Clownfish type advice

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly I lost my beautiful clownfish this morning. She was second hand and I’m not sure how old she was in the end. But she was one of the prettiest I’d seen. Her orange color had none of the darker hues you seen in many percs/ocellaris and was exceptionally bright.

I’m wondering, is anyone is aware of a variety or morph that sports that vibrant orange color without the darker shade up top or between the stripes?
She was a “misbar” which I know is a natural occurrence in clownfish clutches but thought maybe she could have been special variety with such good coloration.

My guess is we will just have to be haunting LFS’s till we see one that really “pops”.

Unfortunately I don’t have a great image of her but I took a screen capture from a video. It doesn’t do her Justice but I figured I’d post it anyhow.

Thanks for any advice!

IMG_7588.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your loss. I can’t keep track of the names of all the captive bred clowns, there are too many.

I think it’s wise to select a couple that you like when they are immediately in front of you, or a single one that you can choose and take home. Other people have their own preferences and it is best to pick them in person, ime.

Someone on here will probably know the exact type in the picture, ?

OP
OP
Bpones

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your loss. I can’t keep track of the names of all the captive bred clowns, there are too many.

I think it’s wise to select a couple that you like when they are immediately in front of you, or a single one that you can choose and take home. Other people have their own preferences and it is best to pick them in person, ime.

Someone on here will probably know the exact type in the picture, ?
Thank you.
I agree, in person is likely best. And I too cannot keep track of all the crazy names and types. It seems like there is a trend currently to create darker morphs. A LFS by me just got a “Big shipment of clowns” so I went to look and it was all mocha and Darwin and other brown/black (and expensive) varieties.

I just like the look at the typical clowns but would love an extra bright type.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few years back I went to a LFS and saw a beautiful wild caught Clarkii pair that I passed on but a reefing friend brought for his tank. There’s so much variety between species lines and individual fishes that makes choosing one type a difficult decision, ime. I don’t know if I will ever decide to get another pair for this reason.

OP
OP
Bpones

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few years back I went to a LFS and saw a beautiful wild caught Clarkii pair that I passed on but a reefing friend brought for his tank. There’s so much variety between species lines and individual fishes that makes choosing one type a difficult decision, ime. I don’t know if I will ever decide to get another pair for this reason.
Yeah, I really enjoyed that old gal. I’d been on the fence about acquiring a little boyfriend for her but before her I had some BAD clowns. I just love the look of them so much. I’m sure I’ll end up with another pair in the QT eventually.

OP
OP
Bpones

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to close out this thread in case anyone else ever stumbles on it. We went to a shop that specializes in clownfish. They had at least 200. Every type. Long fin, Darwin, ice. We picked up four that are all now in quarantine. What we noticed was the misbars had a deeper orange than the traditional Ocellaris. This photo shows all four and the two misbars are distinctly darker. Perhaps this is just a result of the supplier they use but it was very obvious when seeing so many at once.

Attachments

• IMG_7649.mov
    13.5 MB
  • IMG_7653.jpeg
    IMG_7653.jpeg
    889.6 KB · Views: 33

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 163 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back