Coast to Coast + FramingTech Custom 80

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgrading my Reefer 170

The guys at Coast to Coast & Framing Tech were a joy to work with. I spent months trying to get quotes from a handful of vendors to no avail and these guys responded promptly and made this possible.

A small tank, but external overflows and extra height should provide 2x the volume of my Reefer 170. With the exception of lighting + return pump, all gear + livestock from the 170 is going in this tank.

Stand: 80/20 Aluminum stand by FramingTech
Tank: Coast to Coast 36x20x26 glass euro braced w/external overflow box

Skimmer: NYOS 120
Controller: Profilux 4
Lighting: Orphek Atlantik V4
Flow: Gyre 230 + MP10 + VCA on return
Return: Reef Octopus Varios-4 or Varios-6
ATO: Avast Marine ATO w/peristalic pump
Doser: GHL Doser 2.1 (Triton other methods)
Sump: @Crystal Reef Aquatics Triton TRS20

QT: AquaMaxx 12G with Orphek LED LightBar
Dang! That's serious upgrade with a bunch of top notch gear. You are going to love the Varios - whatever size you choose. Fiddling with Varios on my Redsea build I can tell you they are very quiet.

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! That was invaluable. Herbie drain, I found some strainers on Marine Depot for the primary. BRS sells that expensive spears gate valve, but need a SCH40 to SCH80 adapter to use it I think.
I just used the Herbie for the first time - very quit if you have a good gate valve for the return. And I use the same strainers from Marine Depot.

Last edited:

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! A bunch of credit to Anthony @ Framing Tech

Return Pump Question Everyone
My tank has 3/4" return. The Varios-6 has a 1.5" output, so I have to reduce two sizes. Does that defeat the extra flow and do more harm (reduce pump lifes) than good? The Varios-4 has a 1" output, so only reduce one size.

No manifold, only $40 difference between the two pumps. I'll keep my Varios-2 from the 170 as backup.
I would go with the S6 and run it at 30-50 percent or whatever worked. Longer life on the return pump and dead silent at those levels.

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the S6 and run it at 30-50 percent or whatever worked. Longer life on the return pump and dead silent at those levels.

Thanks for following! I'm with you, running the 6 at half speed make sense.

Fingers crossed we get a tank and it gets wet in the next couple of weeks.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I like the stand No worries there. I installed a cor20 that has the 1.25" output so I ran all 1" (bulkhead) to the last point then to .75" I placed two tee's for for reactors 1"x 1" x .5" and found hayward needle valves on e-bay .
If a reactor might get used you'll have a lot of surplus flow with a V6. Good luck!

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS Memorial Day Sale #SaltIsHeavy
IMG_20180531_150423.jpg

BRS offers free returns on all plumbing within 30 days #ExtraParts #NeedATank
IMG_20180531_150535.jpg

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought my wife just did that, buy the whole store then return half. That still means I bought half the store.;) You did good, I think I ran out 5 times, You got it covered.

Watch it all go pear shaped once there is solvent weld glue involved, hope it is not like me and superglue of 1 frag!

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I found the build to go with the stand we were talking about elsewhere ;) You're off to a stellar start

Thank you!

The Orphek will be new for this tank? I absolutely love mine and one fixture will be great on this system

Yes. No experience with them, but they looked ideal from the BRS investigates video. The GHL has great spread and beautiful light, but it also really ticks me off. Let's say you want 15k color temperature and max power, it's trivial in most lights. With the Mitras, you have to adjust probably 30 settings (and break out excel to do math) to get max power then monitor temperature to see if it silently overheats + throttles itself, then adjust settings accordingly. Learning that you need to adjust those 30 settings and determining their proper value will likely take months of reading forums.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fingers crossed we get a tank and it gets wet in the next couple of weeks.

Couple of WEEKS???? Well that's just unacceptable;):p

I'm interested to see your results with the orphik, it's pretty tempting for a new build but I'd need 3-4 of them and for such an expensive light it's a shame you need to spend the extra money on the gateway.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Learning that you need to adjust those 30 settings and determining their proper value will likely take months of reading forums.
Yeah, that seems tedious and agravating. You'll get what you need from the Orphek and more. My only gripe on the fixture is the acclimation mode simply drops to a set program with no slow ramping feature. You have to manually bump it up over time.

OP
OP
HolisticBear

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning to attach the pvc to the 8020 for support?

I have a HDPE panel on the back, so I can screw in fasteners to that.

This will be the most boring plumbing job. No manifold, no Tees, just straight lines down and up, with a union and gate-valve along the way.

I don't run any chemical media so have no need for reactors or driving anything via the return pump

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back