Clownfish sick? Rapid breathing

Joe13374

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a new clownfish just added yesterday. Its breathing is rapid, and I have a feeling it is sick. Can you all look at the video and let me know what you think. Tank water is perfect and has been for many months and other fish are doing great. My GF bought it for me and I was unable to quarantine it, and im leaving out of town tomorrow for 7 days. The rapid breathing has me worried and Im not sure if I should go get some meds or do a dip before I leave. Or is this normal? It is not eating but that could he because its new to tank. Also is that a small black spot on its gill normal? 8A0F0472-AE79-411F-B87D-A44D9AB3B2A9.png

Attachments

• IMG_6195.MOV
    22.9 MB

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The breathing rate is definitely elevated faster than normal - the fish also appears to be swimming into the flow. Both of which are indicators of velvet, but it could be due to the transfer stress.
The head also looks deformed/damaged, but I would think that is a result of poor genetics/inbreeding rather than any disease.
I would be ready to qt and treat with copper (potentially for all fish).

OP
OP
J

Joe13374

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#fishmedic #jayhemdal

I am no expert but this fish is definitely in distress and not doing well.

Someone should come by soon.

In the meantime you can make sure ammonia levels are in check and aim a powerhead at the surface to increase water oxygenation.
Thank you for the reply. Checked Ammonia today an hour ago its zero. Yeah very worried tho :(

OP
OP
J

Joe13374

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The breathing rate is definitely elevated faster than normal - the fish also appears to be swimming into the flow. Both of which are indicators of velvet, but it could be due to the transfer stress.
The head also looks deformed/damaged, but I would think that is a result of poor genetics/inbreeding rather than any disease.
I would be ready to qt and treat with copper (potentially for all fish).
Yes he has been in the flow since last night and hangs out there. Its deff not looking good for this little guy. Yes the head does look weird too. Ughhh hate going through this. I figured this is the best place to get everyones advise, so I really appreciate you

Ben.QLD2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fins are clamped too, it also looks a bit deformed around the mouth area but that could just be that gaping/heavy respiration. I can't tell if it's pixelation or not, but there could be a slight 'dusty' appearance. I'd be quite concerned about it having velvet, and now that it's in your display tank, I'd be very concerned about all fish developing it.

OP
OP
J

Joe13374

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fins are clamped too, it also looks a bit deformed around the mouth area but that could just be that gaping/heavy respiration. I can't tell if it's pixelation or not, but there could be a slight 'dusty' appearance. I'd be quite concerned about it having velvet, and now that it's in your display tank, I'd be very concerned about all fish developing it.
Yes I have never introduced a non quarantined fish into my tank before. I at first was hoping it was just acting this way because because it was just placed in tank, but I have not had a fish do that much rapid breathing for 24hrs, and not its just hanging out in the flow which is another concern.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have never introduced a non quarantined fish into my tank before. I at first was hoping it was just acting this way because because it was just placed in tank, but I have not had a fish do that much rapid breathing for 24hrs, and not its just hanging out in the flow which is another concern.

I agree, this could be velvet. You may not always see spots on fish with velvet (it can be in just the gills). The fish also seems a bit thin. It probably had issues before you even got it. Assuming all of the other fish are o.k., you should be able to rule out water quality issues. It could be from acclimation, but in this case, it would be from shock from going from low to high salinity too fast. Do you know the salinity it was in, versus that of your tank? One issue with salinity shock - it can cause a fish to dehydrate, making it look skinny....

Jay

OP
OP
J

Joe13374

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, this could be velvet. You may not always see spots on fish with velvet (it can be in just the gills). The fish also seems a bit thin. It probably had issues before you even got it. Assuming all of the other fish are o.k., you should be able to rule out water quality issues. It could be from acclimation, but in this case, it would be from shock from going from low to high salinity too fast. Do you know the salinity it was in, versus that of your tank? One issue with salinity shock - it can cause a fish to dehydrate, making it look skinny....

Jay
Jay the fish came from Saltwaterfish.com, and I have heard they run the Salinity super low too from all the other reviews. I did not even think of checking it before I already started the drip…Im honesty a beginner in this too. Is this something that they can recover from after a while in the new tank? Would you recommend a fresh water dip?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay the fish came from Saltwaterfish.com, and I have heard they run the Salinity super low too from all the other reviews. I did not even think of checking it before I already started the drip…Im honesty a beginner in this too. Is this something that they can recover from after a while in the new tank? Would you recommend a fresh water dip?
If it is velvet, then yes, a FW dip will buy you some time, but won't cure the fish (you'll need to dose with copper for that, in a QT). If it is from salinity shock, the FW dip is probably just going to make things worse.

Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back