Combined GFO & CARBON

AtlanticGail

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 18, 2023
Messages
92
Reaction score
24
Location
Canada
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone combine GFO & CARBON in media reactor, is it better results than just with GFO alone?
 
Anyone combine GFO & CARBON in media reactor, is it better results than just with GFO alone?

It's common to do so. The main advantage is that if you mix it well, you don't have to worry about tumbling the GFO. The main drawback is that you are going to waste media because you're going to have to change out one before the other is depleted. When I ran GFO I always mixed with carbon so I didn't have to worry about tumbling. The media serve two separate purposes, so it won't give you better results per se. You'll just be getting the water clarity of the carbon and the phosphate reduction of the GFO based on the quantities of each that you use.
 
It's common to do so. The main advantage is that if you mix it well, you don't have to worry about tumbling the GFO. The main drawback is that you are going to waste media because you're going to have to change out one before the other is depleted. When I ran GFO I always mixed with carbon so I didn't have to worry about tumbling. The media serve two separate purposes, so it won't give you better results per se. You'll just be getting the water clarity of the carbon and the phosphate reduction of the GFO based on the quantities of each that you use.
Did you place it between two sponges in media reactor?
 
Did you place it between two sponges in media reactor?

Yes, I mix the go and carbon well then place a sponge under it and over it holding it all together tightly. If you mix the two you don’t want it to tumble at all because the carbon will grind the gfo to dust.
 
It's common to do so. The main advantage is that if you mix it well, you don't have to worry about tumbling the GFO. The main drawback is that you are going to waste media because you're going to have to change out one before the other is depleted. When I ran GFO I always mixed with carbon so I didn't have to worry about tumbling. The media serve two separate purposes, so it won't give you better results per se. You'll just be getting the water clarity of the carbon and the phosphate reduction of the GFO based on the quantities of each that you use.
Did you increase your flow compared just flow with GFO alone just tumbllng
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new