Clownfish white spots/discoloration

OmuNegru

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

This is the second clownfish I've bought with this problem. The first one I had to take it back to the lfs because it was in a more advanced stage. I have no idea what this could be or what to do best as I'm a beginner in saltwater fish tanks and reefs. The orange clownfish (I have 2 clownfish) is perfectly fine. The black one developed some kind of white stains/spots/discoloration on his body and one of the fins (photos attached).

I really need some advice so I can help the poor guy.

Thank you!

20201021_191438~2.jpg 20201021_191321~2.jpg 20201021_191459~2.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

There are a few things that could be. It also may also be on the orange clown, but is showing up more on the darker fish.

How long have you had this fish? What are your water quality readings? Ammonia is one thing you should be checking in a newer tank. Are the fish still eating normally?

This could be skin mucus from something in the water, it could be a bacterial infection, but if the fish seems to be breathing fast or gasping, it could be a serious disease known as Brooklynella.
Jay

OP
OP
OmuNegru

OmuNegru

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

There are a few things that could be. It also may also be on the orange clown, but is showing up more on the darker fish.

How long have you had this fish? What are your water quality readings? Ammonia is one thing you should be checking in a newer tank. Are the fish still eating normally?

This could be skin mucus from something in the water, it could be a bacterial infection, but if the fish seems to be breathing fast or gasping, it could be a serious disease known as Brooklynella.
Jay

Thank you for your quick reply, Jay.
The dark clownfish I had for 5 days, but the one before him (which I had to take back to the lfs for qt) had developed the same problem within a week - is it possible they have a bad batch?

Ammonia less than 0.15
Nitrites less than 0.2
Nitrates less than 20ppm
Salinity 0.124

Both fish are eating 2-3 times a day, 3 pellets each.

They both look active and playful, curious and discovering their new home, not breathing fast or gasping.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that doesn’t sound like Brooklynella, so that’s really good. As long as it doesn’t get worse, the fish keep their fins held upright, they keep eating, I wouldn’t treat for anything right now. Your ammonia would be better if it were zero, but as long as it stays below 0.25, it should be ok.
Jay

OP
OP
OmuNegru

OmuNegru

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that doesn’t sound like Brooklynella, so that’s really good. As long as it doesn’t get worse, the fish keep their fins held upright, they keep eating, I wouldn’t treat for anything right now. Your ammonia would be better if it were zero, but as long as it stays below 0.25, it should be ok.
Jay

Thank you, Jay.

I will closely watch them and keep you posted.

OP
OP
OmuNegru

OmuNegru

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay

Yeah... I think it's getting worse. Came home today and found him slowly swimming at the bottom of the fish tank while the other clownfish was trying to nip him. He has even more white spots and now they spread around the eyes and belly too. I have no clue how to approach this situation.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back