Clownfishs head is pale!!

amaxt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up early this morning and my light turned on revealing my single clownfish it’s head is pale and it’s swimming along the top of the tank sometimes on it’s side. this is my first fish and im not sure what to do. everything else seems fine. i did a water change yesterday. the only thing that happened that wa about do the ordinary was me putting a bag of activated carbon that hadn’t been washed in the filter, it fizzled up for a second then i took it out, i did t put it back in. help

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up early this morning and my light turned on revealing my single clownfish it’s head is pale and it’s swimming along the top of the tank sometimes on it’s side. this is my first fish and im not sure what to do. everything else seems fine. i did a water change yesterday. the only thing that happened that wa about do the ordinary was me putting a bag of activated carbon that hadn’t been washed in the filter, it fizzled up for a second then i took it out, i did t put it back in. help
You need to include white light photos and a short video to help this process along.

OP
OP
amaxt

amaxt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to include white light photos and a short video to help this process along.
my apologies, the pale wont show as much in white light

you can barely see it on camera D5A2D303-C492-45C7-8548-7D9A11E94153.jpeg 44FCCFCA-7B53-469F-94A1-090D1FC8DDC1.jpeg 1F5E1F26-0ACE-4B5B-ABBD-83E49E7ECC6E.jpeg

Last edited:

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my apologies, the pale wont show as much in white light
Couple experts on the matter have been tagged in. White light is necessary for any identification on here. Blue lighting has a way of washing out symptoms when posting.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Please provides pics under white lighting and when did this begin?
Is fish eating?
Is breathing rate normal or labored?

OP
OP
amaxt

amaxt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please provides pics under white lighting and when did this begin?
Is fish eating?
Is breathing rate normal or labored?
it happened this morning, it doesn’t seem to be eating and the breathing seems labored
the photos in white light have been posted

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See if you can turn the white light down a bit for a good diagnosis. Hard to tell the light is so bright but it may be brooklynella which is a parasite that starts on the head.

To set up a hospital/QT tank (which is good to have anyway) you will need a 10 gal tank, air stone & pump, heater and filter which you can pick up at Petco or Petsmart.

OP
OP
amaxt

amaxt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See if you can turn the white light down a bit for a good diagnosis. Hard to tell the light is so bright but it may be brooklynella which is a parasite that starts on the head.

To set up a hospital/QT tank (which is good to have anyway) you will need a 10 gal tank, air stone & pump, heater and filter which you can pick up at Petco or Petsmart.
image.jpg

i’m not sure if this helps but i turned the light down, and could the activated carbon have anything to do with it? everything was fine and i have no other fish in the tank nor have i added anything new

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon likely isn't the culprit. Was the fish quarantined or medicated prior to adding it? How long have you had this fish? How old is the tank?

OP
OP
amaxt

amaxt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon likely isn't the culprit. Was the fish quarantined or medicated prior to adding it? How long have you had this fish? How old is the tank?
It wasn’t medicated or quarantined and i got the fish right after my tank cycled. the tank is about 3 months old

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your LFS close by with good personnel? It's so hard to tell with the white body. Chances are you are going to need to purchase medication. One thought is to take the fish in and let them have a look and get your medication. That is what I would do.

Argentum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything else in the tank that has been aggressive towards it? Invert or coral? (edit, just saw you said this was your first and only fish, coffee hasn't kicked in for me yet!)

OP
OP
amaxt

amaxt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything else in the tank that has been aggressive towards it? Invert or coral? (edit, just saw you said this was your first and only fish, coffee hasn't kicked in for me yet!)
I have a kenya tree and a leather coral, that’s all that may do harm to it. but the pale color has started to go away and everything’s going back to normal, im not sure what it was but it’s gone now. and no worries

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, as the others mentioned, more information is needed. Here is a link to some helpful hints about posting a fish problem:

Jay

Argentum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good deal! Clownfish can be strange like that, some like to sleep on their sides and quite a few species of fish become paler while they sleep (probably helps deter predation).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As for sleep, they are found inverted upright or laying sideways
The mark on head may be second’s bacterial but image so white it’s hard to confirm.
mid bacterial, quarantine tank will need to be set up (a starter kit from Walmart makes a nice wt.
Treatment would be seachem neoplex but area is unconfirmed bacterial

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back