Coldwater biological filtration questions

salty01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A year ago during Covid I adopted six pacific Sea Nettles from local aquariums that had to close. I have had many moon jellyfish in the past for approximately 10 years. The tank is custom-made from a friend of mine in Southern California called pacific marine labs specializing in moon jellyfish The tank is almost a year old and during the time of cycling I cycled the tank at 78° with seated bio balls,The tanks filtration system is a simple three stage filter system with a 10 gallon reservoir at the bottom for pumps and various equipment(sump)
It is directly under the tank it is shallow there’s not a lot of room for any tall Equipment etc. skimmers reactors.
1.Mechanical filters (Filter floss)
2.Carbon filter ( chemipure blue)
3 Bio ball chamber
No skimmer

The Cycle took a l while but once cycled I reduce the temp to 61° They actually prefer colder but 61 is pretty much the limit. I introduced 2 medium size jellyfish at a time and since dropping the temperature have struggled with Ammonia , Nitrate , Nitrates and phosphates.
The really cool thing is there’s absolutely no algae to show that the nutrients are high because such a low temp.
I want to Install 2 external media reactors 1.To boost up Biological filter was some kind of extreme porous rock like Seachem matrix 2.some kind of phosphate and nitrate Reducer. I don’t feel the amount of bio balls and not having any live rock in there is doing any justice I have put four small bio blocks in the sump area. I have not Noticed anything from those there’s not a lot of water movement in that reservoir. They’ve been in there for about four months.

Here’s the question
Is it because I’m running such a low temperature I’m having such a hard time with the bio filtration and will this still be problem if using other bio filtration media?

PS. As of now I’m doing a lot of water changes but is highly not recommended because jellyfish don’t breathe the water, they are the water

Thank
JELLY MAN
image.jpg
F4F9A10B-CD6D-47E9-99FC-229B5F59AB32.jpeg

Last edited:

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the question
Is it because I’m running such a low temperature I’m having such a hard time with the bio filtration and will this still be problem if using other bio filtration media?

Yes. I've seen posts for cold water aquaria where the cycle completed after 4-6 months. Metabolic processes slow appreciably in colder water.

OP
OP
S

salty01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I've seen posts for cold water aquaria where the cycle completed after 4-6 months. Metabolic processes slow appreciably in colder water.
So not an impossible achievement just gonna take a long time. Do you think the investment of media reactors will give it a helping hand to stabilize?

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have an answer for you but why not pack the sump with established live rock? That would immediately add the needed bacteria to combat the ammonia issue.

Cool setup too! What do you feed them?

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have an answer for you but why not pack the sump with established live rock? That would immediately add the needed bacteria to combat the ammonia issue.

The problem is that even though 'X' amount of bacteria are present and are sufficient to complete the nitrogen cycle in reef temp waters, they would slow down appreciably in cold water...which would mean you'll need a lot more of the bac to do a similar job. JCM's suggestion seems to be the most appropriate as you'll get substrate along with bacteria. Bacteria are highly adaptive, so my assumption is that much of the warm temp adapted bac population will slow down, but survive/adapt to cold water.

'In theory', a media reactor could help in the long term since it would supply a large amount of substrate for the 'metabolically challenged' bacteria to colonize. However, bac reproduction takes longer in cold water, so if you aren't introducing large populations of bac along with the media, you are back to the time for reproduction thing.

OP
OP
S

salty01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I’m thinking is the lack of substrate. Not to mention it’s really cool thinking that Some kind of extreme porous media in a Controlled flow will help

OP
OP
S

salty01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is that even though 'X' amount of bacteria are present and are sufficient to complete the nitrogen cycle in reef temp waters, they would slow down appreciably in cold water...which would mean you'll need a lot more of the bac to do a similar job. JCM's suggestion seems to be the most appropriate as you'll get substrate along with bacteria. Bacteria are highly adaptive, so my assumption is that much of the warm temp adapted bac population will slow down, but survive/adapt to cold water.

'In theory', a media reactor could help in the long term since it would supply a large amount of substrate for the 'metabolically challenged' bacteria to colonize. However, bac reproduction takes longer in cold water, so if you aren't introducing large populations of bac along with the media, you are back to the time for reproduction thing.
So with only a small chambered in the bottom Which is not really a sump because it doesn’t have chambers and has very little water movement what would be best way to get substrate working in the cold water environment..

OP
OP
S

salty01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I thought about Liverock but I just don’t have enough room in there and I’ve always told that bio blocks and other media have so much more surface area without the space.. Far as food they eat me a lot it takes about $180 a month to feed sexy these blobs

Monday - Nauplii Artemia
Tuesday - Live chopped up moon jellies
Wednesday- Nauplii Artemia
Thursday - “Soup-day” Slurry of silversides Mysis and krill
Friday -Nauplii Artemia
Saturday- Soup-day
Sunday- Nauplii Artemia

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about Liverock but I just don’t have enough room in there and I’ve always told that bio blocks and other media have so much more surface area without the space.. Far as food they eat me a lot it takes about $180 a month to feed sexy these blobs

Monday - Nauplii Artemia
Tuesday - Live chopped up moon jellies
Wednesday- Nauplii Artemia
Thursday - “Soup-day” Slurry of silversides Mysis and krill
Friday -Nauplii Artemia
Saturday- Soup-day
Sunday- Nauplii Artemia

Very cool! Yeah the bio balls/blocks add a ton of surface area for bacteria. It will take a good while for that bacteria to establish itself though which is why I mentioned the live rock. I dont know much about cold water setups though, I'd listen to nano sapiens.

OP
OP
S

salty01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Another possible solution I was thinking of is a secondary sump on the bottom level. More bio balls or media more water quantity and I’m able to put media reactors in there.The problem I run in to with this a 2 tier Sump configuration that is crazy to me!! I can’t wrap my head around the different pump locations , chiller etc.. my head explodes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 39

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with only a small chambered in the bottom Which is not really a sump because it doesn’t have chambers and has very little water movement what would be best way to get substrate working in the cold water environment..
Seems that your main limitations are space and time. How about packing the small chamber in the bottom with a media that has the largest surface area/volume for long-term bacterial colonization. How much flow is in there? Might be just right to allow for both nitrification and denitrification, if you get lucky :) If really slow, a small pump in there should help.

In the short term, attach a container of some sort with a good amount of live rock to process ammonia, etc.). Over time, you can slowly remove the live rock and let the media take over nitrification duties. Denitrification

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another possible solution I was thinking of is a secondary sump on the bottom level. More bio balls or media more water quantity and I’m able to put media reactors in there.The problem I run in to with this a 2 tier Sump configuration that is crazy to me!! I can’t wrap my head around the different pump locations , chiller etc.. my head explodes.
That's the fun part ;)

OP
OP
S

salty01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems that your main limitations are space and time. How about packing the small chamber in the bottom with a media that has the largest surface area/volume for long-term bacterial colonization. How much flow is in there? Might be just right to allow for both nitrification and denitrification, if you get lucky :) If really slow, a small pump in there should help.

In the short term, attach a container of some sort with a good amount of live rock to process ammonia, etc.). Over time, you can slowly remove the live rock and let the media take over nitrification duties. Denitrification
That's the fun part ;)
That’s a big gamble on the wife’s fully remodeled home!!!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 89 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back