Co2 recirculating scrubber condensation issues

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jasongtr
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Jasongtr

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 31, 2022
Messages
623
Reaction score
340
Location
Uk
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my co2 scrubber set up recirculating, I was getting a load of condensation in the skimmer lid to co2 canister inlet hose, so I put a longer hose that grabs a hook at the top of the cabinet thinking the water vapour would collect on the walls of the hose and run back into the skimmer cup, it didn't.

Just went to check it and the bottom of the canister had about an inch of water in it, the sponge that the media sits on was wet too.

What's the best way of avoiding this hopefully still keeping the recirculating idea, it wasn't boosting ph that much having it recirculating bit will of course prolong the media (assuming it doesn't get wet and I have to throw it out of course....)

Thanks
 
I have my co2 scrubber set up recirculating, I was getting a load of condensation in the skimmer lid to co2 canister inlet hose, so I put a longer hose that grabs a hook at the top of the cabinet thinking the water vapour would collect on the walls of the hose and run back into the skimmer cup, it didn't.

Just went to check it and the bottom of the canister had about an inch of water in it, the sponge that the media sits on was wet too.

What's the best way of avoiding this hopefully still keeping the recirculating idea, it wasn't boosting ph that much having it recirculating bit will of course prolong the media (assuming it doesn't get wet and I have to throw it out of course....)

Thanks
The easiest thing to do is to put a trap container between your skimmer and CO2 media. Just an empty Tupperware or something for the water to collect in. Dump it when it gets full
 
The easiest thing to do is to put a trap container between your skimmer and CO2 media. Just an empty Tupperware or something for the water to collect in. Dump it when it gets full
I did think of that but thought as its actual moist air vapour it would still end up in the canister,only thinking this way as the hose as mentioned runs about 2 feet higher than the canister so I figured having a water trap would just essentially be a 'bulge' in the hose essentially
 
So I've added a drain to the bottom of the canister, mounted the canister from the inside of the cabinet ceiling so it's higher than the skimmer and we shall see how that goes, also just to make sure there's no risk of the sponge at the bottom soaking up any water I've also 3d printed a 15mm spacer to raise the media up a bit
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 38.9%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 16.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new