Clownfish spinning ??

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can some one help -
My clown seems to be spinning head up around the tank . He doesn’t seem to be interested in food - I don’t see any obvious issues - every other fish and anemone is happy ...

He does the spin for about 10 secs and I think he is trying to host my power head so he just hangs out near it most of the day

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is just some weird take on them setting up a social order. Does it happen mainly when the other one is nearby or nudging?

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice you also have 4 clowns in there? How big is the tank?

Clownfish are mean, and 4 of them in a small space could mean that someone has been singled out as an outcast. That fish will likely be killed by the others.

OP
OP
Cstar_BC

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes . There is one big female? And she pretty much runs the tank (I knew and expected this) however she really bullies just this particular one and will like swim up and maneuver him into a corner and then twitch and swim away - I have no torn fins/body lacerations
But she definitely nose punts him from time to time

OP
OP
Cstar_BC

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a 60 gallon , from what I understand they have always lived together from small babies . I’ve had them about a month and a bit but the “outcast” has only been recently .

I have debated putting the Wyoming whites in their own tank - I also have a fire fish who the clowns don’t bother at all

I notice you also have 4 clowns in there? How big is the tank?

Clownfish are mean, and 4 of them in a small space could mean that someone has been singled out as an outcast. That fish will likely be killed by the others.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have your pumps turned off for the video? I can't see any water movement.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi b/w is trying to rip off fin ,if not damaged already ,seperate asap

OP
OP
Cstar_BC

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi b/w is trying to rip off fin ,if not damaged already ,seperate asap

As mentioned - no one has ripped fins or any signs of physical injuries and this has been going on for about 2 weeks . I thought it was intestinal issues and figured I’d come downstairs to a dead fish - but he’s still going so I’ve been slowing getting together a separate tank for him which is cycling and I’m picking up some more anemones tomorrow for that tank specifically.

Just don’t understand how it’s just him and if it is an obvious medical issue how to treat it?
- I don’t think it’s water parameters/quality/illness as the other fish and anemones are all happy

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Babies is one thing but once they reach an age where it's possible for them to mature sexually one becomes a male and one a female. The rest remain undistinguished. With only 2 others, aggression can start and someone will die.

I've read 6 months, and I've read 2 years. I'm not sure how long it takes between individual species or if captive bred fish do so faster or slower.

I really don't think this is a health issue.

OP
OP
Cstar_BC

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to update this :

I have removed the above mentioned clown into a hastily made but will now forever be my Quarantine tank . After 24hours the difference is amazing . He is eating, swimming around the tank and way happier - I guess he was just being picked on.

The other three seem to be happy in a weird love triangle .

Will put both Wyoming together as hopefully they pair up

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi glad to hear happy reefing

ReefingWithTheSavannahs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can some one help -
My clown seems to be spinning head up around the tank . He doesn’t seem to be interested in food - I don’t see any obvious issues - every other fish and anemone is happy ...

He does the spin for about 10 secs and I think he is trying to host my power head so he just hangs out near it most of the day

Hi, I just found your post and wondering if you had any advice based on your experience. We put two baby clown fish in our tank 8 months ago. Last night the small male was on top of the tank in a corner gasping for air. We moved him to a separate tank and he keeps spinning in circles. Everyone is giving us conflicting information if we should keep him in the main tank or have a separate tank. We tried putting him back in the main tank but in an aquarium breeder so he’s in there but separate from the female who is bullying. He is still spinning. Any thoughts/recommendations. We didn’t know if the spinning was due to an illness or just anxiety. We think we should just have a separate tank for the male, but not sure how to stop the spinning. And we need to get him to eat. Thank you!

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi check for missing side fin

OP
OP
Cstar_BC

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi !

So I put my guy in a separate tank and noticed he had some missing fin pieces due to the bullying - he probably still did his weird swimming thing for two days after . However being by himself gave his guns some time to regrow and I’m happy to report he is back to 100%

I think the spinning is a combination of being bullied , and missing fins .

I didn’t have success keeping him in a separate breeder box in the tank (tried that for two days and I think that stressed him out and prevented him from eating)

The separate tank was 100% the right choice for me .

Hi, I just found your post and wondering if you had any advice based on your experience. We put two baby clown fish in our tank 8 months ago. Last night the small male was on top of the tank in a corner gasping for air. We moved him to a separate tank and he keeps spinning in circles. Everyone is giving us conflicting information if we should keep him in the main tank or have a separate tank. We tried putting him back in the main tank but in an aquarium breeder so he’s in there but separate from the female who is bullying. He is still spinning. Any thoughts/recommendations. We didn’t know if the spinning was due to an illness or just anxiety. We think we should just have a separate tank for the male, but not sure how to stop the spinning. And we need to get him to eat. Thank you!

OP
OP
Cstar_BC

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say just double check everything to confirm no parasites / illness

- white stringy poop
-scratching on rocks
-anyone else in the tank showing similar symptoms

However if it’s been 8 months and the female is just bullying him then I would suggest separating

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back