clownfish sick?

jev99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I've had my clownfish for about a year now. see attached picture. The fish swims on the top of the tank basically all day every day. Today I found it behaving odd and I'm worried because my royal gramma is also now hiding and he normally does not.

so here is what changed in the last two days. I bought two coral frags. dipped them for 10 minutes each. Used some reef glue to glue them . Added magnesium to raise from about 1190 to 1350 over the last week. bought about five snails.

I also dosed a little bit of iron and potassium.

my parameters:

ammonia/nitrite 0
nitrate 15
phosphate .15 (high, I know)
calcium 400
ph a little low
kh a little low

please tell me what's wrong if you think you know.

20210328_195819.jpg

OP
OP
J

jev99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
please help someone. not sure what I did wrong

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they both still eating?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I see presence of of cyano which may indicate elevated levels of nitrate-phosphate and possibly ammonia. Im not sure what test kits youre using but if its' API, you may be getting false readings and have higher levels that tests are showing.
Blow cyano loose and siphon and finish with a water change.

Hopefully mag was added gradually and not quickly.

recommended:

Temp 77-79
ph 8.1-8.3
salinity 1.025
nitrate < .4
phos < .04
Ammonia < .03
mG 1300
Alk 8-9
CA 440

OP
OP
J

jev99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
royal gramma no

clown yes about seven hours ago but he's been on the bottom of the tank for the last five hours which is about four more hours then he has been for the entire last year

OP
OP
J

jev99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming when you dipped the corals, you then rinsed them in clean saltwater before adding them to the tank?
negative. I did not. I just thought of that a half hour ago and am kicking myself for it . How bad is that?

OP
OP
J

jev99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see presence of of cyano which may indicate elevated levels of nitrate-phosphate and possibly ammonia. Im not sure what test kits youre using but if its' API, you may be getting false readings and have higher levels that tests are showing.
Blow cyano loose and siphon and finish with a water change.

Hopefully mag was added gradually and not quickly.

recommended:

Temp 77-79
ph 8.1-8.3
salinity 1.025
nitrate < .4
phos < .04
Ammonia < .03
mG 1300
Alk 8-9
CA 440
Good idea what the cyano ok will do

I increased 50 a day mg

Salty Rambler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
negative. I did not. I just thought of that a half hour ago and am kicking myself for it . How bad is that?

I think it would depend on the type of coral dip you used, how much got into the tank, how big the tank is, and whether the corals were dipped attached to rocks (which would have acted like sponges for the dip) or not. I'm definitely not an expert, but you might look into doing a few water changes and/or running some carbon or GFO. The above said, it is possible the lack of rinsing is just a coincidence vice a cause of your fish.

royal gramma no

clown yes about seven hours ago but he's been on the bottom of the tank for the last five hours which is about four more hours then he has been for the entire last year

Was this in reference to an earlier question on whether the fish are still eating? Aside from hanging out at the bottom of the tank or hiding, are they showing any other symptoms? What kind of corals did you buy and where did you place them? Is it possible they are somewhere that is disturbing or stinging the fish?

#reefsquad

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.6%
Back