Comparing filter rollers- **your reviews wanted!**

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have the sk-5000 on my 135. Like many others I am constantly looking for the "next best thing". All you have to do is look in my garage and check the "old reef equipment" section for proof of that. I got rid of my socks quite a while ago as part of the battle against high PO4. Found that even with "bleach washing" and changing out my socks weekly, getting rid of them had an immediate positive effect. The drawback, of course is dirtier water and detritus in the sump. Finally settled on the Clarisea as it seemed to get the most positive reviews. Have to say that it ranks as one of my top 3 equipment purchases along side my Orpheks and Lifereef skimmer. Easy to assemble, install and maintain. Has solved my "going sockless" issues and water seems to have almost a polish to it. Also, so far, seems to be helping control my PO4 issue. Don't think I will need space for it in my garage any time soon.

I am soooooooo happy to hear that because I purchased the Carisea SK-500 for my 180 gallon build.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the Bubble Magus unit for two months now. It is really awesome, not having to worry about changing socks every few days is great. My first roll lasted about 5.5 weeks but I suspect now they will last more like 8+ weeks from here on out. Changing the roll is not the easiest, but it's not too bad.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about the Clarisea SK-500...

Can you use the overflow hole to feed it?
My drain is 1.5 inch and I don't want to reduce it to 1 inch.

A 1 inch pvc pipe fits nicely in the intake hole.
Right now, I have a 1 inch pvc pipe going through the intake hole. I use the gaskets that came with the unit on the outside of the pipe and capped the pipe off on both ends. This should keep the water inside the Clairsea.

As long as I can use the overflow opening to feed the Clairsea, I should be good.

So...
Can I feed it from the overflow opening?

mrjoev

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat. My overflow will be set up with 1.5" as well.

Right now, I have a 1 inch pvc pipe going through the intake hole. I use the gaskets that came with the unit on the outside of the pipe and capped the pipe off on both ends. This should keep the water inside the Clairsea.

As long as I can use the overflow opening to feed the Clairsea, I should be good.

So...

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up the
bubble magus filter roller
it was to big for my sump....Im tryong to find a sump now but once I get it in I will update every couple weeks
What are the exact dementions of the part of the filter that sits inside the sump? Just the footprint. I know there are brackets and the elbow supply fitting.

kwan8911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 3” core is required because of the foam inserts that it goes on. The 50 yard roll is the max that will fit on the standard setup, but I’m sure if you wanted to fit longer rolls then you could modify where the rolls sit and move them up and out. But honestly, 50yards is the perfect length. I would not go longer because the waste in the roll is sitting there decaying and it would smell really bad.

Hi, how is your filter roll from eBay doing, does it perform the same as the Clarisea roll? I just bought a Sk3000 and trying to cut down the cost of filter roll

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So...
You absolutely can. I have the sk-5000 and I feed 3 1" pipes from the top. I am waiting on the coolant filter paper from ebay due to deliver Wednesday. It comes out to around $7 equivalent per roll from the 25m long clarisea rolls, 20 micron.
20190302_214933.jpg
20190302_214951.jpg
20190302_214939.jpg

ccurnick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Clarisea.. It took me a good bit to figure it out and get it rock and rolling, but once I did its basically set it and forget it. It has really reduced the amount of maintenance I need to do on a weekly basis, and with my AWC I am basically just down to making water once a week, and occasionally cleaning the glass. I dont think I will ever have a tank without one again.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dirty roll looks like it's got to be tight when full. I have two 1" full siphon drains. I was thinking I could diy a second 1" elbow on the opposite side in place of the threaded plug. I'm always playing around in the sump and I know i'd end up bumping something and the drain would start rubbing on the roll :confused:

Miker79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some poking around on eBay and found a seller out of Michigan. He sent me the MSDS on the filter it shows up to 0.1% formaldehyde. I wonder how that compares to Clarisea filter or if that is a insignificant amount.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the KLIR4 running a total water volume of 240 gallons, and about 400 GPH through it. So far it's worked well.... 6 Weeks in it's cleaning the water.
What a pleasure not using filter socks.

ShadowR55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some poking around on eBay and found a seller out of Michigan. He sent me the MSDS on the filter it shows up to 0.1% formaldehyde. I wonder how that compares to Clarisea filter or if that is a insignificant amount.
Formaldehyde aka Formalin is used in the treatment of fish in much bigger concentrations. I have had no ill effects using it, .1% is insignificant.

Manny Tavan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://ebay.us/fMVaim
I tell him to split into four 4” x 50 yd rolls on 3” cores. If you have the 6” then you can look for a longer roll and then have him split that one.

Do you have an updated link of which filter roll you buy? That link is dead now. I would love to switch to something cheaper than the clarisea

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the Bubble Magus unit for two months now. It is really awesome, not having to worry about changing socks every few days is great. My first roll lasted about 5.5 weeks but I suspect now they will last more like 8+ weeks from here on out. Changing the roll is not the easiest, but it's not too bad.

Just wanted to update - I am still on my second roll. I suspect it will last about another week, which makes about 3.25 months in total. Pretty awesome device, this thing.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this thread... good info here.

I'm sockless... because I _know_ I'm not going to change sox often enough for them to do any good. Simply not going to happen. I HATE washing sox.

Looking at removing the sand from my system and seriously upgrading flow rates in the tank. A bare bottom system practically requires some sort of mechanical filtration... and I _know_ I'm not going to change sox... so I've been seriously looking at the various rollermat options.

My sump setup is a bit odd... honesly, I think the Bubble Magus will fit my system better than the others. Even with that, I'm going to need to do a little creative plumbing.

Anyone using a rollermat with a seperate pump, rather than using the overflow to feed it? If I do it that way, the original Theiling would make sense. Set it OUTSIDE my sump, plumbed so that it feeds back into my refugeum, with a properly sized pump in the skimmer section feeding it. I know it couldn't be as efficient, since not all of the overflow water runs through the filter media, but it's gotta be better than nothing.

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Coolant-fi...e&pageci=ffb237d3-c3ad-48d3-bb15-d1c01ce474c5
This is the guy I used. He was enormously helpful and has rolls 6" long that fit the clarisea 5000. He also has the capacity to custom cut for other systems.
I am still on my first roll from the beginning of March, at 20 micron. I may bump up to 30 or 50 next order, but that will likely be a while since my first order was 8 rolls for $99.00 shipped.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back