Clownfish swim bladder

jake.hale97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 35gallon tank with two small clownfish, one black and one orange, my orange clown is staying on the surface of my tank and swimming in its side, he will alternate the side facing however he just stays in a few spaces at the top of my tank always on his side? I think this is a swimbladder problem? He also isn’t eating much, my black clown is active and healthy, Any other ideas or suggestions? How can I fix this problem?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 35gallon tank with two small clownfish, one black and one orange, my orange clown is staying on the surface of my tank and swimming in its side, he will alternate the side facing however he just stays in a few spaces at the top of my tank always on his side? I think this is a swimbladder problem? He also isn’t eating much, my black clown is active and healthy, Any other ideas or suggestions? How can I fix this problem?
Can you post a short video? One thing to consider is that the black clown may be pushing the orange one up there as a defensive position. Clowns are pretty sly and will behave well when you are watching them!
Jay

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns slept for better part of 3 years on their sides at the top of the tank.

OP
OP
J

jake.hale97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a short video? One thing to consider is that the black clown may be pushing the orange one up there as a defensive position. Clowns are pretty sly and will behave well when you are watching them!
Jay

Attachments

• 64862121849__77C64F07-1C77-4F16-B8B8-3CF0CD5C17EB.MOV
    2 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks decidedly unhappy, either from being picked on, or some other disease issue. It doesn't look like a swim bladder problem - those issues have distinct symptoms. They can be either positive or negatively buoyant. In either case, the fish struggles to maintain its position in the water. This clown looks like it is choosing to plaster itself up against the tank rim. I couldn't get a good look, is its tail fin damaged or tattered?

One thing you could try would be to move it to an isolation basket...with tank water flowing through it, but to keep it away from the other clown and to give it shallower water (in case it is swim bladder). Then, see if it eats better and is more comfortable there.

Jay

OP
OP
J

jake.hale97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks decidedly unhappy, either from being picked on, or some other disease issue. It doesn't look like a swim bladder problem - those issues have distinct symptoms. They can be either positive or negatively buoyant. In either case, the fish struggles to maintain its position in the water. This clown looks like it is choosing to plaster itself up against the tank rim. I couldn't get a good look, is its tail fin damaged or tattered?

One thing you could try would be to move it to an isolation basket...with tank water flowing through it, but to keep it away from the other clown and to give it shallower water (in case it is swim bladder). Then, see if it eats better and is more comfortable there.

Jay
Came home from work to find my

Jay
came home from work to find my orange clown had dies, was dead underneath a rock at bottom of tank, no signs of external damage, very very small amount of ammonia but all parameters fine

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.4%

Back