OP
OP
COCOBBALL

COCOBBALL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to make a quick update on progress.

Re-soldered some of the bad connections but still having issue finding the temperature probe.

Going to purchase more temp sensor on Monday to check if thats the issue.

Mounted components and drilled house in case.
20181123_153458.jpeg
20181123_154125.jpeg

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check all your connections with a multi meter. I found bad connections in my 1/8' jack and plug. I ended up connecting my sensor directly to the circuit and doing away with the plug and socket. One of the bad things about the 1/8" connectors is if you use too much heat when you solder them up you can melt the plastic rings inside that keep the metal parts from shorting out.
If you do find the connectors are shorted out you could use some like this and do away with soldering altogether.
I think these are the same kind @ScottBrew used in his build.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077XPSKQD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KOV6NGA/ref=psdc_172544_t1_B01J22IKI0

I also switched the positive wire from 3.3volt to 5 volt on Ranjib's advice and the probe works that way it's supposed to now.

Last edited:

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im glad you got it working. I am thinking if we should recommend some other type of connectors.
Unfortunately, I think the solder ones suffer from improper soldering technique. Almost have to preheat and tin the wire so as not to allow too much heat to pass to the plug. Used them a long time ago for something else and had problems with that exact thing. Subconsciously, probably why I went with the screw type connectors. And, I'm actually pretty good at soldering.

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im glad you got it working. I am thinking if we should recommend some other type of connectors.

I like the ones linked they seem to be pretty sturdy and it eliminates the soldering.

Unfortunately, I think the solder ones suffer from improper soldering technique. Almost have to preheat and tin the wire so as not to allow too much heat to pass to the plug. Used them a long time ago for something else and had problems with that exact thing. Subconsciously, probably why I went with the screw type connectors. And, I'm actually pretty good at soldering.

I work on guitars and amps and I have noticed that in the older models of amps all of the input jacks used a different material to separate all the metal parts. It kinda looks like fiberglass or the stuff pcb boards are made of, but none of it melts.
The newer stuff all uses plastic and I hate seeing that when it needs to be soldered.
Somebody linked some mini xlr type connectors that looked good to. I'll see if I can find the link.

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work on guitars and amps and I have noticed that in the older models of amps all of the input jacks used a different material to separate all the metal parts. It kinda looks like fiberglass or the stuff pcb boards are made of, but none of it melts.
The newer stuff all uses plastic and I hate seeing that when it needs to be soldered.
Somebody linked some mini xlr type connectors that looked good to. I'll see if I can find the link.
If you use these or similar again, heat the wires first until you can tin them before touching them to the connector terminals. Keep the wire hot! The wire needs most of the heat from the soldering iron to get to temp where the solder will flow. The terminal needs very little. After you put the wire against the terminal, only hold the iron against the wire itself until heated enough for the solder to flow. May need helping hands https://www.harborfreight.com/helping-hands-60501.html

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use these or similar again, heat the wires first until you can tin them before touching them to the connector terminals. Keep the wire hot! The wire needs most of the heat from the soldering iron to get to temp where the solder will flow. The terminal needs very little. After you put the wire against the terminal, only hold the iron against the wire itself until heated enough for the solder to flow. May need helping hands https://www.harborfreight.com/helping-hands-60501.html

Thanks! Good tip. I do tin all my wires first, but then try to heat the terminals. That's were I'm going wrong.

OP
OP
COCOBBALL

COCOBBALL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check all your connections with a multi meter. I found bad connections in my 1/8' jack and plug. I ended up connecting my sensor directly to the circuit and doing away with the plug and socket. One of the bad things about the 1/8" connectors is if you use too much heat when you solder them up you can melt the plastic rings inside that keep the metal parts from shorting out.
If you do find the connectors are shorted out you could use some like this and do away with soldering altogether.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077XPSKQD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also switched the positive wire from 3.3volt to 5 volt on Ranjib's advice and the probe works that way it's supposed to now.
I like these connectors. Going to put in an order now thanks.

I also got some flux to help with my soldering.

I'm betting I ruin the connectors by getting them too hot and melting if that's the case.

OP
OP
COCOBBALL

COCOBBALL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked continuity from one side of the connector to the other side of the other connector (plugged in)?
I did this and think I found a problem with the positive because there was no beep going through. I switched blue and red on the male prob and i can hear beep now.

After reading all the comments I'm starting to think I damaged the connector itself because I heated it 10x already.

I order the non solder type see how that goes

OP
OP
COCOBBALL

COCOBBALL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I tried running 5v on positive but still not finding.

Will try directly to Circuit I didn't know I could do that

Basically I can just connect the wires to male header pins on the correct rails?

Last edited:
OP
OP
COCOBBALL

COCOBBALL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ScottBrew

Can you tell me if im doing this correct. I circled on image where i tested.

I put the Voltmeter prob on the red wire coming in on male prob

And the other on the end of red wire that plugs into hat.

I hear the beep on all 3 wires tested so its not my connections?

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i thought the 3.5 mm jacks cause a short when you plug them in and unplug them.. We talked about this in the main reef-pi thread a long time ago. I have a bunch of them and stopped using them because of this.. or am i Wrong...

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i thought the 3.5 mm jacks cause a short when you plug them in and unplug them.. We talked about this in the main reef-pi thread a long time ago. I have a bunch of them and stopped using them because of this.. or am i Wrong...

You're right. You should only unplug the jack if your rpi is off.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the mini xlr connectors. I'll order some. Im experimenting with microUSB and min-din connectors. Mini din connectors are fairly similar to mini xlr, but as higher pin count. For ATO we'll need 4 pin connectors.

OP
OP
COCOBBALL

COCOBBALL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@COCOBBALL did you get the temp probe working?
Nope,

I have continuity on all 3 connections. Also tested resistance on all 3 as well, about .02 ohms.

Ive pretty much convinced myself i ruined the male connnector.

I have 2 different types of connectors coming.

I have 2 more temp probs coming.

Id still like to connect straight to the hat like suggested next but my wife has me busy atm

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back