College pico reef?

IL613

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 21, 2021
Messages
5
Reaction score
3
Location
Los Angeles
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

This is my first time posting a question, so thanks ahead of time for your responses! I'm looking forward to learning here...

I've been in the saltwater hobby for 8 years and I'll be moving out to college in a few months. I was looking to set up a pico reef using a 2.5 gallon glass aquarium (w/ clip-on lighting & HoB filter), but I've never kept a reef tank smaller than 20 gallons and I was wondering what kind of daily, weekly, and monthly maintenance a pico would require.

I'm well-aware of how difficult it is to keep water parameters stable, and nitrates and phosphates down. I've just heard a lot of noise about how often water changes and other maintenance should be done.

Also, stocking ideas would be very much appreciated :) For reference, I have experience with LPS, SPS, soft corals, and anemones.
 
Many college students have or go with pick tanks
Even.a 14g bio cube will work
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 34.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new