Comparing filter rollers- **your reviews wanted!**

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Motor does fit both side however it will spin the wrong way if you switch sides on the motor... so not motor is not for eather side on Bubble Magus.. however the plumbing is...I even tried to reverse motor electrically and it did but it was spinning non stop couldn't get it to work as intended... than agai. Iam not electric geek nor am I to smart .. so if there is a way I would love to know how to do this

You just have to feed the paper roll onto the motor spool the opposite way. I've been running mine like this for over a year.

aecombie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Bubble Magus filter roll .. running it on RSR350 with 40 breeder sump and 20 gallon Petco frag tank all plumed thru same filter roll... started it on 8-31-2019 and I still have 1/2 the original roll left... backround... I am running 1 return pump for the whole system... maybe 120g total water.. running Jebao DCT 10000 at 50% bc I dont belive in huge turnover thru sump ... my sump does have some debris in it but nothing like before...does the filter work?... well its dirty as all hell I still have tiny bit of things flying around in DT but that could be due to fact that I run BB system.. not a heavy bioload..so... I mean it beats cleaning socks and changing floss.... for $200 I am happy... but it isn't perfect be all end all to filtration
I’m running a thieling compact roller mat, and although the fleece looks really dirty, it’s not catching everything. I recently made some DIY fish/ coral food using BRS recipe, and right away I noticed some pieces of seaweed floating around in my sump. I’m not sure how it’s getting passed my roller mat, but it is.

Shelbytwp123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running a thieling compact roller mat, and although the fleece looks really dirty, it’s not catching everything. I recently made some DIY fish/ coral food using BRS recipe, and right away I noticed some pieces of seaweed floating around in my sump. I’m not sure how it’s getting passed my roller mat, but it is.
I absolutely agree with you ..
Hence still having some debrie in my sump after filter roll install.. but it's still day and night cleaner than with out... and I dont think its brand specific I think they all let some of the debris get by

sgterik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone pult the KLIR 4" in a Red Sea Max S650? ANy issues?

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there one brand that really stands out?

Based on reviews left by owners:
The Theiling compact appears to be good, but semi fragile.
The Bubble Magus seems to be the most affordable and the largest.
The Clarisea appear to to be the most expensive.

Now that some of you have been using these for awhile...what are your thoughts? Is this an accurate assessment?

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update from me. Of the samples sent to me from the Ebay seller one really works well. I traded messages with him this week and he's going to take pictures and list that product soon. It will be 1/2 the price of the Clarisea roll and works just as well in my opinion. It does not have the stretching issue that the older Ebay listings had.

The company listing it is preconfilter and I'm sure he'd be happy to have us contact him directly to avoid the Ebay commissions. The owner has been great to work with and I'd highly recommend his new product. The roll I have in has lasted me since December but I've been running my tank fallow due to ich so haven't been feeding the inverts nearly as much as when I had fish in the tank. Fish go back in next Sunday!

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update from me. Of the samples sent to me from the Ebay seller one really works well. I traded messages with him this week and he's going to take pictures and list that product soon. It will be 1/2 the price of the Clarisea roll and works just as well in my opinion. It does not have the stretching issue that the older Ebay listings had.

The company listing it is preconfilter and I'm sure he'd be happy to have us contact him directly to avoid the Ebay commissions. The owner has been great to work with and I'd highly recommend his new product. The roll I have in has lasted me since December but I've been running my tank fallow due to ich so haven't been feeding the inverts nearly as much as when I had fish in the tank. Fish go back in next Sunday!
Just need the way to contact him directly. I’m ready to order one to try.

Kpdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just need the way to contact him directly. I’m ready to order one to try.

I contacted Steve through the link below. He was quick with his response and I have an order in already.

Pny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What micron rating are they?

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone looked at the deltec? Or the $$$ bubble king?
1582374771256.png
1582374810331.png

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contacted Steve through the link below. He was quick with his response and I have an order in already.
Is there a specific model/product number I need to give him for the ClariSea 5000 roll?

Kpdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a specific model/product number I need to give him for the ClariSea 5000 roll?

No there isn't. Just tell them you want it for the Clarisea 5000 and they'll take care of it. Thank you gobble for all the leg work on this find.

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tell him the 6" roll. His internal naming on the material that won my little test was PP15.

Here it is in actation on my Clarisea.

IMG_0663.jpg

I don't know the micron rating. If anyone finds out I'd be curious to know.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered directly from the guy. There is a 10% discount if you do that.

Here is his response regarding the rolls and micron rating.

The material is polypropylene and filters down to approximately the 35-30 micron range.

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like the Ebay links are active:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264647477172
https://www.ebay.com/itm/264647479680

I have no investment in these other than my time testing the different samples that were sent to me, but I'd highly recommend the final product and the seller. I tested quite a few types of materials that didn't work mostly because of stretching. The one that did and the one he is now selling is a very close match and I believe the same type of material as the branded product (for half the price). I'll be interested to see other reviews as you guys start buying this stuff.

If he's really selling 10% off if you buy direct that's a bonus.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like the Ebay links are active:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264647477172
https://www.ebay.com/itm/264647479680

I have no investment in these other than my time testing the different samples that were sent to me, but I'd highly recommend the final product and the seller. I tested quite a few types of materials that didn't work mostly because of stretching. The one that did and the one he is now selling is a very close match and I believe the same type of material as the branded product (for half the price). I'll be interested to see other reviews as you guys start buying this stuff.

If he's really selling 10% off if you buy direct that's a bonus.
Here is my email from Steve where he talks about the 10% discount. I bought 2 to try. If I’m happy with them then I will get more. He has already shipped mine.

Hello Ken,

Thank you for contacting us. I apologize for the delayed response. We had a lot of work come in over the weekend and I have been playing catch-up all day. We have some new material that a helpful customer has been testing for us in his SK-5000 to good effect. We have a two-roll minimum order quantity for these rolls, and they will be listed at $35 plus shipping (UPS Ground) on Ebay. There is a 10% discount for purchasing directly from us (does not apply to shipping). If you would like to send me your mailing address, I would be happy to send you a PayPal link for the total amount tomorrow, in case you would like to order. We ship within one business day of payment confirmation. Thank you again for your interest; we hope to hear from you soon.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 77.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back