Comparing filter rollers- **your reviews wanted!**

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this thread... good info here.

I'm sockless... because I _know_ I'm not going to change sox often enough for them to do any good. Simply not going to happen. I HATE washing sox.

Looking at removing the sand from my system and seriously upgrading flow rates in the tank. A bare bottom system practically requires some sort of mechanical filtration... and I _know_ I'm not going to change sox... so I've been seriously looking at the various rollermat options.

My sump setup is a bit odd... honesly, I think the Bubble Magus will fit my system better than the others. Even with that, I'm going to need to do a little creative plumbing.

Anyone using a rollermat with a seperate pump, rather than using the overflow to feed it? If I do it that way, the original Theiling would make sense. Set it OUTSIDE my sump, plumbed so that it feeds back into my refugeum, with a properly sized pump in the skimmer section feeding it. I know it couldn't be as efficient, since not all of the overflow water runs through the filter media, but it's gotta be better than nothing.

I don't know if it will help your plumbing situation, but you can feed the drain to the BM from either side, and put the motor on either side as well. All the pictures show the motor on one side and drain on the other but if you put them both on the same side it makes it ~4-5" narrower.

Manny Tavan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Just ordered 2 rolls of the 4”. I got the 20 micron. Will see how that goes. Like you i may eventually bump up to 50 on the next orderp

Manny Tavan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That new roll from ebay really makes the skimmer go crazy. I hope it won’t cause issues with my corals. Especially the sps

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which ebay supplier did you use out of curiosity? I have never had that happen.

Manny Tavan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered from this seller

BA0C47BC-5C37-4C41-AA41-B7E2C9FCE0DC.png

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone using a rollermat with a seperate pump, rather than using the overflow to feed it? If I do it that way, the original Theiling would make sense. Set it OUTSIDE my sump, plumbed so that it feeds back into my refugeum, with a properly sized pump in the skimmer section feeding it. I know it couldn't be as efficient, since not all of the overflow water runs through the filter media, but it's gotta be better than nothing.

I’m doing this on my setup. Water enters the first chamber of the sump and a portion is pumped to my rollermat which sits above the sump and drains into the second chamber of my sump. The remainder of the water just flows over a baffle into the second chamber. Seems to work fine.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone having issues with clarisea and coolant paper being too elastic/too tight?

I think it works well otherwise but for the fact that it doesn’t move as easy as the original.

Anyone else using coolant paper experience this?

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does seem a little tighter and inelastic, but if I can get the roller set and tightened in right to keep the roll straight, it doesn't seem to effect it much.

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread! I'm trying to figure out if one of these will fit with my sump. I have a recessed dual sock (squares) on one end but anyone have a link that clearly shows how these fit in and what space is needed? Probably Clarisea. It just seems much more complicated then if say a skimmer will fit in a space.
Thanks,
Todd

Diznaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That new roll from ebay really makes the skimmer go crazy. I hope it won’t cause issues with my corals. Especially the sps

That's interesting, I found this thread looking to see if anyone else had issues with the Clarisea rollers making their skimmers stop working. I didn't have the issue at first, but after I replaced the first roll my skimmer quit foaming. I didn't connect the dots until the second roll was done. My skimmer started working again. It took me a week to get a new roll installed and then my skimmer immediately quit working again. It was as soon as the new roller fleece hit the water, not because it cleaned so well my skimmer had nothing to do. I tested it by shutting of the Clarisea. After a few days my skimmer worked again, actually borderline "crazy". Then I took a piece of Clarisea filter roller and dropped it in my sump. My skimmer almost immediately stopped foaming again. This piece of Clarisea filter was not actually filtering, it was just soaking in the water.

I'm almost convinced the Clarisea roller fleece is leaching some type of substance that is preventing my skimmer from foaming. My skimmer will quit foaming for about an hour if I feed certain things, or get my arms in the tank. I think that every time the filter advances it adds new "oils" and kills the skimmer foam.

Maybe your skimmer going crazy was actually your skimmer working properly again?

I'm going to try the 50µm coolant paper from ebay. It appears the seller has realized the demand and offers a 3" core of 50yds (20µm and 50µm). Without the need for a special order.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Coolant-...m=264228875955&_trksid=p2047675.c100752.m1982

Diznaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the new rolls from ebay the other day and changed one out last night. My skimmer is working normal again. So now I have a cheaper option then Clarisea and it doesn't stop my skimate production!

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the new rolls from ebay the other day and changed one out last night. My skimmer is working normal again. So now I have a cheaper option then Clarisea and it doesn't stop my skimate production!
Thanks for letting us know! Great news!

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the larger rollers off of eBay, what is the overall height of the unit including the roller mat?

HCl+NaHO=

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the ClariSea
Out of the box.

e815f0f461f2dfc1f53058dfc7545324.jpg

Why are people putting these together like a some tinker toy setup. For $400.

And not complaining

This is either a joke, absurd. Or I am completely missing something

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dremmeled my Red Sea Reefer 250 to be able to fit the Klir DI-4 (details under the build thread below). Took a few adjustments and sensor replacement (faulty), but after fine tuning, works great. Don’t miss changing filter socks. Does anyone know if they sell Klir DI-4 sized rolls on ebay, similar to what you guys described for Clarisea?

AB4FB0B6-2458-45F9-932E-2B16ACCA10A1.jpeg

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dremmeled my Red Sea Reefer 250 to be able to fit the Klir DI-4 (details under the build thread below). Took a few adjustments and sensor replacement (faulty), but after fine tuning, works great. Don’t miss changing filter socks. Does anyone know if they sell Klir DI-4 sized rolls on ebay, similar to what you guys described for Clarisea?

AB4FB0B6-2458-45F9-932E-2B16ACCA10A1.jpeg
The same vendor can cut rolls to size for you.

tqpolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the thought on Clarisea releasing the SK3000XL and SK5000XL replacement rolls? They say to last twice as long. How's it compare to ebay rolls?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back