Coming home to a dead fish...

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well as the title says I got home from work to find my green clown goby being sucked into my HOB skimmer.... I have had him for 3 weeks now... Every other fish is fine in the tank no problems. Only thing is I added a wave maker to my tank today because the film on top of the tank and how cloudy the water was getting I needed more water movement... Well I guess that stressed my green clown goby to death.... I didn't have the wave maker figured out by the time I went to work so current was kind of strong but I thought 8 hours they will be fine... Well the green goby didn't like it I guess.because that's the only change I've made to the tank since he was added.... So today has been a bummer... I busted my butt to get him to eat he was being finiky but I finally got him to eat and now this.... This stinks

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish like those tend to die of old age pretty soon, relatively speaking. It could just be a coincidence. Don't beat yourself up, a wavemaker shouldn't stress a fish to death.

1654127216064.png

OP
OP
J

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not my parameters. All my other fish are totally fine nothing wrong at all. The goby was eating and was active he was starting to adventure out from his rock more. But when I added wave maker he went to hiding up by my filter. And then I got home from work and he was dead...

neo1738

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not my parameters. All my other fish are totally fine nothing wrong at all. The goby was eating and was active he was starting to adventure out from his rock more. But when I added wave maker he went to hiding up by my filter. And then I got home from work and he was dead...
Possible he was being attacked by another fish and somehow got caught etc.

OP
OP
J

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My green clown goby hosted a rock structure and had no problem and then one day I noticed him swimming around my HOB filter and when I got home from work that day he was being sucked into my skimmer and was no longer alive... :(

OP
OP
J

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh how I wish ahaha I would have no losses if they could let me know what was going on

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the goby.
I agree it sounds like aggression. Often times, submissive fish will be “pinned” up by the filter intake by the dominant one.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sometimes fish just die.
I’ve found ones that hide all the time often don’t do very well. Likely something when they were caught.

years ago Blue tangs were a huge gamble as they were caught with cyanide gas.
they would live long enough to get to the LFS but died a month later. I don’t think they do that any more

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back