Coast to Coast + FramingTech Custom 80

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgrading my Reefer 170

The guys at Coast to Coast & Framing Tech were a joy to work with. I spent months trying to get quotes from a handful of vendors to no avail and these guys responded promptly and made this possible.

A small tank, but external overflows and extra height should provide 2x the volume of my Reefer 170. With the exception of lighting + return pump, all gear + livestock from the 170 is going in this tank.

Stand: 80/20 Aluminum stand by FramingTech
Tank: Coast to Coast 36x20x26 glass euro braced w/external overflow box

Skimmer: NYOS 120
Controller: Apex
Return: Reef Octopus Varios-6
Lighting: Orphek Atlantik V4
Flow: Dual Gyre 230 + VCA on return
ATO: Tunze
Sump: @Crystal Reef Aquatics Triton TRS20
Doser: GHL Doser 2.1. Would like to replace w/Dosetronics or Red Sea
Chemicals: ATi 2 Part

Last edited:
OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waiting on the tank, but the stand arrived this week. This PDF is what FramingTech generates for you after you provide the specs. I'll source plywood + foam locally.

I have magnet doors that that attach to the frame (not installed yet). I'll use these in the short term to hide equipment.

IMG_20180525_192005.jpg
IMG_20180525_192207.jpg

Attachments

• FTI-Tank-Stand-36x20x34.PDF
    178.1 KB · Views: 287
OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing is one thing I'm dreading. This is NOT my tank, but the external overflow will look same. On the Reefer series, you just screw in the plumbing. Nothing is permanent. The idea of gluing anything to the tank freaks me out. @Greybeard you plumbed your tank nicely, what is the safest connection to the tank? Safely not just leaking, but safest that I won't regret later?

I don't know what bulkheads the tank includes, but do I glue a few inches of pipe out of the overflow box into a union? Do people have threaded connections in the overflow that use no glue?
External 5.jpg

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking stand :) Coast 2 Coast may well provide decent bulkheads... I have no experience with them, but many tank manufactures supply junk for bulkheads. Deep Blue, in particular... their plumbing kits are just bad. It's an expensive hobby, don't cut corners on something as reasonable as a decent bulkhead. Schedule 80 is great, but most builders don't drill for them. Lifeguard makes a decent quality SCH40 bulkhead.

My drain system uses 4x thread/slip unions, inside the tank plumbing is slip fit, no glue, from bulkhead to overflow box, it's threaded and taped. From overflow to tank, it's glued, with the unions reversed, threaded inside the overflow box. Stand pipes in the overflow box are slip fit, no glue.

The returns use a piece of 1" silicone tube and PVC hose clamps to reduce vibration from the pump, into a glued up dual return, with true union ball valves. 3/4" slip/slip bulkheads on the returns, pipe outside is glued. If I ever had to completely disassemble the returns, I'd have to cut and replace the bulkheads and the pipe to the unions... but with my through the wall application, there just wasn't any other option.

With the overflow pictured, I'd use 2 thread/slip bulkheads, stand pipes slip fit, no glue. Thread to pipe to threaded union, glued from there on down to the sump... depending on how it runs, an additional union might be needed. You want to be able to disassemble everything easily. With a 2 bulkhead overflow box, you're looking at a Herbie style drain, right? Get a decent quality gate valve for the siphon drain, makes a huge difference in being able to adjust flow.

I've found that getting a real clean cut, even beveling it and sanding it smooth, helps cut noise on that trickle stand pipe.

With that clear glass overflow box, I might be tempted to use clear PVC tube... but keeping it clean would be a major PITA. I'd probably talk myself out of it. In fact, I'd probably end up painting the outside of the overflow box. Light grows algae.

BRS has some colored PVC, Aquarium Specialty has more, and their prices are pretty good.

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/parts-plumbing/pvc-parts.html

Oh, and Precision Marine has purpose made PVC bulkhead wrenches. Real handy.

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the overflow pictured, I'd use 2 thread/slip bulkheads, stand pipes slip fit, no glue. Thread to pipe to threaded union, glued from there on down to the sump... depending on how it runs, an additional union might be needed. You want to be able to disassemble everything easily. With a 2 bulkhead overflow box, you're looking at a Herbie style drain, right? Get a decent quality gate valve for the siphon drain, makes a huge difference in being able to adjust flow.

Thank you so much! That was invaluable. Herbie drain, I found some strainers on Marine Depot for the primary. BRS sells that expensive spears gate valve, but need a SCH40 to SCH80 adapter to use it I think.

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Greybeard I'm browsing aquarium specialty and I think it was one of those BioTek unions that exploded and took out that Elos tank. Any idea how that happened?

Just seems strange that unions are almost $7 at BRS and $2 at Aquarium Specialty.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! That was invaluable. Herbie drain, I found some strainers on Marine Depot for the primary. BRS sells that expensive spears gate valve, but need a SCH40 to SCH80 adapter to use it I think.

Why would you need an adapter? Schedule 40 and 80 are interchangeable. I use Lasco unions and so far they seem solid (only had them for 2 years though).

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you need an adapter? Schedule 40 and 80 are interchangeable. I use Lasco unions and so far they seem solid (only had them for 2 years though).

Thanks. The plumbing is new to me, if the external dimension of SCH 80 is thicker, then I thought slips fittings would accept a particular size. Apparently not. Apparently I can buy all SCH80 fittings (unions, gate value) and use SCH 40 pipe.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. The plumbing is new to me, if the external dimension of SCH 80 is thicker, then I thought slips fittings would accept a particular size. Apparently not. Apparently I can buy all SCH80 fittings (unions, gate value) and use SCH 40 pipe.

You got It, schedule 80 fittings are thicker outwards and schedule 80 pipe is thicker inwards which makes them interchangeable :)

Oh BTW, LOVE the stand!

Last edited:
OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh BTW, LOVE the stand!
Thank you! A bunch of credit to Anthony @ Framing Tech

Return Pump Question Everyone
My tank has 3/4" return. The Varios-6 has a 1.5" output, so I have to reduce two sizes. Does that defeat the extra flow and do more harm (reduce pump lifes) than good? The Varios-4 has a 1" output, so only reduce one size.

No manifold, only $40 difference between the two pumps. I'll keep my Varios-2 from the 170 as backup.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the 6 myself, you would be maxing out the 4 depending on what kind of flow rate you want. Even with the reduction (1.25" to 3/4") your pump wouldn't have to run even close to max to get your required flow.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Greybeard I'm browsing aquarium specialty and I think it was one of those BioTek unions that exploded and took out that Elos tank. Any idea how that happened?

Just seems strange that unions are almost $7 at BRS and $2 at Aquarium Specialty.
That was my tank.
Yes it was those unions, only one out of 4 blew out. It actually had very minimal flow.

Let me know if you want a hand with the plumbing, I can swing by after work anytime.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back