OP
OP
COCOBBALL

COCOBBALL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check all your connections with a multi meter. I found bad connections in my 1/8' jack and plug. I ended up connecting my sensor directly to the circuit and doing away with the plug and socket. One of the bad things about the 1/8" connectors is if you use too much heat when you solder them up you can melt the plastic rings inside that keep the metal parts from shorting out.
If you do find the connectors are shorted out you could use some like this and do away with soldering altogether.
I think these are the same kind @ScottBrew used in his build.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077XPSKQD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KOV6NGA/ref=psdc_172544_t1_B01J22IKI0

I also switched the positive wire from 3.3volt to 5 volt on Ranjib's advice and the probe works that way it's supposed to now.
Need some help with these connectors.

Its labled R S T.

I looked it up and it stands for Ring,Sleeve, and tip... i dont want to mess this up but i think it means

R=positive 3v(red)
S=ground(black)
T=data/terminal(blue)

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some help with these connectors.

Its labled R S T.

I looked it up and it stands for Ring,Sleeve, and tip... i dont want to mess this up but i think it means

R=positive 3v(red)
S=ground(black)
T=data/terminal(blue)

Use:
Tip = Positive
Ring = Data
Sleeve = Ground

OP
OP
COCOBBALL

COCOBBALL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having same issue even with the idiot proof connections and new thermometer.

Going to read back over the thread and see if I miss something.
20181127_144914.jpeg
20181127_121406.jpeg
20181127_121358.jpeg
20181127_121347.jpeg

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can make the circuit anywhere on the board you just have to use 3.3v for positive, a 4.7k resistor between positive and data and use GPIO 4 as it's dedicated to 1 wire data.

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having same issue even with the idiot proof connections and new thermometer.

Going to read back over the thread and see if I miss something.
20181127_144914.jpeg
20181127_121406.jpeg
20181127_121358.jpeg
20181127_121347.jpeg
Left, right and ground. The "arrow" is actually the symbol for ground. Think headphones, which is the most common use for these plugs. Did you try hooking it up using jumpers before you assembled the plugs? You should verify continuity (across the plugged together plugs) with your meter that your connections are correct across the plug before you attach the wires to it.

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And it does not matter what connections are which in the plugs as long as they match both sides of the plug. That being said, it's a good idea to follow some sort of logical order. Ground hooked to the terminal that has the ground symbol. And make all your temp sensor follow the same orientation.

OP
OP
COCOBBALL

COCOBBALL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i found what i did wrong after almost a week of buying parts/tools re-soldering, testing new thermometer ect...

I didnt have 1 wire enabled in the raspi-config. I rushed my new install of reef-pi 2 and forgot to do it.

Frustrating but lesson learned.

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i found what i did wrong after almost a week of buying parts/tools re-soldering, testing new thermometer ect...

I didnt have 1 wire enabled in the raspi-config. I rushed my new install of reef-pi 2 and forgot to do it.

That's a good lesson for all of us I guess, start with the basics! Glad you got it going.

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ahh yes another fine example of all of us missing electronics 101 Rule 1.

Is it turned on?

I was stuck in the mode of having dealt with a bad sensor and didn't even think of that.

Glad you got it working.

OP
OP
COCOBBALL

COCOBBALL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One issue im having is my sump pump for the ATO. Anytime i reset the reef-pi or if power outage anything happens the pump turns on.

Example:
Pump is off and everything running fine
Pi reset for some reason or another
Pump auto turns(plug 1) on and overflows my sump
I have to go under equipment setting and turn pump off.

its working great for the ato function..Just need the plug to stop defaulting to the "on position" during resets

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One issue im having is my sump pump for the ATO. Anytime i reset the reef-pi or if power outage anything happens the pump turns on.

Example:
Pump is off and everything running fine
Pi reset for some reason or another
Pump auto turns(plug 1) on and overflows my sump
I have to go under equipment setting and turn pump off.
I read someone else having problems where the optical sensor doesn't work if it starts under water already, if in fact you are using an optical sensor. If your main pump shuts off with the pi as well, could be your issue as the water level in the sump is higher when it starts again. Might add a float type sensor in series. Hope somebody else can add more to help.

OP
OP
COCOBBALL

COCOBBALL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read someone else having problems where the optical sensor doesn't work if it starts under water already, if in fact you are using an optical sensor. If your main pump shuts off with the pi as well, could be your issue as the water level in the sump is higher when it starts again. Might add a float type sensor in series. Hope somebody else can add more to help.
Thanks Scottbrew i hadent seen that and im pretty sure that is exactly whats happening.

I do have a mechanical float in series that has been saving my tank. Im going to move it down lower i guess.
20181129_101116.jpeg

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not recall who it was but someone gave this temp probe high praise. They bought it, hooked it up and have been using it for over 2 years with no problems. Also, it doesn't need anything additional done to it to make it waterproof.

Anyone else tried this one?

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11050
Its black powder coated (less chance of rusting) and has long cable length. Mine ones are running for 2+ years

OP
OP
COCOBBALL

COCOBBALL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the ato pump outlet by default on ?
I dont think so , where would i find this setting?

If I restart the pi with probe submerged the pump kicks on right away.
If I restart pi with probe out of water the pump kicks on because the probe is out of the water.

Ive just been starting it with probe out, once pump kicks on i put back into place and let it stop. It functions normal after this.

Another question i have is about my second temp probe.

I need to extend the cord length can i just solder on a couple feet of the solid core wire ? They are different kind of wire does that cause problems?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 72 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back