Coming Back

Mtnfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From '88 to '95, I was owned and operated an aquarium shop in Durham, NC. I did fresh, outdoor pond, marine and reef tanks. While there we were experimenting with a new item called a protein skimmer. We drove it with wooden air stones. A refugium had never been discussed (or heard of) although we did keep macro algae in some of our sumps for reasons that were better understood only much later. I've not enjoyed salt since then although I did have my 125 set up as a heavily planted fresh tank a couple years ago. I used a 20 lb. CO2 cylinder with 3 diffusers and literally harvested plants by the fist full. We've just finished building a new home and now I'm ready to get back into a reef tank. I've only been a member here a few days but have learned so much. I'm amazed at how far the hobby has come in such a short time. I'll be using the 125 with a hang on the back skimmer box feeding a 40 long aquarium I'll be using for my refugium. The center two feet will be used for the actual refugium with the first 12 inches used for a prefilter and protein skimmer and the last 12 inches for the return pump, as a start. Oh, and btw, my shop was named Carabensaras. Cara was my wife, Ben, my son, and Sara, my daughter. Thanks for having me. rog

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From '88 to '95, I was owned and operated an aquarium shop in Durham, NC. I did fresh, outdoor pond, marine and reef tanks. While there we were experimenting with a new item called a protein skimmer. We drove it with wooden air stones. A refugium had never been discussed (or heard of) although we did keep macro algae in some of our sumps for reasons that were better understood only much later. I've not enjoyed salt since then although I did have my 125 set up as a heavily planted fresh tank a couple years ago. I used a 20 lb. CO2 cylinder with 3 diffusers and literally harvested plants by the fist full. We've just finished building a new home and now I'm ready to get back into a reef tank. I've only been a member here a few days but have learned so much. I'm amazed at how far the hobby has come in such a short time. I'll be using the 125 with a hang on the back skimmer box feeding a 40 long aquarium I'll be using for my refugium. The center two feet will be used for the actual refugium with the first 12 inches used for a prefilter and protein skimmer and the last 12 inches for the return pump, as a start. Oh, and btw, my shop was named Carabensaras. Cara was my wife, Ben, my son, and Sara, my daughter. Thanks for having me. rog
Welcome to R2R!!
welcome12_af875eaa887ed91c39e4c81c7d4fd966-0ed06ab93ea565647147c6beddbca4eb.gif
zOk7nol.gif

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

Please keep us posted with your build with lots of photos! :)

OP
OP
Mtnfish

Mtnfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcone back! Tons of great information on here.
You're right, there is, and with the knowledge I've gained here, I've ordered a Bubble Magus Curve 7 and am now researching lighting. I've already got enough T-5's to put four tubes from end to end but I'd like to add an LED assembly also. I'll be looking and listening. Thanks again.

OP
OP
Mtnfish

Mtnfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol... had enough of the business side, huh? Well, I've always heard that if you turn your hobby into a job, it's no longer fun!
It was fun but it was probably the most labor intensive job I've ever had. If I'd had a corner store, I would not have come in to Corn Flakes that had ich, pork and beans that had died or potato chips that needed some kind of treatment. I didn't have to advertise to have a good business. It didn't take long to get peoples trust when they would buy a combo, take it home and set it up and come back the same or the next day and want to fill it with fish and I'd talk them out of buying but just a few fish to get it cycled. That part was fun. But I was open 7 days and week and was truly married to the place. After seven years wife gave me a choice, the store or her. I closed the store and went to Respiratory Therapy school. It was at UNC hospitals that I met my next wife. That'll teach her.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and back to reefing. It was a lot of fun for me when I came back, all the new toys.:) I set a budget and blew it away in the first month.:D One thing I will say is do not go cheap on some things;)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back