Comparing filter rollers- **your reviews wanted!**

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After doing some research on filter rollers, I thought I would share what I came up with regarding the difference brands of filter rollers and how the pricing would work out for a nice sized tank.

The tank ratings are confusing, given some that the units have almost identical fleece, and theoretically should clog at the same rate. I guess it shows how arbitrary the ratings are between manufacturers. I chose the most similar models, usually the largest, to compare the units.

1. Teilung Roller Matt. $395
  • Holds 135 ft of 50 micron 6" wide fleece. Roll cost: $30 $.22/FT
  • Rated 200-600gph
  • 17" long X 10" wide X 19" tall

2. KLIR DI-7. $299 + $150 for bracket if not used in sock tray.
  • 150 feet of 50 micron 6" wide fleece. Roll cost: Unknown
  • Rated 1800 GPH
  • 7" Long x 7" Wide x 19.5 tall (**Without filter bracket)

3. CLARISEA SK-5000 Gen 2 $399
  • 82 Ft of 20 Micron 6" wide fleece. Roll cost: $30 $.36/FT
  • Rated 1320 GPH
  • SMART ALARM: Out of floss, jam, etc. <-- Awesome feature IMO!
4. Bubble Magnus FIlter Roller $199
  • 82 Ft of Unknown Micron 6" wide fleece. Roll cost: $19, $.24/FT
  • 12" long x 15.5 wide by 14" tall

From what I see online, the Clarisea SK-5000 Gen 2 is the most feature laden, with the alarms at a low fleece condition. Its fleece is much shorter than the Theiling or KLIR units, but is also 20 micron versus the 50 micron filter of its competitors. Will definitely need changing more often.

The bubble Magnus looks like the most budget friendly, "Only what you need and nothing more" option.

Fleece cost is generally consistent at around $.25 per foot, but the Clarisea has slightly more expensive fleece at $.36/FT - which is much finer than the other brands at 20 micron. This will improve tank clarity, at the expense of using more fleece. It seems to

Fleece cost is not non-significant. If the advertised ratings (~2 months) are accurate, you are paying ~$180 a year. This assumes that your tank has the same waste as the manufacturer tested it with...... In my experience, I generally get 2/3 to a half of what manufacturers advertise: so ~$300 year in fleece. :confused:

What are your thoughts? Is a filter roller something you are interested in adding to your tank, at ~$300 initial cost and $200-$300 a year in fleece? Or will you stick with changing floss once a week, and put that $$$ towards something else?

TheHarold

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got an email yesterday from BRS that there is a new compact rollermat option from Theiling. May want to add it to your assessment - it is cheaper.

I think a lot of it has to do with your use case. The fact that the kilr fits into a sump sock holder makes it an obvious choice for many, and also makes it unusable for many as well.

I have two rollermats and I am happy enough with them, but mostly because they were the only option when I bought them 1-2 years ago. I would be interested in a more streamlined feature rich option, especially one that handled more flow.

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got an email yesterday from BRS that there is a new compact rollermat option from Theiling. May want to add it to your assessment - it is cheaper.

I think a lot of it has to do with your use case. The fact that the kilr fits into a sump sock holder makes it an obvious choice for many, and also makes it unusable for many as well.

I have two rollermats and I am happy enough with them, but mostly because they were the only option when I bought them 1-2 years ago. I would be interested in a more streamlined feature rich option, especially one that handled more flow.

I am aware of the compact model, but because price and fleece was a factor, f0r this comparison I chose the most similar models. The theiling compact unit competes with the DI-4 in terms of price and capacity- not the DI-7 that was here.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully within the next few months we will see more reviews on all of these. I personally like the look of the clarisea. The klir looks like a toilet paper dispenser to me, which is basically what it is so kinda hard to work around.

The clarisea looks very nice and has some great features, but I wish it would fit into the sock holders like the klir does. I'm holding out to see reviews as well. I don't run socks all the time, but would probably use one of these

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully within the next few months we will see more reviews on all of these. I personally like the look of the clarisea. The klir looks like a toilet paper dispenser to me, which is basically what it is so kinda hard to work around.

The clarisea looks very nice and has some great features, but I wish it would fit into the sock holders like the klir does. I'm holding out to see reviews as well. I don't run socks all the time, but would probably use one of these

But you are willing to spend the $200 a year to avoid changing floss/socks?

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I dunno? Maybe? But I would probably only run it a week on, then a few weeks off, just to polish the water. I really notice no difference in my tank with, or without socks, other than nothing floating around in the water. I put socks in when I clean the tank/sand, or when I notice more stuff than normal floating around in the tank. I would hope to use an auto roller the same way.

Great breakdown on the units so far! We just need some reviews from first hand experience now

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my issue, but I only have a single sock in my sump. I considered the klir, but my eshopps sump has a rectangle sock and a weird opening so i'm not sure if could do it. Thought about trying to make it work, then realized it's just not that big of a deal to change my sock. I currently have 6 socks, so washing them isn't a big deal either and doesn't happen that often. Maybe one day, right now I can't see going through the trouble.

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dunno? Maybe? But I would probably only run it a week on, then a few weeks off, just to polish the water. I really notice no difference in my tank with, or without socks, other than nothing floating around in the water. I put socks in when I clean the tank/sand, or when I notice more stuff than normal floating around in the tank. I would hope to use an auto roller the same way.

Great breakdown on the units so far! We just need some reviews from first hand experience now

I use filter cups in my reefer 350. Super easy- when the floss is saturated with gooey brown goop, the cup overflows and I replace the floss. $30 initial cost, and nominal yearly cost. This is about every week, or week and a half. Doesn’t really matter if I am a few days late to swap the floss, since water just bypasses it and goes into the sump. It’s hard to beat that. But I am considering a roller on a larger built, which is why I did that research.

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how about water and electricity for washing socks,without clothes(obviously)over the course of a year,in addition to the convienience

I use filter cups in my 2 4” sockholders- $30 initial cost, and then disposable (super cleap) floss. So to me, filter rollers are a convenience at a cost. But that’s the sort of feedback I’m interested in hearing, whether it would be worth it to you!

Last edited:

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That 20 micron floss is going to clog quick if you are operating at the higher ends of their flow recommendations. That is something I never see them say. Because the more water flow, the faster the water level will rise given a certain level of clogging. This will cause it to rotate the fleece at a much faster rate. I have a feeling these things are like inkjet printers. They sale you the printer at close to cost and get you on the cartridges.

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That 20 micron floss is going to clog quick if you are operating at the higher ends of their flow recommendations. That is something I never see them say. Because the more water flow, the faster the water level will rise given a certain level of clogging. This will cause it to rotate the fleece at a much faster rate. I have a feeling these things are like inkjet printers. They sale you the printer at close to cost and get you on the cartridges.

I am sure we will see aftermarket floss pop up at 1/2-1/3 the cost though, it’s just 6” fleece rolled up. Heck, that would be a fantasic business to start right now. Buy fleece in bulk and cut it down to 6” wide rolls, make a fortune. Repeat. Even better if you offer more micron sizes for those who don’t like the single stock option.

Last edited:

Metasyntactic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm like 80% sure that the fleece filter rolls they sell for these are just coolant filter paper. If so, you can get it for like half of what these are being sold for. Even if it's not exactly the same material, coolant filter paper will almost certainly work.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back