Comparing filter rollers- **your reviews wanted!**

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the key to these given the shipping cost is to buy a year's supply all at once. The Clarisea roll has free shipping but is double the price.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the key to these given the shipping cost is to buy a year's supply all at once. The Clarisea roll has free shipping but is double the price.
I ordered 2 rolls to try. Worked out to be $21.25/roll. Yes if these work well then I will order a years supply.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just installed one of the new rolls last night. It’s working great so far. Thanks to all that made this happen.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just installed one of the new rolls last night. It’s working great so far. Thanks to all that made this happen.

Nice! Keep us posted on how it does long term. Will also be interested in hearing if it lasts longer or if there isn't much difference since it's pretty close to the 20 micron rating of the Clarisea brand roll.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Keep us posted on how it does long term. Will also be interested in hearing if it lasts longer or if there isn't much difference since it's pretty close to the 20 micron rating of the Clarisea brand roll.
Will do.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update. New roller mat has been in place for about 2.5 weeks now. I think it is working as good if not better as the ClariSea one. My ClariSea would last 3 weeks. I’m not sure if this new one is longer or not, but I’m definitely going to go past 3 weeks. Plus when I installed this roller mat I did a really good cleaning of my sand which stirred up a lot of detritus. I’ll update again when the mat runs out.
C78A1F64-5E27-40CA-A9E4-8FCE761BEF22.jpeg

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it's doing a good job at collecting waste too!
Yes indeed. I’m thrilled with the ClariSea device and this less expensive roller mat roll. With my setup I can’t filter all of the water at one time through the ClariSea device. So it takes sometime for all of the water to get filtered. Even with it setup that way, my water has never been so clear. I’m waiting for the smaller ClariSea to go on sale so I can get one for my 60 cube. That one will be able to filter all of the water coming from the tank into the sump.

Monkeytank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all this info! I have two ClariSea Sk5000's and needed a cheaper source for the replacement rolls. I have washed the ClariSea roll and rewound it onto the cardboard tube to use again. I sprayed it pretty clean in the sink and then ran it through the clothes washer with no soap, then through the dryer. It actually worked just fine, but it really was a pain getting it rolled back up. It twisted a lot in the dryer, so I had to constantly unfurl it as I was rolling it back on. I tried cutting it in half, but that didn't really accomplish much other than making each redone roll last half as long. Was it worth doing that way? Yes and no. Between time and cost of water and running the washer and dryer, versus $35 a roll for the name brand replacement, probably. Versus half that cost, for a viable alternative, probably not.

My thought on the ClariSea SK5000 is overall it works, but it sure could be improved and cost less. I have had trouble getting the rolls lined up perfectly, and have had it stop several times because got off centered enough to jam it. The way the roll is only supported on one end for the uptake side (and the new roll side too) doesn't make sense to me. Mine tends to sag a little and I think some of the friction that makes it jam comes from the fleece pushing against the acrylic on the side where it isn't supported.To me, replacing the rolls is pain in the rear. It's hard to get the used roll off, and I've ended up unrolling it manually. I'm sure there is operator error at work there. I've stapled on replacement rolls to feed the new one through, but it's still a pain to me. The design of the plastic sleeve to roll the fleece onto the take up side is a pain in the rear to me. The alarm is not very loud when it is jammed, but the only negative consequence while it is jammed is that it isn't advancing and filtering, it isn't hurting anything - just not helping like it should be. The cost is ridiculous for acrylic that is sort of a pain to put together. The mounting option wasn't big enough for the lip of the sump I have, is I have to set it in the sump on some rocks to get it up high enough, and sometimes it leans one way or the other. I can make a platform to level it when I move some of the rock out of the sump and into my new tank I'll be plumbing into the system. I'm sure a DIY version of these things could be made for a fraction of the cost, but I don't have the time to work on one.

The design of the Innovitech X-Filter looks way better and easier to replace rolls, but they are out of stock and are priced at £450.00 which is $550. Their design for the replacement roll and uptake roll installation is far superior. They use rods that go all the way across and drop in. Super simple and far better support than the ClariSea.

wishntoboutside

Snow flake
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running 2 of the KLIR 7 inch filters with the y adapters to sync the motors together now for about 5 months now. I did have a learning curve with the photo eye placement but after I got past that these have exceeded my expectations. Less floating dust in my 450 gallon tank and pretty easy to install and service when needed. The rolls have last me around 2.5 to 3 months. I have calendared them so I can have more accurate timing of the life of these going forward.
Prior to this I was using 4 filter socks and 2 of these now are blocked off with diverter plates.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find changing the roller mat to be a little bit of a pain, but it’s not difficult. I staple the new roll to the old roll and then help it as I feed it through. Getting the old roll off I use a sharp razor to cut it off. 10min once a month I can handle that.

seldon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had any experience with the AquaMaxx AF-1 filter roller?

I see it's selling for $199.99 regular price and has the following specs, but am curious on real life use.

Flow Rate: 1320 gph
Roll Width: 6"
Roll Length: 82 ft
Roll Micron Rating: 50µ

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered 6 rolls, PP15, 6" x 50 yds. 3" ID @ $17.50 each = $105.00
I ordered direct from Steve at Precision Converting. So he gives a 10% direct purchase discount = $94.50
+ UPS Ground shipping $22.19
Total price = $116.69

AZ_Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered 6 rolls, PP15, 6" x 50 yds. 3" ID @ $17.50 each = $105.00
I ordered direct from Steve at Precision Converting. So he gives a 10% direct purchase discount = $94.50
What about this one? I have sk5000.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is also the sk5000. Not sure what the eBay one is. I order direct from Steve since he gives a discount ordering direct vs ordering from him on eBay. His email is [email protected]. I would contact him directly. He will send you a PP invoice via email. Nice guy I’ve ordered from him twice already.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy them direct from Steve as KenO suggests or you can buy them from Steve on Ebay. You need to buy the correct ones or they will not work well! Hence this thread.. rayon/polyester is too stretchy and will not feed correctly.

rolls from steve on ebay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back