CO2 Scrubbing: An Unexpected Journey Chasing Numbers

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's odd is I have two tanks, I installed another co2 on my second frag tank with a much smaller skimmer and after 3 days it hasn't turn the media purple at all.
Smaller skimmer smaller air intake

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know but I wouldn't expect it to be such a huge difference. My bigger tank skimmer has less GPH than some of the ones listed on this thread so I am not sure why my media is used so fast.

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know but I wouldn't expect it to be such a huge difference. My bigger tank skimmer has less GPH than some of the ones listed on this thread so I am not sure why my media is used so fast.
Are they in different rooms?

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but both skimmers has their hose pulling air from outside, so both are getting the same air.
That's really strange. I wonder if there's a "tipping point" where after a certain l/ph the media becomes exhausted at a higher rate than normal. My only other suggestion would be to create some way to adjust the airflow through the canister that is exhausting so quickly and comprise a little lower pH for what could turn out to be a significantly longer media life.

Just ordered 6lbs of the stuff from medvet. I also bought a kessil h350 to see if I can raise my ph via increased growth to my chaeto. I'll keep you updated.
I'm looking forward to that update. Very interested in what both systems will do working in concert. One filtering the air and one filtering the water itself!

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slightly cleaner setup and a bigger humidifier. Now I can track how much water is left in the reservoir. For anyone trying out the humidifier thing, having a clear container adds a bit of reassurance for some reason :)

20170717_214046.jpg

Bonfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually am experiencing very similar results. My media sodasorb ordered from jorvet $95 lasts 24 hours before it is exhausted. I have chaeto in the sump with a led grow light and a line to the outside. Overall I am still experiencing wide swings in Alk absorption through out the day. There are days I am dosing 15ml and others 1ml. It is extremely difficult to maintain consistent numbers. I am using a Hannah checker ppm model, I test twice per day. I find that because my sump is in my basement that I experience much higher CO2 in the air. I am looking to get a sniffer to test the CO2 in the air. I second the KH guardian, I wish it was a little cheaper.

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually am experiencing very similar results. My media sodasorb ordered from jorvet $95 lasts 24 hours before it is exhausted. I have chaeto in the sump with a led grow light and a line to the outside. Overall I am still experiencing wide swings in Alk absorption through out the day. There are days I am dosing 15ml and others 1ml. It is extremely difficult to maintain consistent numbers. I am using a Hannah checker ppm model, I test twice per day. I find that because my sump is in my basement that I experience much higher CO2 in the air. I am looking to get a sniffer to test the CO2 in the air. I second the KH guardian, I wish it was a little cheaper.
Where is your skimmer pulling air from? In the stand? Outside? I don't know if everyone has benefited from it, but it seems most get an increase in longevity by adding some sort of humidifier to the intake to help prevent the media from drying out. What skimmer do you have?

Bonfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is your skimmer pulling air from? In the stand? Outside? I don't know if everyone has benefited from it, but it seems most get an increase in longevity by adding some sort of humidifier to the intake to help prevent the media from drying out. What skimmer do you have?

I have the line run to outside air from a aquamax coneS Q2 skimmer. I do add about a teaspoon of water the bottom of the reactor prior to placing the media cartridge back in. That was the instructions I had from the media company. I do not have a humidifier in line through. What does that look like?

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the line run to outside air from a aquamax coneS Q2 skimmer. I do add about a teaspoon of water the bottom of the reactor prior to placing the media cartridge back in. That was the instructions I had from the media company. I do not have a humidifier in line through. What does that look like?
I started with adding water to the canister, but it was always bone dry when I'd go to change my media. My latest "humidifier" is just a 32 oz mason jar. It's the same concept as adding water to the canister, just lasts longer and you can refill it without taking apart the canister.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran Soda lime to scrub C02 and didn't like the swings in Ph. I run an outside airline to my skimmer and I also have an air pump outside pumping fresh air into an air stone I keep in my filter sock. With the house shut up I still get 7.6-7.8 ph. Coral are happy. I'm done chasing ph numbers.

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran Soda lime to scrub C02 and didn't like the swings in Ph. I run an outside airline to my skimmer and I also have an air pump outside pumping fresh air into an air stone I keep in my filter sock. With the house shut up I still get 7.6-7.8 ph. Coral are happy. I'm done chasing ph numbers.
Lol I'm just about in the middle of the race :)

Bonfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try that thank you. I see three times the Alk absorption when the pH is at 8.3. I have much of the same problem, when the house is shut I usually see about 7.7-7.8. The aquarium does not seem to use Alk when my pH gets that low. Does that mean I will see decreased growth as well?

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try that thank you. I see three times the Alk absorption when the pH is at 8.3. I have much of the same problem, when the house is shut I usually see about 7.7-7.8. The aquarium does not seem to use Alk when my pH gets that low. Does that mean I will see decreased growth as well?
From what I know, alk consumption usually corresponds with growth. So in theory I'd say yes.

larcat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When our tank was booking along with SPS, we saw growth stagnate, tested everything, scratched heads for a long time, eventually saw PH was low (winter), started scrubbing, and did see growth and alk uptake come back. OTOH, in our experience the media got gobbled quickly. It is pretty obvious on your ph chart though when it happens.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back