Comparing filter rollers- **your reviews wanted!**

Bill Amaro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just attempted to send an email to [email protected] and received a blocked message. If still the correct email address to work directly with the supplier or is ebay the only way now to order rolls of filter paper these days?

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MikeTheNewbie Any luck? I'm looking for 10" replacement rolls and can't find anything. Trigger is sold out.
I ended up setting an in-stock alert in different websites and buying 2 OEM ones at regular price. I wish I could find a better alternative but I don't want to be fiddling with the system because of the difference in tube diameters. I saw someone re-rolled the material manually. I don't think its worth the effort for $2 per roll.
I'll keep an eye on this thread in case someone finds a good alternative for the Platinum 10" rolls.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up setting an in-stock alert in different websites and buying 2 OEM ones at regular price. I wish I could find a better alternative but I don't want to be fiddling with the system because of the difference in tube diameters. I saw someone re-rolled the material manually. I don't think its worth the effort for $2 per roll.
I'll keep an eye on this thread in case someone finds a good alternative for the Platinum 10" rolls.
Thanks. Was able to purchase 2 rolls...

Reefrats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been contemplating a filter roller to drop in my 4” sock compartment. Reading through this thread it seems like they still have a lot of issues. I’m tempted to try the klir each time the price drops. I read great reviews and awful ones too.

Manny Tavan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a clarisea on my tank. No issues. For my next build I’m going to try the bubble magus cause it’s cheaper

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Was able to purchase 2 rolls...
im right there with you guys (my post in middle if this thread). if you find a good work around plz post on here and ill do the same.
fwiw you KNOW that trigger not mfg these rolls... wish i could find out who they work with.

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run the original Rollermat for 2 years. Very bulky, difficult to fit in and in my opinion has a couple of design flaws, namely in the way the water floes through the unit. You will end up with a lot of gunk sitting at the bottom that you need to clean every now and then. Have changed to a Gen1 ClariSea and have been very happy with the unit over the past 3 years, although roll changes are a bit of a pain.

If I were to buy one now, I would likely go for the Deltec ones, as construction and easy of change of the filter rolls seem to be top notch. price (In Europe) is not far from the Royal Exclusive one though.

Finally, I would like to add a unconventional option: buy a cheap washing machine for your socks ;) You can find ones for under $200 and keep your filter socks. This would avoid the high cost of filter rolls and also much cheaper upfront cost, for those that 1) do not want to adapt their sumps to a filter roller, 2) do not want the annual running costs of a roller ad 3) do not want fish crap, bristle worms and all sport of nasties being washed along with your baby's clothes.

Me? I just do not want to clean filter socks so will continue with the rollers.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following
I'm looking at a new build and would like a roller mat... the information on this thread is fantastic
I have the clarisea 5000 and it works well. little bit of learning on best way to remove the old roll from the motor and just keeping an eye on it occasionally to make sure it's not bunching or shifting to one side or the other as it's rolling up. I wish there was more options for of the filter material. I would prefer something around 100 micron. The OM filters are 20micron and the ones from ebay are 30micron. I may look into the Deltec as I am impressed with the designs of their other products.

benapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have first-hand experience with how flow rate through the filter roller affects fleece usage?
My first ClariSea SK-5000 roll lasted 30 days (that was the first roll of a new 150 gallon reef using existing live rock and new sand). I know the first roll gets used up faster, so I’ll be watching this second roll.
I can afford to reduce the flow through my sump; just wondering if that would slow the fleece usage...

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How fast & how much material is used can be accomplished by either raising or lowering the water level in the unit.
The deeper in the water the more material is used per turn.
The higher in the water the less material is used but it turns quicker.
Don't have one so you have to try it to see what's better for you.

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Clarisea Gen2 5k roller for almost 2 years now. The only complaint I have with it is the changing of the roller. I have it in a RS250 sump and have to change the fleece about every 3 months or so. One of the best purchases I've made for my tank. I had a problem a year ago where the motor stopped working. I called eco-tech and they replaced it and threw in 2 filter rolls. I JUST changed to my last roll they supplied. So while more expensive, I think it's worth it.

JM2C

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After doing some research on filter rollers, I thought I would share what I came up with regarding the difference brands of filter rollers and how the pricing would work out for a nice sized tank.

The tank ratings are confusing, given some that the units have almost identical fleece, and theoretically should clog at the same rate. I guess it shows how arbitrary the ratings are between manufacturers. I chose the most similar models, usually the largest, to compare the units.

1. Teilung Roller Matt. $395
  • Holds 135 ft of 50 micron 6" wide fleece. Roll cost: $30 $.22/FT
  • Rated 200-600gph
  • 17" long X 10" wide X 19" tall

2. KLIR DI-7. $299 + $150 for bracket if not used in sock tray.
  • 150 feet of 50 micron 6" wide fleece. Roll cost: Unknown
  • Rated 1800 GPH
  • 7" Long x 7" Wide x 19.5 tall (**Without filter bracket)

3. CLARISEA SK-5000 Gen 2 $399
  • 82 Ft of 20 Micron 6" wide fleece. Roll cost: $30 $.36/FT
  • Rated 1320 GPH
  • SMART ALARM: Out of floss, jam, etc. <-- Awesome feature IMO!
4. Bubble Magnus FIlter Roller $199
  • 82 Ft of Unknown Micron 6" wide fleece. Roll cost: $19, $.24/FT
  • 12" long x 15.5 wide by 14" tall

From what I see online, the Clarisea SK-5000 Gen 2 is the most feature laden, with the alarms at a low fleece condition. Its fleece is much shorter than the Theiling or KLIR units, but is also 20 micron versus the 50 micron filter of its competitors. Will definitely need changing more often.

The bubble Magnus looks like the most budget friendly, "Only what you need and nothing more" option.

Fleece cost is generally consistent at around $.25 per foot, but the Clarisea has slightly more expensive fleece at $.36/FT - which is much finer than the other brands at 20 micron. This will improve tank clarity, at the expense of using more fleece. It seems to

Fleece cost is not non-significant. If the advertised ratings (~2 months) are accurate, you are paying ~$180 a year. This assumes that your tank has the same waste as the manufacturer tested it with...... In my experience, I generally get 2/3 to a half of what manufacturers advertise: so ~$300 year in fleece. :confused:

What are your thoughts? Is a filter roller something you are interested in adding to your tank, at ~$300 initial cost and $200-$300 a year in fleece? Or will you stick with changing floss once a week, and put that $$$ towards something else?

TheHarold
Many thanks for your review on the roller mats!!

I am going to be installed a Clarisea sk-5000 on my SCA 150 in my Synergy CL-44 sump!
I have also been doing a lot of research and getting people's opinions on each roller..
Ones I get installed and my Tanked hard plumbed i WILL give you a update on how it works for my system.

Attachments

• Synergy CL-44.jpeg
    Synergy CL-44.jpeg
    157.5 KB · Views: 57

ShaneJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im wanting to order some rolls from preconfilters on eBay but both of his 6" rolls say NOT recommended for use in Clarisea SK-5000
What are others using? I need them sent to Aus so its easier to pay through ebay.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Clarisea Gen2 5k roller for almost 2 years now. The only complaint I have with it is the changing of the roller. I have it in a RS250 sump and have to change the fleece about every 3 months or so. One of the best purchases I've made for my tank. I had a problem a year ago where the motor stopped working. I called eco-tech and they replaced it and threw in 2 filter rolls. I JUST changed to my last roll they supplied. So while more expensive, I think it's worth it.

JM2C
Ecotech is Clarisea? I thought it was that British guy, David Saxby, no?

Franksreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread. I’m getting ready to buy a filter roller. I might need two. I’ll have it running on about a 300 gallon system. I’m guessing I’ll have about 1500-2000 gph running through it.
Which rollermat or mats should I get? Cost is somewhat a issue. Aqua max? Bubblemagus? Clarissa? Or Klir?

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread. I’m getting ready to buy a filter roller. I might need two. I’ll have it running on about a 300 gallon system. I’m guessing I’ll have about 1500-2000 gph running through it.
Which rollermat or mats should I get? Cost is somewhat a issue. Aqua max? Bubblemagus? Clarissa? Or Klir?

None of the above. Trigger Platinum Serries is the way to go.

Franksreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of the above. Trigger Platinum Serries is the way to go.
That’s not a option. I don’t want their sump. I’m building my own sump that will be better for me. Unless they sell the roller filter seperatley?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.0%
Back