Clownfish sick, need ID.

mainn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I moved my fish tank yesterday to a new house. Today all fish are doing good and seem great aside from one of my clownfish. He has been hanging out up in the low flow corner of the tank not moving much, not eating, and has a white patch around one of his fins. No other visible symptoms, and nothing visible on any other fish which are all doing great. Fish isnt flashing or scratching either. Ive had all of the fish in the tank for several months, the last introduction was a pair of fairy wrasse in feb.

20180513_162317.jpg

OP
OP
mainn

mainn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure, I dont think so but its possible. The other clownfish is just fine, as is everything else which is why im concerned.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been since you added anything new to the tank? Including corals or inverts.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im thinking brook. What probably has happened here is it's been there all along fish have been able to fight it off. The move stressed them enough to let it take hold. Brook is very common in clowns. I am not saying this is for certain. Just a possibility. Keep an eye on it. If it continues to worsen you will want to treat the fish in QT.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brooklynella.247938/

OP
OP
mainn

mainn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not quite sold on it being brook. Ive had that in fish before and this seems very localized on the one spot to be that.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not quite sold on it being brook. Ive had that in fish before and this seems very localized on the one spot to be that.
It is too blurry to be positive but that’s my guess as well. That spot doesn't look localized enough to be lymph. Any heavy breathing? Scratching?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brook was my initial concern as well, but looking at the pictures (as blurry as they are) it seems to be isolated to that one spot. It could be an injury from the move. How long has it been there?

OP
OP
mainn

mainn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it ended up being an injury from the move. Clown is still alive and seems to be doing a bit better every day.

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always treat with metroplex for 10 days. It's an antibiotic that's known to also cure brook. It's cover you either way ;)

In that last pic it looks like there's a second area up top on the black of his/her stripe... That or sand floating around. Hard to tell

OP
OP
mainn

mainn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may do that. I looked today and didn't see that second spot, so I think it was just something that showed up in the pic. The fish is eating again, so I am not as worried.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks very "brookish" to me personally. Metroplex is not a bad idea at all.
Are the areas of discolor I'm seeing visible in person? Around the front white stripe?
Keep in mind that would need to be done in a QT (Metroplex is NOT reef safe). It looks like the fish is in a tank with come corals. Also if it is brook, you would want to treat all fish that share the same tank.
@4FordFamily @melypr1985 @Big G

OP
OP
mainn

mainn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only spot on the fish is the part around the front fin. Everything else is dirty glass.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's still isolated to that area only, then I would continue to lean toward an injury. However, treating in a QT with metroplex wouldn't hurt either. Metro treats brook but also has some antibiotic properties.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back