Coast to Coast + FramingTech Custom 80

U

User1

View Badges
Nailed a great close up video of the emerald. The YouTube compression really ruined it, I need to learn how to prevent that. Vimeo is way better

I have a pair. They are not really a pair in that regards, well maybe, not like I watch them for that sort of thing but now I'm totally off track, right? Anyway I have two and it always amazes me how they go about their day or night scraping the various nooks and crannies. Before I know it 15 or more minutes have gone by with my standing there trying to see what the heck they ate. Odd creatures but cool. The larger one I have has bright red or orange dots on its arms in the joints. I walk by and it spreads them wide like it is telling a fishing tale and saying, "I caught a fish THIS BIT". I'm like right - whatever buddy.

Nice video and tank.

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair. They are not really a pair in that regards, well maybe, not like I watch them for that sort of thing but now I'm totally off track, right? Anyway I have two and it always amazes me how they go about their day or night scraping the various nooks and crannies. Before I know it 15 or more minutes have gone by with my standing there trying to see what the heck they ate. Odd creatures but cool. The larger one I have has bright red or orange dots on its arms in the joints. I walk by and it spreads them wide like it is telling a fishing tale and saying, "I caught a fish THIS BIT". I'm like right - whatever buddy.

Nice video and tank.

+1

I bought 3 to tackle a growing bubble algae. I had no idea they would be so much fun to watch. They are characters. Purple Stylo is a weed in my tank, I have a few large clumps of it, and the crabs love to tuck themselves inside the acro. They are always picking at something. Adds so much character to the tank.

I haven't posted in awhile. The tank is rocking, nothing new. I'll try to post some new pics soon.

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checking in mate! How’s the tank cruising?

I see you around again. How’s the tank going?

Hey guys!! Thanks for asking. The tank is rocking. I started a new job on November 1st, so you know how that goes.

Nothing had died. Some things have grown quite a bit (mak inferno anemone, space invader, purple stylo of course, all 3 Montis, and some millis). However many SPS (blue Tort, Hellboy, pink Floyd) are like frozen in time. Same coral, but unchanged. It's sort of amazing how little some have changed.

I'm about to install a Clarisea. I run filtersock less, and want cleaner water for pics.

The tank does have a "small" vermetid snail issue. It might become a real problem in a few years, but I figure there is nothing I can do, so just enjoy the tank.

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@najer the mystic monti is huge, I'll get you a picture. But something very interesting happen that I wanted to share.

I run carbon rarely, and I typically run it for 5 days then go a month without. Awhile back, I forgot it was in the sump and it stayed in for close to a month. There are over 40 corals in the tank, but the Mystic Monti reacted the most. A little white RTN spread to become probably a 1/3rd of the whole coral. After another ~2 months with no carbon, he 100% healed and is bigger than before.

I don't think you run carbon, but you mentioned this particular one has died on you before. I found it surprising that out of all the different corals in my tank, this one reacted most negatively and almost died on me.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@najer the mystic monti is huge, I'll get you a picture. But something very interesting happen that I wanted to share.

I run carbon rarely, and I typically run it for 5 days then go a month without. Awhile back, I forgot it was in the sump and it stayed in for close to a month. There are over 40 corals in the tank, but the Mystic Monti reacted the most. A little white RTN spread to become probably a 1/3rd of the whole coral. After another ~2 months with no carbon, he 100% healed and is bigger than before.

I don't think you run carbon, but you mentioned this particular one has died on you before. I found it surprising that out of all the different corals in my tank, this one reacted most negatively and almost died on me.

Phew! ;)
I am currently struggling with a few encrusting montis, mystic sunset is my favourite monti, I will try again some day! :)

I do keep carbon in the house, if I use it something unexpected happened!

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20190425_163631.jpg

Quick cell phone snap

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't updated this thread. Here's a camera phone video from today. Video shows how that single nem turned into 2 huge nems in a pretty short period!

I also bought a Clarisea. I'm really happy with it, zero regrets. I'll had more details later. For now, the tank:

Once the clarisea cleans up the water a bit, I'll get back to nice photograph + video. Tank is healthy, but the vermetid snails + aiptasia are annoying. I'll like to find the wrasse a new home and buy a bunch of nudis

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back