Clownfish with white marks

NaturalGothic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!
I bought this clownfish (pics below) today and noticed he’s got some white marks that appear to be coming out of him. I don’t think it’s ich or velvet and he didn’t have it when I was at the store. Anyone know what it is? Could it be stress induced?

P.s. - I’m aware he’s a little different than normal clownfish; I bought him because he’s got some birth defects. Not only is he missing a dorsal fin, he’s also lacking his right pectoral fin. I didn’t think anyone else would want him and I thought he was adorable lol

301E18ED-221D-4D83-A796-FE0006B04019.jpeg 9A3E692C-6484-4E0C-AD3B-758559AD8378.jpeg
AB7FFF92-A3FB-4CAC-B866-11415A091EC5.png

drewwCh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's ich, than yeah it is stress-induced. Feeding the little guy good quality foods and keeping stress at a minimum would greatly help it recover. Are there any other fish in there that are bothering him? What are params? Is he breathing heavily or not?

OP
OP
NaturalGothic

NaturalGothic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's ich, than yeah it is stress-induced. Feeding the little guy good quality foods and keeping stress at a minimum would greatly help it recover. Are there any other fish in there that are bothering him? What are params? Is he breathing heavily or not?

There are other fish in the tank. 1 photon clownfish and 1 springer damsel, but, they’re leaving him be. And his breathing is totally normal.

Water stats:
Salt - 1.024
Ph - 8.2
Ammonia - 0.0ppm
Nitrate - 5.0ppm
Nitrite - 0.0ppm
Temp. - 76

OP
OP
NaturalGothic

NaturalGothic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are other fish in the tank. 1 photon clownfish and 1 springer damsel, but, they’re leaving him be. And his breathing is totally normal. For dinner, my fish got frozen premysis shrimp.

Water stats:
Salt - 1.024
Ph - 8.2
Ammonia - 0.0ppm
Nitrate - 5.0ppm
Nitrite - 0.0ppm
Temp. - 76

drewwCh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are other fish in the tank. 1 photon clownfish and 1 springer damsel, but, they’re leaving him be. And his breathing is totally normal.

Water stats:
Salt - 1.024
Ph - 8.2
Ammonia - 0.0ppm
Nitrate - 5.0ppm
Nitrite - 0.0ppm
Temp. - 76
If he's breathing normal then it may rule out velvet being the culprit, could be wrong though.

OP
OP
NaturalGothic

NaturalGothic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aww thanks for giving them a chance at a good life <3
When I first noticed him, I thought one of the other clownfish beat him up. It wasn’t until I really looked at him that I realized he wasn’t attacked; he was just missing some parts lol He’s got a lot of personality though. When he gets annoyed, he tries to swim faster but ends up going in a semi-circle lol
Working at an aquarium store that specializes in saltwater, I see a lot of healthy, but, “imperfect” fish sit in tanks for months on end. I didn’t want that for him. Plus, my Photon’s was in need of a partner.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don’t believe that is Ich or velvet. It could be the start to Brook and fresh water baths help a lot. If you can get your hands on some Ruby Reef Rally I would give him a 90 min bath in that!

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Flukes. FW dip for 5 min. They will come jumping off. Make sure you do the full 5 min.

Heat the water
Pre-oxygenate

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I opted to give him a freshwater dip with 4 drops of copper power blue. He already looks better. Less of those spots for sure.
Just a couple of observations: never dose "a little copper". Go all in or go home (grin). Sub-therapeutic copper is something a lot of people do, but it is of no benefit. While the the spots do like kind of large and raised up, and not "ich-like" they definitely aren't flukes. In the first photo, it *looks* like there may be a spot on a fin. If you see that, it helps confirm ich over other issues. The spots dropping off can actually be a bad sign, ich is more likely to do that. It is a small fish, so even though the spots look large, I can't rule out ich here...watch for them to possibly return.

Jay

OP
OP
NaturalGothic

NaturalGothic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a couple of observations: never dose "a little copper". Go all in or go home (grin). Sub-therapeutic copper is something a lot of people do, but it is of no benefit. While the the spots do like kind of large and raised up, and not "ich-like" they definitely aren't flukes. In the first photo, it *looks* like there may be a spot on a fin. If you see that, it helps confirm ich over other issues. The spots dropping off can actually be a bad sign, ich is more likely to do that. It is a small fish, so even though the spots look large, I can't rule out ich here...watch for them to possibly return.

Jay
Good news! I checked on him this morning and he’s looking a LOT better. The spots aren’t 1,000% gone, however, they’re greatly reduced.
EA0895C6-C4F5-49AE-9C63-F83C2EDC8174.png
4C30CCA5-B8F3-4987-AAE5-974912A223FE.png
17665C5C-EE1F-4716-A570-278C94248784.png

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the looks of first pictures to new pictures my best guess is ich the spots seemed to have moved. I’m not an expert on disease just my thoughts. @Jay Hemdal is the best for this and will get you the rest of the way.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scrolling back and forth between the left side views, I think the four spots on the head have dropped off, and now there is a spot below the black stripe on the second dorsal. I'm just not able to (as much as I'd like to!) rule out ich here.

IMO - you should begin to prepare to dose with copper. Since you have invertebrates, you'll need a treatment tank, and that is a chore, especially today and tomorrow. The trouble is, your other fish have been exposed. Usually, that means they will become infected as well. I hope I'm wrong with my diagnosis, but I think you ought to at least prepare for the worst here....

Jay

Back