Clownish and anemone question!

leilani908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have 2 questions.

Question #1:
So, I've taken my clownfish out of my tank twice in trying to pair them with the new anemone and now since then whenever I put my hand in the tank, one of them is a little aggressive to it. Eyeing my hand and following it, acting as if he's about to lunge, etc. Any advice on how I can diminish the new aggression. I feel really bad for getting them like this.
Which leads to my second question.
Question #2:
What's a same and good tip on how to get my clowns to host my anemone without stressing them too much?
Thank you!

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may take some time for them to host & it's possible they don't ever host it. what kind of anemone is it. The aggression to your hand will not change, my Redspot goes after anything I put in my tank including my hand.

OP
OP
L

leilani908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may take some time for them to host & it's possible they don't ever host it. what kind of anemone is it. The aggression to your hand will not change, my Redspot goes after anything I put in my tank including my hand.

It's a green bubble tip. And they were never aggressive in the beginning. It started after taking them out.

ChaseB143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really shouldn’t try and force them to host it. The will do it at their pace, if they even host it. Forcing the clowns to host it can end up killing them.

OP
OP
L

leilani908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really shouldn’t try and force them to host it. The will do it at their pace, if they even host it. Forcing the clowns to host it can end up killing them.
I only tried twice in just putting them in close proximity to it. But that was in. I didn't want to stress them out anymore. So I hope they decide to on their own. If they don't ever host it, then that's okay :) I feel bad already for trying.

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 clowns and 2 btas, 1 clown took 9 months to go in and the other after another 5 months still doesn't go in it. And the nem hosts the clowns, it's his house ;). Just dont try and force them together, that would cause more stress to both animals.

Euphyllia97

Empty wallet member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give them time... If they want to host, they will. Try to spot feed them in the vicinity of the anemone. Agression will probabely go away with some patience. Remember clowns are quite agressive fish and might attack without any reason.

Enjoy those territorial ********!

ChaseB143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only tried twice in just putting them in close proximity to it. But that was in. I didn't want to stress them out anymore. So I hope they decide to on their own. If they don't ever host it, then that's okay :) I feel bad already for trying.
I’ve haven’t ever had a clown not host an anemone eventually though. One of them I had did take 4-5 months

icejam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown was really aggressive biting my hand every time I put my hand in the tank. That stopped after I moved him from 29gal to 55gal. He still attack all the fish but not my hand anymore. I have 3 anemones and he is hosting an outlet pipe - i guess they are called clowns for a reason.

OP
OP
L

leilani908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. Thank you all for your help!! I won't try to force the pairing anymore. I did more the rock the anem is on in the corner that they sleep in, so we'll see if that works. Maybe I'll try to do the spot feeding too, but I'll leave them be in hopes it happens naturally. ☺️ My clownfish aren't aggressive at all to any fish or anything. Just my hand now. So I hope that'll stop too. Thank you all again for your help!! ☺️☺️

James210ReefLife

James'210reefLife
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a head of frogspawn that my two loved. After a couple years i moved the frogspawn to another system. the very next day both clowns were swimming in and around all the rbta...
If I didn't more the frogspawn would they still be content with it........

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. Thank you all for your help!! I won't try to force the pairing anymore. I did more the rock the anem is on in the corner that they sleep in, so we'll see if that works. Maybe I'll try to do the spot feeding too, but I'll leave them be in hopes it happens naturally. ☺ My clownfish aren't aggressive at all to any fish or anything. Just my hand now. So I hope that'll stop too. Thank you all again for your help!! ☺☺
The clowns are just annoyed at you sticking your hand in their tank. It may happen it may not, just keep reefing, good things happen and 1 day they may just surprise you.

rfgonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish are aggressive and will protect their area. Against other fish and your hands.

I have had luck in the past by taping a picture to the side of the tank where your BTA is of a clown hosting a anemone. some times it works other times it doesn't.
It can take weeks and other times I've had it happen in a day.

OP
OP
L

leilani908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Print off a picture of another clown hosting the same type of anemone and tape it To the glass right in front of the anemone. Weird but it works.
Clownfish are aggressive and will protect their area. Against other fish and your hands.

I have had luck in the past by taping a picture to the side of the tank where your BTA is of a clown hosting a anemone. some times it works other times it doesn't.
It can take weeks and other times I've had it happen in a day.

Okay... Interesting. Weird that that could work, but I'm going to try it. Haha. Thank you all again! ☺️

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back