Comparing filter rollers- **your reviews wanted!**

NubNub1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

I would just like to add about the claresea sk-5000. The unit work as it should to start with now it is pulling more stuff out of my tank water as the tank matures it keeps getting stuck and the motor does not have enough power to advance the fleese and it goes drum tight. I have to keep unjaming it and you at get a day out of it before it get stuck again. I know I'm not the only person with this issue as I'm talking to others with the same problem. So I would be careful when choosing this as a option if your pulling out a lot of fish waste and algea you may get the same problem. Have contacted them they say about a screw in the motor but this is not the issue for me and after this they don't answer your emails. So just a word of warning don't know if the bubble Magnus has the same problem.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some issues with the small plastic rods at the bottom that appear to rotate as the fleece is pulled through. I was stirring up the sand and very tiny specks of grit would get in there and it would get harder and harder for the motor to advance the roll. Eventually it would get so hard to pull, the filter material would stretch and narrow and water would go past the sides. I had to take my unit out and pull it apart to clean it.

Worked perfectly after that. I am guessing that it might just need to be pulled apart a few times a year just to keep those little rods rotating freely.

NubNub1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it's not the issue the rods they are clear i have taken it apart and cleaned. It's the amount of algae and fish waste the filter fleece has in it combined with being further into to roll of fleece(not only person with problem). After you un-jam it the new fleece goes through as it should. It has only become a issue as the amount of algae has increased.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm Not sure I understand where it is jammed. My filter material is pretty dark so it's collecting fine stuff. I also see bits of larger material wound up in the roll.

Have you tried pulling the material through by grabbing below the motor to see how easily it goes through the filter? It should move pretty easily.

NubNub1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the filter material that gets stuck. What I mean by this is like you say I grab the material below the motor and it is taught, I have to pull it to un-jam it then it works as it should. The new clean material goes through with no issiues after this but then it gets dirty again works for a day then the same thing happens. I have to push it below the motor again to get it moving then the motor will wind it ok. I'm speaking to someone with the exact same issue, they have to keep cutting the old fleece off and reattach about 3 to 4 times for each roll of fleece. As it's ok to start with then starts happerning when more old fleece is on the motor roller.
It's doing my head in and would love to work out what wrong but I've cleaned it taken it apart and can't work out why is ok when it's clean filter material but dirty gets stuck.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm yes seems odd. That was the exact problem I had when the two little rods were not turning with the material down at the bottom but it did it with clean and dirty filter material. I have heard that water flow can play an issue. If you have high flow it puts pressure on the filter material against the white plastic pieces as it clogs. Have you tried lowering the float switch so that it will trigger sooner and do you have that little gate open at the bottom or all the way closed?

NubNub1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the gate fully closed and really want it fully closed. How would I lower the float switch. I was also thinking of turning the slots in the pipe to the side to see if this made a differences. It just why is it so tight and then ok once I get it moving again as water level is similar once unjamed.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thought was maybe as the filter material is clogging there is more pressure on it as water tries to go through the holes in the white plates. Do you have a rough idea how much water you have flowing through it? If you know anyone else with similar problem maybe see how their flow rates compare? Not sure if lowering the float would help but could get some plastic to make a bracket similar to the original that would set it lower in the unit. Might be worth a try to see what happens.

I would also pull it apart completely and clean everything and reassemble. Double check that the two small rods in the bottom spin freely before putting new filter material in and restarting.

Are you using the branded filter material or another?

NubNub1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flow rate is about 1500 litres and hour, and I'm using the branded xl matrial. I take it apart again this weekend and try to make a new braket see what happerns.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flow rate is about 1500 litres and hour, and I'm using the branded xl matrial. I take it apart again this weekend and try to make a new braket see what happerns.

Well that doesn't sound like too much flow pressing on the filter.

I still think there is a problem with the two small rods getting bound up and not turning freely. It doesn't take very long if you have very fine grit from sand bed getting stirred up frequently.

You mentioned the slots in the tube. Which way are they turned now?

NubNub1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are facing down was going to try up. I think your right about the rollers it's just what's the fix. I thought maybe some silicon lubricant.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are facing down was going to try up. I think your right about the rollers it's just what's the fix. I thought maybe some silicon lubricant.

Don't think I would want to put a lubricant in there and then run tank water through the filter. I am at a loss as to how to keep the rollers moving freely. Maybe if you contact the company and discuss the two rollers binding up and not turning smoothly they will have an idea.

NubNub1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm now in Facebook group with loads of people with the same problem. For some people it works fine but then a lot of people are having the same issue as me. I have contacted clarisea and they just say about the motor issue with the screw in the motor housing. When you say you have check this and it's not the problem they then just ignored me. So anyone buying this it looks like it's a lucky dip if it works as it should or not, I warn you. In the Facebook group people that can afford to are switching to the Royal Exclusiv Compact Fleece.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bubble magus filter roller is working great 2 months later. No complaints.

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my new Royal Exclusiv Roller mat yesterday. They certainly take pride in everything they do including the packing job. It only took 3 days to get here from Germany which I thought was very good considering the Covid stuff. I have 6 rolls currently but I will be reaching out to Steve to see if he can cut me some custom rolls when I get low.
IMG_4056.JPG

IMG_4058.JPG

IMG_4060.JPG
IMG_4068.JPG
IMG_4067.JPG

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 51 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back