Comeback in the hobby

JcK03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all !
My name is Jess, Im 31 years old, and I'm a French Canadian so sry if my English is not perfect !
I'm returning in the hobby after a few years out ! I have begin last week with a nano(2.5gal) of freshwater, with a little Betta in it ! But ya.. this is not enough for me ! I want to restart reef keeping

Sooooo...

I've just bought a new Waterbox Cube 20 gallon
Equipments I've choose;
•Icecap K1 nano skimmer
•Radion XR15 G5 Blue
•Jabeao SW-2 wakemaker
•Jagger 100w heather

I've bought a bag of Caribsea Ocean direct live Sand, a box of waterbox reef salt, Dr.Tims bottle for start the cycle !

I think I'm now ready to begin, just waiting for all the equipment to arrive!
I'll try to update here all my set up and experience :)

Can't wait to add my futur oscellaris clownfish duo and few soft and lps corals !
(I have already pre-order a orange storm clownfish and a nearly naked clownfish )

Thanks for reading, and good reefing! ✌

I put here some pics I have from my past reef

Screenshot_20240114_123732_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20240114_123827_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oo, you had a nice tank going before! Here's hoping you can get something just as nice going now.

Bettas need a minimum of a 5-gallon tank, larger for short-finned individuals. I would strongly suggest upgrading your betta to a suitable tank, ideally a rectangular one to allow for as much horizontal space as possible. The 2.5gal will make a nice tank for some hardy neocaridina/cherry shrimp instead.

OP
OP
JcK03

JcK03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oo, you had a nice tank going before! Here's hoping you can get something just as nice going now.

Bettas need a minimum of a 5-gallon tank, larger for short-finned individuals. I would strongly suggest upgrading your betta to a suitable tank, ideally a rectangular one to allow for as much horizontal space as possible. The 2.5gal will make a nice tank for some hardy neocaridina/cherry shrimp instead.
Thanks for the advice! This aquarium is the Fluval especially for Betta so I was thinking is good for him ! But be relax, I'm not the type of people how put a yellow tang in a 20gal reef tank hahaha !!

Attachments

• 1705282219184876697440032883081.jpg
    1705282219184876697440032883081.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 14

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ah, yeah, that's just the box. A lot of aquarium and terrarium manufacturers will do that sort of thing, claiming a habitat is good for an animal that won't do well in it. I've seen a tank for sale, labeled "betta tank", that's approximately 1/2 gallon and comes with two dividers so you can keep 3 male bettas in it. This isn't quite as bad as that, of course. A betta isn't likely to die from being kept in there. It just won't have enough space.

Fluval does make very pretty little setups, so that's definitely worth keeping for freshwater shrimp, or for if you decide you want to have a go at a pico reef. Or, if you want the easiest aquatic pets you've ever seen in your life, opae ula are a tiny species of brackish water shrimp that have such a low bio-load and such a low metabolism that they'll happily live off of algae and monthly-at-most feedings alone. All you have to do for opae ula is top up their water when it evaporates, and very rarely feed them. I don't wind up feeding mine at all, as the occasional gnat gets in there and dies for them to eat. Easier than houseplants! You can read about them at petshrimp.com.

OP
OP
JcK03

JcK03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, yeah, that's just the box. A lot of aquarium and terrarium manufacturers will do that sort of thing, claiming a habitat is good for an animal that won't do well in it. I've seen a tank for sale, labeled "betta tank", that's approximately 1/2 gallon and comes with two dividers so you can keep 3 male bettas in it. This isn't quite as bad as that, of course. A betta isn't likely to die from being kept in there. It just won't have enough space.

Fluval does make very pretty little setups, so that's definitely worth keeping for freshwater shrimp, or for if you decide you want to have a go at a pico reef. Or, if you want the easiest aquatic pets you've ever seen in your life, opae ula are a tiny species of brackish water shrimp that have such a low bio-load and such a low metabolism that they'll happily live off of algae and monthly-at-most feedings alone. All you have to do for opae ula is top up their water when it evaporates, and very rarely feed them. I don't wind up feeding mine at all, as the occasional gnat gets in there and dies for them to eat. Easier than houseplants! You can read about them at petshrimp.com.
Oh yea this look nice to have ! I'll keep this in mind for sure !! And you pick my interest on the pico reef ... 0-0 ...

KandAReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all !
My name is Jess, Im 31 years old, and I'm a French Canadian so sry if my English is not perfect !
I'm returning in the hobby after a few years out ! I have begin last week with a nano(2.5gal) of freshwater, with a little Betta in it ! But ya.. this is not enough for me ! I want to restart reef keeping

Sooooo...

I've just bought a new Waterbox Cube 20 gallon
Equipments I've choose;
•Icecap K1 nano skimmer
•Radion XR15 G5 Blue
•Jabeao SW-2 wakemaker
•Jagger 100w heather

I've bought a bag of Caribsea Ocean direct live Sand, a box of waterbox reef salt, Dr.Tims bottle for start the cycle !

I think I'm now ready to begin, just waiting for all the equipment to arrive!
I'll try to update here all my set up and experience :)

Can't wait to add my futur oscellaris clownfish duo and few soft and lps corals !
(I have already pre-order a orange storm clownfish and a nearly naked clownfish )

Thanks for reading, and good reefing! ✌

I put here some pics I have from my past reef

Screenshot_20240114_123732_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20240114_123827_Facebook.jpg
Welcome back to reefing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 110 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back