean_Queenie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting back in the hobby after some years off and as far as livestock goes, I'm seeing very few clownfish available at online stores. They seem to have tons of designer Ocellaris and maybe a clarkii or two, but that's it. No Perculas. At least not from the places that don't charge $200 a fish.

Has the hobby turned almost completely to designer clownfish at this point? I just want a traditional looking Percula.
You may want to try ReefBeauties.com they have Clowns starting at $21, we’ve bought lots of fish from them, with no issues :)

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't that also have an effect on the more traditional clownfish, though? If everyone is breeding designer clowns, including ORA, then they're breeding fewer traditional ones, thus driving the prices of those up due to a lack of availability.

I doubt it, because it's not like they've stopped breeding the traditional ones. If the demand is lower, then the prices should be the same.

OP
OP
Z

Zeeter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt it, because it's not like they've stopped breeding the traditional ones. If the demand is lower, then the prices should be the same.
They haven't stopped breeding them, but they've reduced breeding them in favor of the designer clowns. If the breeders need to set aside a breeding system for Perculas instead of designer clowns they're going to raise the prices to make up for any losses by not breeding the designers.

In fact, many of the prices I've seen lately are in the $40-50 range. The two I ordered yesterday were $39.99 each. They were $15 each about ten years ago. Though to be fair, some of the larger retailers have them for around $20-25. Yet none have any in stock.

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They haven't stopped breeding them, but they've reduced breeding them in favor of the designer clowns. If the breeders need to set aside a breeding system for Perculas instead of designer clowns they're going to raise the prices to make up for any losses by not breeding the designers.

In fact, many of the prices I've seen lately are in the $40-50 range. The two I ordered yesterday were $39.99 each. They were $15 each about ten years ago. Though to be fair, some of the larger retailers have them for around $20-25. Yet none have any in stock.
I think you’re just seeing the price increase because everything across the board has gone up (also, shipping). Salt, food, cost to run equipment. I don’t think it’s because of designer clowns. That being said, I can buy Wild type clowns where I live (New Orleans) for $14.99-$24.99. But generally, every fish is more expensive than it used to be though. Feeder goldfish to imported reef fish.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reef beauties has percs on their store right now!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back