Clownfish tail gone?

nickloeuf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I'm really concerned about my clownfish! 2 days ago I woke up and there was a missing spot in his tail fin.. and this morning its tail is almost completely gone and its right fin seems hurt too?!?!

What can possibly be happening to the fish? I don't think I have anything in my tank that can actually attack him.. I have another clownfish and a blue chromis... 2 starfish 2 urchin , a shrimp and hermit crabs and snails...

My water parameter are actually fine too..

it doesn't look good for the fish :(

here's a picture

r88f3a.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the clowns get along?

OP
OP
nickloeuf

nickloeuf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
must be the chromis?

To be honnest they seem to get along pretty well, at least during the day.. they always swim together ... maybe the chromis is bipolar and gets really mad at night but i'd be surprised?! lol

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
must be the chromis?

Very Slim chance. Chromis are part of the damsel family but are Very passive. IME they only show aggression to each other. Clowns do become territorial,especially over and anemone, so it could be another clown. I have 5 chromis and they don't touch my shrimp,firefish, or any other fish. I don't believe it is the chromis

OP
OP
nickloeuf

nickloeuf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very Slim chance. Chromis are part of the damsel family but are Very passive. IME they only show aggression to each other. Clowns do become territorial,especially over and anemone, so it could be another clown. I have 5 chromis and they don't touch my shrimp,firefish, or any other fish. I don't believe it is the chromis

+1 .. i'd be shocked if the Chromis did that

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well they seem to get along just fine! when I added the second clownfish to my tank 3 weeks ago.. they had 1 rough day but after that everything was fine
They may have had a very serious divorce. Are they similar in size or is the other one larger?

OP
OP
nickloeuf

nickloeuf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They may have had a very serious divorce. Are they similar in size or is the other one larger?

They have the same size... and now they are all three swimming together happilly .. this is what makes everything confusing mhmm..

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have the same size... and now they are all three swimming together happilly .. this is what makes everything confusing mhmm..
Three? This makes me worry, this definitely sounds like a scuffle. Clowns are very nasty to each other and if they're the same size the risk increases - it's best to have one large and one small. If you are going to have many clowns, a very large tank would be best.

OP
OP
nickloeuf

nickloeuf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three? This makes me worry, this definitely sounds like a scuffle. Clowns are very nasty to each other and if they're the same size the risk increases - it's best to have one large and one small. If you are going to have many clowns, a very large tank would be best.

Three = 2 clowns and the blue chromis! hehe ! That's interesting, the petshop told me i should always have 2 clowns same size... im starting to think they're full of crap!

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three = 2 clowns and the blue chromis! hehe ! That's interesting, the petshop told me i should always have 2 clowns same size... im starting to think they're full of crap!
That's definitely poor advice! :/

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the bigger or the smaller clown?
Typically it is advised (from what I've read/heard) to introduce both clowns at the same time, and pick a bigger one and a for sure smaller one.

The bigger one becomes (if not already) the female, and the smaller becomes to male. Any other additional smaller remain genderless (once again form what ive read)

If the 2nd clown introduced was the biggest clown in the tank it was in, there's a good chance they are both females, and sometimes fight to the death I've heard

I personally don't know if a female clown getting punked would recede into a male, but I'll leave that for the more experienced members to note.

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the clowns are the same size i would def bank on it being the other clown and find a new LFS.
Honestly, maybe take back the hurt clown & see if you can get credit towards a much smaller one.
If not possible, I'm not really sure. QT? Trade w/ a friend? Give to a friend?

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear man. Hope you get this one resolved. Lots of good information in their thread for future reference.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 23 60.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.3%
Back