Clownfish swimming sideways

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I'm new to the hobby and just hit 1 month but I've realized that today and yesterday after getting home one of my clownfish has been sideways most of the time I pass by and check out the tank and this an early stage of sbd of just a clownfish being a clownfish

parms
Ammonia 0
Nitrite. 0
Nitrate 10
Ph 8
He hasn't been eating much the past month I've had him either my little clown is always excited anytime I get near but the bigger one never cares. I did realize when I got closer to the tank he did go back to normal swimming position I guess you would call it but any help would be great I'm not sure what to do I'll get a pic of when I get closer to the tank so you could see what I mean

image.jpg image.jpg

kierstin1993

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has he been swimming sideways?
I’ve had a clown fish do this just because he was silly and like it…but one time one of my clowns got swim bladder and started swimming sideways. It ended with him swimming upside down into a power head
I’d just keep an eye on him and if he starts looking like he can’t control the direction he’s swimming or can’t right himself when you approach then it could be swim bladder. Let us know how he’s doing!

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has he been swimming sideways?
I’ve had a clown fish do this just because he was silly and like it…but one time one of my clowns got swim bladder and started swimming sideways. It ended with him swimming upside down into a power head
I’d just keep an eye on him and if he starts looking like he can’t control the direction he’s swimming or can’t right himself when you approach then it could be swim bladder. Let us know how he’s doing!
Well he started doing this yesterday, they both swim sideways at night on the heater but lately he's been resting in the sand bed more while my smaller one stays on the heater most of the night. I'm also getting worried since his tail does stiff up a bit every once in a while and he hasn't moved as I was writing this he went all the way to the top but it seemed more like he floated and didn't really swim what products do I buy incase it is sbd so I can have them on hand for treatment

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something definitely doesn’t seem right there. His tail looks chewed up - likely due to the female being aggressive.
Have you seen him eat at all?
We'll um they're the only fish in the tank and it's the bigger fish I'll post them rn and no I haven't seen him eat I've tried mysis brine and the little pellets he was kind of interested the first week and ate a bit but since then hasn't wanted to

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We'll um they're the only fish in the tank and it's the bigger fish I'll post them rn and no I haven't seen him eat I've tried mysis brine and the little pellets he was kind of interested the first week and ate a bit but since then hasn't wanted to
He's swimming a bit more normal as you can tell in the background but I'm still a bit concerned

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the lack of food is getting to him - is other eating?
Any other odd behaviors?
Yeah the other one loves food mysis is the what I've realized he gets excited about the most what do I do to get him to eat?

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the other one is loves food mysis is the what I've realized he gets excited about the most what do I do to get him to eat?
I would've thought that after a while he would've just tolerated the food in order to survive but I guess a got a picky one

kierstin1993

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well he started doing this yesterday, they both swim sideways at night on the heater but lately he's been resting in the sand bed more while my smaller one stays on the heater most of the night. I'm also getting worried since his tail does stiff up a bit every once in a while and he hasn't moved as I was writing this he went all the way to the top but it seemed more like he floated and didn't really swim what products do I buy incase it is sbd so I can have them on hand for treatment
Unfortunately, to my knowledge, there’s no real treatment. Either they get better or they don’t. With my clown he swam into the power head before I could start attempting to help him but when I had a freshwater guppy get swim bladder it was suggested to try feeding peas…he wouldn’t eat them and then died the next day.

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Often the more dominant one will prevent the other from eating. Try separating them and see if you can get it food.
Should I take out the smaller one or the bigger one? The bigger one is the one that hasn't eaten

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes poor guy is looking very skinny, you can actually see bone structure (obviously not your fault) have you seen it pooh, this normally indicates internal problems

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I take out the smaller one or the bigger one? The bigger one is the one that hasn't eaten
Either way works. I’d recommend pulling the smaller (more aggressive) one in most cases, but it would be easier to monitor if the big one eats if it’s in a more controlled area.

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either way works. I’d recommend pulling the smaller (more aggressive) one in most cases, but it would be easier to monitor if the big one eats if it’s in a more controlled area.
Alright I'll do that thanks for all the advice bro I appreciate it

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to help - for one of the easiest reef fish, clowns can be surprisingly tricky.
I separated them and they still won't eat I fed brine and pellets what do I do or do I leave them isolated for a while and try again in a bit?

Back